Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #1

Voiding the Warranty?

I'm still new at this trailer thing so I am here, again, with a question. I am looking to install a receiver to the rear bumper of my Jayflight so I can use my bike rack I have for our 4Runner. The rack holds 4 bicycles. My father in-law is a certified bodyman (30+ years) and is thinking about how to weld the receiver on while not causing stress to the bumper. He has a couple of good ideas but I have been looking on this forum and have seen some pretty good ideas in the 5th wheel group. Now any input about weight stress on the bumper is welcome, as well as pictures of how you might have done this. My other concern is whether or not doing something like this would void the warranty on the unit since I'd be altering the trailer. Thoughts?
rmsorcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #2

your bumper should have a weight rating. Mine is about 150 lbs. You can purchase bolt on receiver hitches specific for RV bumpers which would save you any welding. just ensure hitch, bike rack and bikes don't exceed your weight limit.
most of the hitches post there weights.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #3

Well, I have read here that it is not recommended to install a receiver to your bumper. I think the manual also states a bumper weight limit. I have also read some members here mounting a receiver but welding the support to the frame itself. I'm sure someone will be along that has better knowledge in this area.

As for voiding your warranty, I'm sure Jayco wouldn't approve mounting the receiver on the bumper. I would call customer service at Jayco and ask them.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 AM   #4

You could beef up the bumper with plating and other steel around the welds, but I have seen to many of them torque under load going down the road. The actual bumper is so thin ever with all that it could bend. Once they start to go you are not going to know until it's possibly too late.

Here is what Jayco is doing now in place of the tray system and being frame tied would not void your warranty or put your load in jeapordy. No welding just a bolt on application.

Adjustable Width Trailer Hitch Receiver for RVs, 22" to 72" Wide Curt Specialty Trailer Hitches 13703

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

I damaged two bicycles and could have caused debris to cause accidents behind me by using a receiver mount bike rack on the rear bumper of my fifth wheel (a Sunnybrook -Mobile Scout). Again, the rack itself fractured; it did not come loose from the bumper.

This was several years ago, but the manufacturer of the rack said that no receiver mount rack was designed for the rocking movement that occurs at the rear of a trailer. They did warranty the rack, and sent me a new one, but would not cover the damage to the bikes. And if hunks of bicycles had broken off and caused an accident, it would have been on me.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Bolt-on receivers are plentiful.

Just watch the weight rating of the bumper (very thin)

I've seen in a catalog, a receiver that can be welded or bolted to an RV's frame ahead of the bumper. That way you won't crush or twist the bumper.

As a fairly competent hobbyist weldor, I strongly recommend BOLTING a receiver onto a vehicle because bolts show problems well before the fail completely. It's tough to notice a crack in or near a critical weld under a vehicle.

And the dealer will give you grief about a warranty claim if they see a hitch back there.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsorcy View Post
I'm still new at this trailer thing so I am here, again, with a question. I am looking to install a receiver to the rear bumper of my Jayflight so I can use my bike rack ...snip... how you might have done this. My other concern is whether or not doing something like this would void the warranty on the unit since I'd be altering the trailer. Thoughts?
My 2015 JayFlight has factory installed brackets on the frame made for a bolted on receiver. I didn't order any option like that.

I assume you already checked and yours does not.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
My 2015 JayFlight has factory installed brackets on the frame made for a bolted on receiver. I didn't order any option like that.

I assume you already checked and yours does not.
X2. My dealer threw in a bolt-on receiver to the bumper, but said only two bikes, because of the bumper rating.

Here's an entire thread on this subject. As you read through, you'll see that the Swagman bike rack is the only one with a warranty that will cover the rack if used on the back of a trailer, due to the extreme bouncing it takes, as compared to the back of your vehicle.

There's also an excellent post, with pictures, of a homemade receiver for a bike rack.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...ons-26234.html

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #9

Our dealer accidently welded a receiver hitch to our 23B, during their dealer prep process (no charge to me ). Hybrids have fairly light weight frame. They first welded on a plate to each frame rail, then welded the hitch assembly to the plate. The hitch assembly does not touch the bumper at all. We carry four bikes on the hitch with no issues.

As for warranty, Jayco just does not have to cover any changes you made. But they are required by law to keep the warranty.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I damaged two bicycles and could have caused debris to cause accidents behind me by using a receiver mount bike rack on the rear bumper of my fifth wheel (a Sunnybrook -Mobile Scout). Again, the rack itself fractured; it did not come loose from the bumper.

This was several years ago, but the manufacturer of the rack said that no receiver mount rack was designed for the rocking movement that occurs at the rear of a trailer. They did warranty the rack, and sent me a new one, but would not cover the damage to the bikes. And if hunks of bicycles had broken and caused an accident, it would have been on me.
Good post RVhiker.

We toyed with the idea of welding a 2" receiver to the rear frame of our rig...but not for very long.

Decided on having a certified welder weld a 2" receiver to the front frame of our truck and no more worries what goes on at the rear. Very little bounce in the front.

Oh...we use to carry our 2 bikes on the ladder at the rear and when I noticed that the ladder had a bow in it the light went on to all the rear bouncing going on.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Check the manual or call Jayco. Some bumpers, especially trailers with lightweight frames, are not rated to hold anything. Some can handle a 2 place rack just fine. As stated, most rack manufacturers state their racks will not work on a trailer bumper, although many have reported that some of the racks made by Swagman will work fine.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
Site Team

My take is the warranty will not be voided completely if you have a problem, just the area that you modified.

That is only my opinion, I would not attach anything to the bumper for a bike rack. Ask him to attach it to the frame.
I have seen a Jayco that the owner replaced the rear square bumper with a piece of square steel, which was attached to the frame with extra gussets and his bike receiver was attached to it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #13

Remember that it involves more than just the dead weight of the bicycles. They are going to be bouncing a lot back there too.