Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

Wardrobe Shelving

My bride would like shelves in at least one of the bedside wardrobes in our 22FB travel trailer.
In contemplating this project, I find nowhere to secure said shelving. The sidewalls of the wardrobe are but thin panels.
Anyone found a solve to this problem?

Thinking perhaps a prebuilt set that would fit into the wardrobe through the narrow door? Or, some commercial closet stuff?

All suggestions welcome and received with gratitude!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

There should be studs in back of the thin walls. Our wardrobe has a shelf.. It was stapled in two places into a stud and not into a stud in two places. Needless to say its not prime quality control and it collapsed under the weight of laundry bags.
That said a stud finder and some good brackets and screws and you should be all set.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

I've custom cut and "built" the metal closet shelving available at blue or orange into units that fit tightly in the closet. Runners from floor to ceiling on each side held apart by the metal shelf racks. It takes two or three pair of hands to get everything into place, but cutting it so that it fits tight, keeps anything from moving. All weight is then carried to the floor.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

What was said above is they way to do it. You run boards from bottom to top to support the side that's just paper thin plywood. You then connect the shelving to the boards you just put in instead of the weak plywood.
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

We have a Starcraft 235fb, which is an identical twin of the 22fb.
We used hanging cloth shelves, which work quite nicely. Even has one drawer in it.
It has a velcro top which wraps around and hangs from the existing clothes bar in the wardrobe. It is easy, you can put the shelf in whatever position you want, it fits the width of the wardrobe perfectly, and if the hanging shelves are too long, you can either cut the bottom shelf, or just let it collapse on itself at the bottom of the wardrobe (which is what we did). Easy to install, easy to remove, and doesn't add hardly any weight to the TT, like wood shelves would do.

I don't have a photo of ours, but it looks something like this, but is plain beige, not this weird zigzag stripe:
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Hanging Cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
We have a Starcraft 235fb, which is an identical twin of the 22fb.
We used hanging cloth shelves, which work quite nicely. Even has one drawer in it.
It has a velcro top which wraps around and hangs from the existing clothes bar in the wardrobe. It is easy, you can put the shelf in whatever position you want, it fits the width of the wardrobe perfectly, and if the hanging shelves are too long, you can either cut the bottom shelf, or just let it collapse on itself at the bottom of the wardrobe (which is what we did). Easy to install, easy to remove, and doesn't add hardly any weight to the TT, like wood shelves would do.

I don't have a photo of ours, but it looks something like this, but is plain beige, not this weird zigzag stripe:
Perfect!
Just ordered one. If works well, will order another.

Thanks, I totally forgot I had seen these before.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

Custom shelves in coat closet.

I did the hanging clothes/shoe bin thing for a little while but got tired of the lost space. I only have had my WH for a couple of months and being new to TT-ing I was nervous to do anything plus I would have to build around a funky box shape that had wires running inside to my heater and power panel. But I got a shelf that somewhat matched the color of the trailer and cut it into pieces for the face of the shelf and use 1/4 inch boards that I got from my father in law and went for it. Pulled out the 18 gage nail gun, 1"x3/4 boards for the rails and measured it all out and nailed it all together. Just made sure the nails were just the right length and most of the side rails went into thin panels and the back rail went onthe inside of the side of the trailer where it was a solid wall and I attached the faces with a little ledge the shelf sat on and presto wardrobe closet turned into four shelves for my boys clothes cause it's next to the bunks and the pantry is connected to the same cabinet so if we have over flow of food I use the new shelf cause the shelves at so big and maximize the space the kids use less of the closet. I'm sure if the closet is only a rectangular shape it should be much easier than mine since I had to custom cut each shelf around the column of boxed in electrical wires.

Jayco shelves on the right and custom ones on the left. Plus they can hold much more weight than the panel shelves in the pantry. I don't know why it turns the photo 90 degrees?

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #8

Photos of shelves
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #9

New to this forum and learning out it works. Can't figure out how to do multiple attachments and why they turn sideways? This is the view from underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg