Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #1

Wall flexing in the wind??

So we bought a new 2018 Jay Flight 21QB and went dry camping in the desert in SoCal. The first day/night the winds were very heavy with gusts up to 40mph. The rear of the trailer was facing the wind and when I sat on the dinette bench with my back against the rear wall, I could feel the wall moving slightly in and out with the gusts. Of course, the first thing I thought was how long before this trailer blows apart?

I had a Coachman Clipper 17FQ before this one and I never felt the walls flexing like that.

So is this a normal occurrence for these trailers? Anyone experience this in your trailers?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

The wall is connected to the roof and the two other walls are connected to the front cap and the roof. Assuming construction was done properly, the entire trailer / wall structure was flexing? Mine is fiberglass, and in Az we see winds like this all the time. The only thing I’ve experanced is the entire trailer rocking, but not walls moving.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #3

I can understand the whole trailer moving in the winds, which is what my previous trailer did. But on this one, the back wall was actually moving in and out enough that I could feel the wall actually pushing in. So yes, it was actually moving, not much, but at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch flex. Really weird and does not give me great confidence in this product.

The wind was coming mostly straight on to the back wall, so I don't know if the side walls would also flex.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 PM   #4

I'd get a stud finder and see where the studs are. Maybe it was a Monday and they didn't remember to put all the studs in the wall.
Can you push the wall out from the inside?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 AM   #5

I believe you have a large window on the back wall. That could explain some weakness. In any event I would make my first call to Jayco. Keep us all posted.
Check also all your seams. I would be curious if any of the seals were compromised by the flexing. Rear wall to side walls and top of wall to roof.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #6

His window is nothing like the really large windows in a rear living floor plan. I have a very large window and get zero flex when pushing on the wall.
I think it's the difference between a sandwiched bonded fiberglass wall and a stick and tin style. On the stick and tin style you're relying on the thin wood studs, how many and what spacing.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

goducks, I believe you are correct. I went and checked the wall this morning and everything looked fine. I did push firmly from both the inside and outside, and I could tell a very minor amount of flex, which I imagine would be amplified with a strong wind hitting the whole surface.

The wall does seem sturdy enough otherwise considering the materials used. Bummer is that I did not do my research well enough and got this unit because it was small enough for me while having the items my wife wanted that our other trailer didn't have. After I bought it, I found out that Jayco makes the same unit in aluminum and fiberglass, which would of been a lot sturdier like you mentioned.

Thanks all for your comments. Guess I'd better park with the front end towards the wind next time
Old 05-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Balance the TT on a 20 tons Jack and you always can turn the front against the wind.
It is good there's some flex in walls etc. otherwise they would fall apart on the road.
Even the big Semi-Vans the wall and chassis flex.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #9

1/2” - 3/4” seems excessive. I’ve seen how the stick and wood Jayco are built. I wonder if one or more of the vertical studs are not secure at the top and bottom?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

I would be more that a little worried and upset. Studfinder time. If missing a stud you will be in for a nightmare. Considering 2X2's in the wall which are probably actually 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 I would wonder what stress was put on surrounding studs where theiranchored at floor and ceiling.
I am probably going to go with a Arctic Fox, ORV or Grand Design to be able to have extruded aluminum studs..............don't think their walls will flex in the breeze.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote