Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #1

Vent Cover Choices and Science of color

Looking at Camco and Maxx Air Vent covers - Installing HENGS fans next week when they arrive and now want to maximize the ability to move air in unsettled weather and with towing the unit. Question is - Camco and Maxx Air look exactly the same with product and install - and pricing is similar. Then there is Maxx Air II unit more expensive and nothing special seemingly different. SO - now the science. Would a white vent (vs black or grey) cover, in theory, attract less heat to the unit or because the vent is so raised from the unit it won't matter. I appreciate your opinions and expertise!
Pikespeakfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #2

I've only had white Camco so I can't compare but I'm happy with mine. I did have one crack and blow off after about 18 months in the Texas wind and sun. Thankfully it was at night on a deserted stretch of Highway 10. I didn't see it blow off, but remember when it was last there and when it wasn't there.

One other thought on white is it does seem to allow more light in.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

On our 5th camper and have always used Maxx Air vent covers. Liked the white because they allowed more light in. I went with the Maxx Air FanMate because it allowed more air movement when used with a high powered fan. If you go this route don't forget the insect screen is an optional item but you can cut a piece of screen and attatch it to the rear vented area of the FanMate.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/p...covers/fanmate
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #4

I installed the Max Air II cover and Max Air fan. The cover is black and I've had it on for almost 2 years now. It doesn't let in too much light. We do have a window in the bathroom and a white dome for the shower, so its not a big deal. I do have it full open (fan) while in storage to help hot air dissipate and we never have any water come through, at least that I can tell. Same during driving.

Read reviews as some of the covers won't let the fan hatch open all the way. Even though both are mine are Max Air, the fan hatch only opens ~ 3/4 of the way, but I did read that prior to purchase. They may all be like that due to height of the covers.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Team

I have had great service from Maxxair II white vents. make sure they have the feature that allows them to be quickly lifted on one side for cleaning from above. I think that is standard now.

I did find that they don't allow the vent cover to go completely all the way up but it's a minimal thing to me.

The Maxxair II's are supposed to have slightly more screen area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

I installed a Camco cover over my bathroom vent fan. I'm not travelling but here in the mountains I get some pretty stiff winds and no problems with the cover so far.

The wind blows enough the I've installed tie downs on my TT!
Old 05-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikespeakfamily View Post
SO - now the science. Would a white vent (vs black or grey) cover, in theory, attract less heat to the unit or because the vent is so raised from the unit it won't matter. I appreciate your opinions and expertise!

I went with white Maxxair vents for my two vents. One, because I wanted to get the light to come through, and Two, I felt the black would definitely radiate more heat back into the coach. With the way these rigs are built, with limited insulation, it didn't make sense to do anything to make the A/C work even harder.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I went with white Maxxair vents for my two vents. One, because I wanted to get the light to come through, and Two, I felt the black would definitely radiate more heat back into the coach. With the way these rigs are built, with limited insulation, it didn't make sense to do anything to make the A/C work even harder.
Thank you all for the feedback! I ordered two maxx air vent covers - white!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pikespeakfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I also installed white. I got the Fanmate versions I believe.

I also took the black shroud of my AC unit and spray painted it white w/ 2 cans of Krylon. Didn’t make sense to have the sun bake the very thing trying to cool down my rig.

I also cut some 1” foam insulation to go into the skylight cavity for when it gets really hot or cold.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #10

I’ve had 2 MaxAir covers, 1 on each of our 2 trailers. The first was the original MaxxAir and was white. The second is a MaxxAir II and is the smoke color. The vers 2 has more vent area and I recall the advert said it moves more air and it was installed in early 2013 and still goin strong. The color difference was due to the colors of the trailers. I leave the vent open when in storage and closed during hot/humid weather and when really cold when camping. Never had any rain get thru. If I need another it’ll be a Maxx.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikespeakfamily View Post
SO - now the science. Would a white vent (vs black or grey) cover, in theory, attract less heat to the unit or because the vent is so raised from the unit it won't matter. I appreciate your opinions and expertise!
Our prior motorhome had 5 vents on the roof... two over the bedroom that we did not want light to pass. Before installing them, I painted the plastic covers exterior with two coats of Black spray paint, to make sure the light would not come thru... then a few coats of White spray paint - to reflect the heat from the sunlight. If we wanted light, we can open the vent.

Most of the time, we opened the vents at night... as soon as the sun peaked in, the vent was closed so we could get another hour of sleep with the bedroom dark.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:52 AM   #12

During my travels, I've noticed most people pick the vent cover color that matches their air conditioner cover. I have three vents on my rigand a white A/C cover, so I went with the frosty-white Camco (from Walmart). Got all three for the price of one Maxx-air! I check the bolts/nuts for tightness when I do my annual roof cleaning & inspection. I've had them on for 6 years now with no problems. The grill on the back side doesn't slope as much as the Maxx-air II, but the wind has to be blowing pretty darned hard for any rain to get in. That's happened twice in 6 years, and it was just a mist. I simply closed the vent and went back to sleep!