Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Walkie Talkies

Buying Walkie Talkies for use at the campsite. Lots to choose from, so I figured I'd ask here. What brand/model of Walkie Talkie do you like, and more importantly, which ones do you hate?
KiltDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

I have a $5 pair of garage sale Motorola T289 and a pair of Uniden TR640-2 from a gift catalog some years back. I don't really love or hate anything about them other than unsecured transmissions. Or I simply use my cell phone...it's always on my person and works wherever we camp.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2511.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

I just have a couple old Motorolas that I used to use for work. Bought them out of a "blue light special" bin of some sort or another about a million years ago. They don't have the range of the newer ones, and as far as security goes, I don't know why anyone would want to hear the conversations between DW and I, though they do get colorful at times. Sensitive conversations are for face-to-face, I won't even have them on a cell phone anymore...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

I read on one review you may need an FCC license to use? Please tell me this is not true.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
I read on one review you may need an FCC license to use? Please tell me this is not true.
Do you really think the radio police will hunt you down and prosecute you if you don't? There isn't enough money to police the streets let alone track down and charge folks for misusing $20 radios. The gubment's already got their hands too deep in my pockets...I'm not giving them any more.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

I have a set of Cobra's I bought to take to an Army field exercise several years ago. The one the thing I hate about them is an annoying 3 note chirp they make when the transmit button is released. I give one of the walkies to my kids when they go play at the CG so we can communicate when they are away from the TT. Not all the CGs we have been to have the greatest cell coverage and the walkies come in handy. Check Amazon for some actual customer reviews.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

Mine are xtra talk by Midland. They have been a good product for us for the last 4 or 5 years. We use them to park the trailer and when I am out on my Kayak and within a few miles of the trailer I can, if need be, get in contact with the wife.
I have never seen the radio police.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltDog View Post
That doens't sound right..here is more on the FCC's page. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/personal-r...-keeping-touch
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Do you really think the radio police will hunt you down and prosecute you if you don't? ...I'm not giving them any more.
I had no intention of actually getting a license. I just like to be aware of the fact that I'm breaking the law on the occasions that I do.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #10

If you go to a state/national park it seems like everyone has one and is on the same channel. We used some in a 24 hour mountain bike race a few times but found cell phones are more reliable and less hassle.

They always beep from interference/truckers others on the same channel, better off without them.
Cookies Cleared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #11

This technology has become so good and affordable, that even a cheapo "hello kitty" walkie-talkie set my daughters received as a present work amazingly well. I was surprised my them having multi channel as well as sub-channels for more secure talk. This being said, the selection at the local sporting goods store will yield some high quality, multi function walkies for a very reasonable price. I like the Motorola brand.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #12

Most of the good ones use GMRS but also include FRS channels. Channels 1-7 and 15-22 are GMRS and 8-14 are FRS.....FRS is low power and needs no license but the others do. You can avoid all this by buying an FRS only walkie talkie or do what we do and use the middle channels that are set to low power.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 06-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #13

I thought the whole point of the Family Radio frequencies (which most of the little cheap, short range walkies operate on, not the same frequencies as CB or HAM) was so that you didn't have to deal with licensing and all that crap...? I would LMAO if some lackey from the FCC came around and gave me flack about my little radios!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #14

The FRS radios do not require a FCC license to operate on CH8 thru CH14 I think it is. The GMRS channels do require a FCC License.

Read this from google search which explains it pretty good..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...vice#Licensing

I was raised to follow the rules but in this case unless you are reported by some other irate user than I doubt if the FCC is going to track you down for using your GMRS radios without an license.

Yes - I even had a FCC License when I was involved with the early CB operations on 27Mhz back in the early 60's. KBX-9218 I think was my call sign back then...

I have a couple of FRS radios to use around the camp sites... The frequency is so high (460Mhz) almost anything absorbs the transmitted frequency making them very short range operations...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
The FRS radios do not require a FCC license to operate on CH8 thru CH14 I think it is. The GMRS channels do require a FCC License.

Read this from google search which explains it pretty good..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...vice#Licensing

I was raised to follow the rules but in this case unless you are reported by some other irate user than I doubt if the FCC is going to track you down for using your GMRS radios without an license.

Yes - I even had a FCC License when I was involved with the early CB operations on 27Mhz back in the early 60's. KBX-9218 I think was my call sign back then...

I have a couple of FRS radios to use around the camp sites... The frequency is so high (460Mhz) almost anything absorbs the transmitted frequency making them very short range operations...

Roy Ken
Wow, I didn't even know you needed anything for the GMRS frequencies... Interesting.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Wow, I didn't even know you needed anything for the GMRS frequencies... Interesting.
We are talking about the government here They will tax your tax and then tax that.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #17

Please everyone, take a deep breath. The license thing [need one or not, I don't really know] is a total non event. The Fcc, the FBI, or even our wonderful power hungry leader isn't going to knock on your door. They simply don't care. For the record, they don't care about CB's or VHF either.

You shouldn't need to spend more than $50 on even a good pair. The better ones have code settings that will block your transmittion on a channel from anyone other than those who set their radios to the same channel and code.

Another example of over thinking something. These radios are a great help keeping track of your wife or kids in the CG, Wally world, or where ever you go.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #18

Hi all, allow me to shed some light here - You do not need an FCC license for CB, or for the FRS channels, but one is required for GMRS and MURS, though most people don't buy MURS radios. The way to obtain your GMRS license if you choose to work within the law is to simply send your fee (I believe it's $80-$85 now) to the FCC and they send you your license. Easy-peasy. The reason that the GMRS requires a license is that the FCC allows users to maintain repeater systems on GMRS, which greatly increases their coverage.

One thing I should note though is that when Bassdogs said, "For the record, they don't care about CB's or VHF either" I have to disagree with the latter. VHF includes Amateur Radio frequencies, and I'm here to tell you that hams are quite good at locating the source of illegal transmissions and reporting it to the FCC, and they do follow up.

That being said, I encourage you to study, take the test and get your ham radio license! Then you can use the VHF and UHF frequencies all you want, get much better range and it costs much less than a GMRS license!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #19

We have the Motorola Talkabout T5000. I use one of the free channels for FRS. It works great for me to give hubby instructions on backing in the spot. First try every time.
Darla

2002 Jayco Eagle SE 304bh
crocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaul View Post
The reason that the GMRS requires a license is that the FCC allows users to maintain repeater systems on GMRS, which greatly increases their coverage.

One thing I should note though is that when Bassdogs said, "For the record, they don't care about CB's or VHF either" I have to disagree with the latter. VHF includes Amateur Radio frequencies, and I'm here to tell you that hams are quite good at locating the source of illegal transmissions and reporting it to the FCC, and they do follow up.
And that's exactly who cares. There are some pretty serious GRMS users out there with repeaters and very nice hand helds that actually do have some decent range. If they pick you up and you aren't licensed, they will report it. Will you get caught? Perhaps not. But its on your conscious should you choose not to pay for the license.

We bought GMRS for hiking back country trails but I let my license lapse because we haven't used them much. Now I just use the FRS frequencies. FRS and GMRS used to be so clogged with users, but now with cell phones hardly anyone is using these radios anymore. You can use FRS for free and probably never have anyone trying to share the frequency.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 way, campground, two way, walkie talkie