Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

Want to add a 2" Hitch Receiver to back of TT

I tried to search to see if this has been discussed before but maybe I didn't phrase my search correctly because I got no where fast in my search.

What I would like to do is add a 2" hitch receiver to the back of my Jayco Eagle mostly for use of our bike carrier.

I thought the attachment plates already existing on the frame could be used for this
So my questions are:
1) has anyone else done that?
(Looking to do frame mount not bumper mount, just to clarify)
2) If you have done this what did you use?

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #2

I've done it, as have many of us. I went to a custom hitch shop that fabricated a 2" receiver welded frame to frame on some square tube. Paid ~$300, and have done it on both my current and previous TT.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #3

I bought this hitch and will be installing it when my new 19RD arrives.
https://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-T...urt/13703.html
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #4

Jayco use to offer a slide-out bike rack/storage tray as an accessory. Fits into the brackets that came attached to the Eagle frame. I had my dealer order and install one for me (about a year ago) that I use to carry my small fishing/duck boat. I think I paid about $680 for the tray and another $180 for the installation. They were able to have it shipped with another trailer coming in from Jayco, so there was no freight. In 2014, Jayco started offering a frame-mounted 2" receiver on Eagle TT's & 5th Wheels, so I'm not sure if they still offer the slid-out tray. Your dealer could certainly tell you if they do or don't.

Here are a couples of pictures of mine with my boat mounted on it:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00116.jpg   DSC00121.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

You'll find a ton of previous postings and multiple threads if you query BIKES, BIKE RACK, or BIKE CARRIER. Lots of insight provided, especially when considering mounting bikes at the back of the TT.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Correct me if I'm wrong but you might be kissing your warranty goodbye if you weld on the frame, if that applies to you or if you care. I had a local Jayco dealership install a hitch on the back of my previous trailer and they did a total **** job, it looked awful and the metal bent from just 2 bikes on a rack. So - be careful and make sure you know exactly what you're getting before you go for it!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but you might be kissing your warranty goodbye if you weld on the frame, if that applies to you or if you care. I had a local Jayco dealership install a hitch on the back of my previous trailer and they did a total **** job, it looked awful and the metal bent from just 2 bikes on a rack. So - be careful and make sure you know exactly what you're getting before you go for it!

Have to agree 100% be careful who you have do it. I have had hitches put on the last two fifthwheels that I have owned and I took to a small welding shop where they know what they were doing. Behind TT and fivers they take a beating with the up and down motion amplified. I average about five to six thousand miles a year double towing and it's important to do it right . I know you want be doing this being a TT but it's still important to do a good job. Good luck in your project
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Was it an option for your trailer? My 29QBS was ordered with a factory cargo receiver hitch. Its my understanding that if it is an option, you can order the receiver hitch and have it installed without violating any warranty on the frame.

On edit... it is an option for you to have the bike rack/cargo tray system like Brownie has. If that would suffice for you, you can order it from your dealer and have it installed.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #9

We carry 2 pedal bikes and used a ladder mount. A real pain to lift the bikes up far enough to make sure the taillights were visible. With all the bounce in the rear and the weight of 2 bikes the ladder now has a bow and it was time for a change.

Chose a 2 bike carrier from Swagman that mounts in a receiver but Swagman says not for use on the rear of any TT or 5th wheel and will void warranty.

Went to a local welder who installed a 2" receiver on the front of our truck and that's where the bikes will ride. So easy now to mount the bikes and takes away any issues with all the bounce everyone gets on the rear.

Works for us.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

We have a bike rack using a tray like Brownie above has. Look up "cargo carrier with bike rack" at Amazon.com. Only problem was that it was too low and could drag it you pulled into a parking lot with a good incline. Fix was raising it up 12" by cutting the box hitch tube and welding in a riser. Added benefit is that it is now the perfect height for the grill and a cooler when at the camp ground.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #11

I had a local weld shop fabricate a 2" hitch receiver for the back of our Eagle so that we can use a bike rack and also tow our jet ski. The hitch is very stout and is vey well triangulated, even so I climb under the trailer several time over the course of the summer to check the welds. We use a swagman bike rack that is designed for use on an RV, it was a bit more expensive but worth the peace of mind.