Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Just fyi..

Be prepared for the WDH to make an awful racket. If it's grinding and squeaking like it's ripping your trailer apart, it's working. If it doesn't, it's not working.
??? Not only have I never heard that before, in my experience lots of noise means something isn't quite right. Pivot points can and should be greased, spring bar chains should be free to move and not be rubbing against anything. The only real noise I sometimes get is the sway control bar groaning if it gets wet.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #12

If ONE is good TWO is better

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Just fyi..
Be prepared for the WDH to make an awful racket. If it's grinding and squeaking like it's ripping your trailer apart, it's working. If it doesn't, it's not working.
I believe this is a 'feature' of the Equal-i-zer Brand, like mine, when driving slow and turning hard in campgrounds etc. It's been an outstanding hitch for me for the roughly 150,000 miles I've towed TT with it.
oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I believe this is a 'feature' of the Equal-i-zer Brand, like mine, when driving slow and turning hard in campgrounds etc. It's been an outstanding hitch for me for the roughly 150,000 miles I've towed TT with it.
Yep! The Equal-i-zer throws a fit in slow, hard-turning situations. Definately draws alot of attention in the CG's. Especially coming in at night!
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep! The Equal-i-zer throws a fit in slow, hard-turning situations. Definately draws alot of attention in the CG's. Especially coming in at night!
I won't be the one you hear at night , but I may be the one waking you up in the AM when I leave.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #16

My dad started camping 1967 and used a friction style sway bar on a Equal-i-zer brand hitch and I have own a TT and other style trailers since 1976 and I have used Equal-i-zer brand hitch with the friction style sway bar and have never removed it to back up. I never heard any one say that till I joined JOF. Maybe I have been lucky and uninformed. But if I do have to start removing it .....well I don't know.

2016 Chevy High Country CC 2500 4x4 Duramax
30 DSRE White Hawk
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruckerbob View Post
My dad started camping 1967 and used a friction style sway bar on a C hitch and I have own a TT and other style trailers since 1976 and I have used Equal-i-zer brand hitch with the friction style sway bar and have never removed it to back up. I never heard any one say that till I joined JOF. Maybe I have been lucky and uninformed. But if I do have to start removing it .....well I don't know.
Like you, all I've ever had is Equal-i-zer brand and NEVER removed the bars to back up. I believe with OTHER brands of WDH it is either necessary or recommended the anti-sway friction mechanism be removed or released.

Just keep doin' what you're doin'. It's all good.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:
It is a feature all right. On our first trip out I only got 6 blocks and stopped to get gas. Turning into the gas station it made a nice loud screatching sound and someone came up to me and said "I think there is something wrong with your breaks. When you pulled in it made a horrible grinding sound." I said no, it's the WDH, it's supposed to do that. Thank you for letting me know though

From then on it seemed to get a little better and was completely quiet on the highway but anytime I pulled into a gas station or CG the noise drew the attention of everyone there.

I just purchased the Equal-i-zer Sway Bracket Jackets to quiet things down. We'll see how they work this weekend!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #19

Quote:
I believe with OTHER brands of WDH it is either necessary or recommended the anti-sway friction mechanism be removed or released.
Only with friction bar sway control, and then only if there is a need to jack knife it to get into a space. I actually bent the ball mount a little because I didn't remove it when backing into a thought spot. But it literally takes less than a minute to remove.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Like you, all I've ever had is Equal-i-zer brand and NEVER removed the bars to back up. I believe with OTHER brands of WDH it is either necessary or recommended the anti-sway friction mechanism be removed or released.....snip
All "OTHER" brands (Reese, Draw-Tite, Anderson, etc.) of WDH's that utilize 'integrated' sway control similar to the Equal-z-er brand WDH don't require the "anti-sway friction mechanism be removed or released" (spring bars).

The standard friction sway control arm is manufactured by numerous WDH brand names and is an independent product utilized with/or without a WDH depending on the application...., but yes, it is this particular "add-on" friction sway control device that manufactures recommend removing under sharp TV/TT turning maneuvers while backing.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote