Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

WARNING TT and jayco owners! Fire prevention!

Nearly burnt the 2011 314bds down tonight! We were camping and while out bike riding came back and notice all the lights were dim. Checked fuse panel and shore panel, nothing. Went back to TT fuse panel and checked fuses. Noticed when I pushed on the 12.5 amp auto reset fuse the lights and A/C came back on. They shortly went dim again (converting to battery power). Pushed in again and all came on. I should know better that when a fuse is acting up, there is a reason. A few minutes later I see smoke coming out of the fuse panel. I flip all the breakers off and ran outside to disconnect shore power. I removed the entire panel cover to investigate and discovered the problem.
At the top of the panel the factory has ran 3 wires along right along the converter board over to the breakers. Well the black (hot) wire was in contact with the shore power ground lug! The lug was cooked and the black wire coating burnt through.
I was able to tape the black wire up and away from the ground lug and continue operations, but will have to take the TT in for inspection of the converter this week.
I'll post a pic when I get home, but just for good measure I would highly recommend disconnecting all power sources (battery included), remove your panel cover entirely and see if you have some wires sitting on the ground lug before your next trip. If so, take to a dealer for a fix to keep them away from the lug.
Happy camping! And if the post is confusing, the pic I'll post tomorrow will make more sense.
Jon Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jon,

Wow , great catch on the electrical short, and glad you caught it when you did. It sounds like a problem that was on it's way of becoming a major problem in short order.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #3

Yes - please post a pic! Does it look like something that happened during install or do you think it rubbed over time?

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Great catch and thanks for sharing. I'd love to see the pics when you can post them.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #5

That's a close call. Makes me want to check mine also
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #6

I think this warrants a report to Jayco. Please do so in case they have an issue w/ this part of their mfg. process, if you've not done so already.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #7

Glad to hear you caught the problem before disaster struck.

Funny you should post this. I took delivery of a new SL 5th wheel about a month ago and about a week later I was checking various items on the unit and after taking off the electrical panel cover the same wire routing you describe caught my attention as a potential issue. Before I take the unit on our first trip I will for sure take some corrective action.

Not to be a s%#% disturber but lives could be at stake here and if something can be done to prevent this I believe it should. Pictures to Jayco at minimum should be in order, I'm sure they would like to know.

Thanks for posting this warning.
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #8

That's a little too close for comfort...never should have happened. Good save! Glad you caught it before anything really bad happened.
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH "No Worries II"
2011 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, 6.7L PSD "The Mistress"
B&W Companion slider
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #9

Photos

Here is a wide view of the panel we have. You can see where I have taped the wires up and out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #10

The culprit!

Here is the close up of what happened. Notice the ground lug is burnt and you can't appreciate in the picture but it burnt about half the depth of the lug. The black wire above (being held by the tape) was the wire that came in contact with the lug, melted the sheathing and was causing a short and possibly impending fire. I checked out everything on the rig and all seems to be operating correctly, but I want to take it in and have the panel tested/replaced. My wiring setup had the white and green wires following the same path, so all three of those wires are a threat. I am reporting this to Jayco as I am sure their panels are outsourced and hopefully Jayco will address/inspect the issue.
It was a scare, that's for sure. Had our three little ones with us and if a fire would've broken out in the night, it would have been between us and the bunkhouse to the rear. Everyone check your panels!! It is a simple one philips screw removal process.
Take care.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

Good catch and fortunately no one got hurt. 2011 seems a bit new for the wire to have rubbed through the insulation so quickly. Was the wire pinched between the cover and the lug? Possibly if the setscrew was a bit loose on the lug it could have built up enough heat to compromise the insulation on the black wire.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #12

Wow good catch. thanks for the info. going to check mine when i get out of work
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
Good catch and fortunately no one got hurt. 2011 seems a bit new for the wire to have rubbed through the insulation so quickly. Was the wire pinched between the cover and the lug? Possibly if the setscrew was a bit loose on the lug it could have built up enough heat to compromise the insulation on the black wire.
Haven't dug real deep yet to check lug tightness, etc. The wires were definately sitting atop the lug, so I don't think the cover would have smashed them against it. I'll check the lug and see if it was tight.
I sent the info off to Jayco, waiting to hear response as to where I can send them the pictures. I really just want to inform Jayco (and probably all the other manufacturers use the same sources) to check quality control on the panels they installing, or it may be how they are running the wires once the panels are in.
I noticed as well in the panel where they had wire nutted the outlet hot wire together (black) that two of the wire had too much insulation stripped from them and had 1/2" of wire exposed beyond the wire nut. Doubt would ever be an issue, but potentially if it came in contact with ground or neutral it could cause problems. What concerns me most is the sloppiness and lack of attention to detail.
Jon
Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #14

Wow, thanks for the update. We're leaving tomorrow for a short trip to Corpus Christi and I remembered your post and just checked. Mine is a 2012 model and it looks like the wires are routed differently in addition to a slightly different arrangement of the buss bars.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2936

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2937

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2938

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
I think this warrants a report to Jayco. Please do so in case they have an issue w/ this part of their mfg. process, if you've not done so already.
I agree with Mike!!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #16

i checked my 2012 FB and it is routed in the same direction as Redhourse1's
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
I agree. I've had only a coupole of conversations with Jayco at this point but have had excellent results.
My stereo was defective, they sent a replacement to me directly and paid shipping for me to return the old one (I did the replacement)
I was missing a rubber cap which covers the locks on the bunk-end latches, they sent a handful of replacements.
I suggest sending an e-mail with a pic telling them "this is something you should know". I'd like to hear their response.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 04-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Wow, thanks for the update. We're leaving tomorrow for a short trip to Corpus Christi and I remembered your post and just checked. Mine is a 2012 model and it looks like the wires are routed differently in addition to a slightly different arrangement of the buss bars.
Attachment 2936

Attachment 2937

Attachment 2938

RedHorse1, looking at the electrical panel in the pictures I would say the connections on the neutral bus (terminal block were the white wires are connected) is in violation of the NEC ( National Electrical Code). I believe it's been about ten years since only one conductor per screw is allowed.

Perhaps a US electrician can verify that.

cheers and have agreat day.
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #19

Thanks for the info kiwaon. I can address that issue.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B