Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #1

variances from factory?

I'm looking at several new Jay Flight 28BHBE travel trailers. There's 2 we like at a local dealer, but, on the spec sheet, the first lists the GVWR as 8250 instead of 9250, I can't tell if that's just a typo or perhaps they just happened to put lesser axles on that one.

The second unit, appears to have an undermount sink that I haven't seen on any other similar models. Further research suggests this may be a solid-surface kitchen countertop (can't really tell from the pics), but that didn't appear to be an option on the Jayco website. Did that somehow just happen like that at the factory, or is it concerning? It seems like the starting base price is $300 more on this versus the other, which I couldn't figure out. I thought maybe it was just a slightly newer build and prices went up a bit, but maybe this explains it.
jp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

I’d take the higher gvwr. It has better bones if it’s rated higher and for $300 it seems like a no brainer.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #3

Which one was built later? Of course, like all manufacturers, Jayco reserves the right to make changes without going back and making retro changes to earlier built units.

I do concur. If the choice is between these two trailers, then take the trailer with the higher GVWR. Unless it truly is a typo, something about the trailer with the higher GVWR is better, whether better axles, better tires, or better suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp83 View Post
I'm looking at several new Jay Flight 28BHBE travel trailers. There's 2 we like at a local dealer, but, on the spec sheet, the first lists the GVWR as 8250 instead of 9250, I can't tell if that's just a typo or perhaps they just happened to put lesser axles on that one.

The second unit, appears to have an undermount sink that I haven't seen on any other similar models. Further research suggests this may be a solid-surface kitchen countertop (can't really tell from the pics), but that didn't appear to be an option on the Jayco website. Did that somehow just happen like that at the factory, or is it concerning? It seems like the starting base price is $300 more on this versus the other, which I couldn't figure out. I thought maybe it was just a slightly newer build and prices went up a bit, but maybe this explains it.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:30 AM   #4

The under mounted sink is the newer build. They started doing this in Feb. my brand new 29BHDB built in late March has this change too vs earlier builds. It’s also has other changes.

Insignia roku tv
2 black tank flushed instead of one
Plug and play reverse camera mount rather than simple pre wire

You should go after the on with under mount sink. It’s not solid surface, but it looks nicer. Look for the camera mount upgrade as well, perhaps it has this too.
seanb61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #5

Thanks for confirming seanb61. I tried replying to your other thread 2019 upgrades thread and linked to this one but needed mod approval since I'm new.

Unfortunately, it still has the Furrion TV. At first I thought it was 12V, but after reading realized Jayco doesn't do that, so ya, I'd prefer Roku or put my own in for <$750.

I don't know about the reverse camera, but will check it out when I go look in person.
Another one I looked at elsewhere, probably not as new, had the Furrion Wireless Pre-install kit, so maybe it's been around longer. Is that what you're referring to?

If the first one I mentioned truly is lower GVWR that rules it out in my mind, but waiting on the dealer to confirm. I was just hoping I'd have a fall back and more time to negotiate if there's 2 I'd be willing to pick from. Obviously, I prefer the undermount sink, and it also has the power remote, so I don't know if I'll be able to deal on that one as much.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:53 AM   #6

I posted a deal thread a while ago that may give you some insite on pricing. Look that up.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #7

My 28RL GVWR is 8,400 on the Jayco web site. The sticker on my trailer says 8,700.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
My 28RL GVWR is 8,400 on the Jayco web site. The sticker on my trailer says 8,700.
Added options ?
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post
The under mounted sink is the newer build. They started doing this in Feb. my brand new 29BHDB built in late March has this change too vs earlier builds. It’s also has other changes.

Insignia roku tv
2 black tank flushed instead of one
Plug and play reverse camera mount rather than simple pre wire

You should go after the on with under mount sink. It’s not solid surface, but it looks nicer. Look for the camera mount upgrade as well, perhaps it has this too.
If it's not a solid surface counter what would the counter be that they are under mounting the sink too?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
If it's not a solid surface counter what would the counter be that they are under mounting the sink too?

Hers a picture i took the other day. it looks like the same laminated top to wood below that they use with the over mounted sinks.
Attached Thumbnails
B203FC24-37FD-4AD2-B896-D2BDC321E573.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanb61 View Post
Hers a picture i took the other day. it looks like the same laminated top to wood below that they use with the over mounted sinks.
If you look it closely you can see the "grain" of the counter flow onto the front edge. I would say this is solid surface. Jayco would NOT be capable of installing an undermount sink in a laminate counter. It can be done, but it takes care and particular adhesives etc..

This certainly looks to be solid surface from the front edge and the build up around the sink...SS is typically 1/2" material built up to 1" at the sink and 1 1/2 at the edge.. Edge doesn't seem to be the typical PVC edgebanding to me.

Gonna have to go look at some new models .

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
If you look it closely you can see the "grain" of the counter flow onto the front edge. I would say this is solid surface. Jayco would NOT be capable of installing an undermount sink in a laminate counter. It can be done, but it takes care and particular adhesives etc..

This certainly looks to be solid surface from the front edge and the build up around the sink...SS is typically 1/2" material built up to 1" at the sink and 1 1/2 at the edge.. Edge doesn't seem to be the typical PVC edgebanding to me.

I’ll have a closer look this weekend when I’m at storage mounting maxx air vent covers.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:

You know what, i think you are right that it is solid surface now that I look at pics of other 29BHDB units without the undermount sink and compare to mine. I didn’t even realize that my counter was slightly different color / pattern and it’s clear that I don’t have the typical edgebanding I see in the pics of the others. It’s also clear that my bathrooom counters are laminate and don’t match the kitchen at all.

So another unexpected upgrade for my late 2018 unit.
Attached Thumbnails
19ADA984-73F3-4FB6-8771-8222DA101178.jpg  
Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #14

We ended up with the cheaper one, I confirmed the GVWR was a typo the dealer printed on the spec sheet. Since it was on the lot longer (built 8/17 vs 2/18) they were more motivated to sell and there was a $2000 price difference. Other than build date, the only listed option was the power remote. Besides the sink, the older one also has Coleman Mach 15 and 3 Plus A/Cs vs Dometic (w/ digital thermostat).

« Wheel Lube | Tanks »