Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

wardrobe Question

Most cabinets in our 2015 Jay Flight 26 BHS have double bottoms. By that I mean two pieces of plywood. The wardrobes only have a single piece of 1/8 inch plywood that was stapled to the bottom of the cabinet. One fell off. They can't hold any weight at all. Since the rest of the cabinets all have two pieces of plywood, I am wondering if Jayco forgot to install the inner pieces on my unit. If you have a 2015, does your wardrobe have just a thin piece of plywood on the bottom or does it also have an inner stronger piece inside? Hope that makes sense... Thanks!

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure our 2015 23rb just has single layers in the bottoms. When we first viewed our trailer the bottom piece on one bedside closet was hanging down in one corner. Told them we wanted it fixed. On walk through still was not fixed and then when it was "ready" was still not fixed. TT got left there until it was. Sadly I don't think those bottoms are intended to hold much weight at all! As has been said before, the designers need to live in them for a few nights and see what actually needs to be changed.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #3

Just checked my 26bh and the cabinets beside front bed only have very thin veneer on bottom. I guess they are only meant for hanging in. Mine won't hold weight for sure , just there to close in i guess.
Kodiakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

Our 23rb also only had single layer in the wardrobe cabinets. We added interior support to hold additional weight.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:16 AM   #5

BOTH of mine have popped out...with little or no weight in there...pathetic.
Whomever decided staples were the way to go should be fired.

Nothing a little glue and screw wont fix
you could also put a thicker piece on TOP of the 1" stripping, place your clothing on that...that would have been a better design...yeah you lose about 2" of height but better than your stuff all over the floor

seems like a lot of my trim is coming lose, thanks to these useless staples...thank god for wood glue I guess LOL
Old 07-20-2015, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBonns View Post
Our 23rb also only had single layer in the wardrobe cabinets. We added interior support to hold additional weight.
I was wondering how you added extra support to the closets. So far we have put our hanging clothes in the bathroom closet and have used the one bedside closet for pillows--light stuff. I also put an organizer that hangs off the closet rod in the bathroom closet which keeps too much weight off the bottom of that closet as I don't think that bottom is too sturdy either.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #7

Thank you all for the replies. I will be adding a thicker piece of plywood on top of the 1" stripping. Just wanted to make sure that it wasn't only my trailer that was made this way. I also informed Jayco of the problem. They are supposed to get back to me.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

I just purchased the plywood 1/4" to place on the 1" strips inside the cabinets. Plan on using a brad nailer with short brads to anchor it. It should be enough to carry the light weight items my DW puts in there.
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote