Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Warranty and cosmetic issues

So I have a few issues on my unit I would like some advice on. Our warranty runs out next June, we have about 10k miles on the trailer now

1.) Am I being unreasonable with these issues on a travel trailer.
2.) Will Jayco even attempt do do anything here under the 2 year warranty
3.) Am I better off to engage Jayco directly and have them send me parts to address it, or ask the dealer to do it

Several areas of the wallpaper/contact paper/whatever they use are starting to come up, it feels like there is a wall seam beneath the area and its probably just from road vibration. It has caused probably 6-7 areas in the trailer to have bubbles under the wallpaper. I am really not sure why they didn't just put a 1" transition strip over the wall panelling seams to prevent this as they did in other areas, and frankly, I would be happy with that. All the areas that are showing separation don't have these transition strips on them

Several areas along the bottom of the cabinets (especially the island) are bubbling. It appears they have swelled from being wet. The only things I can possibly think of that would have allowed them to get wet are
  • Mopping with a swiffer (not likely)
  • The Grey tank being full and actually leaking thru the air intake under the sink while traveling
  • Water running off the top of the slides after they are retracted that the seals didn't clear off
This would be pretty time consuming to fix, but it frankly annoys me. If they had just bothered to use actual wood on the bottom of these cabinets and not pressed board, this would not be an issue. I don't know how they can expect that these are going to stay immaculately dry.

The facia on the left of kitchen slide has also swelled, but it makes contact with the floor, which is an issue in itself, and actually broke when sliding out recently, That piece is just going to have to be replaced (and shortened) so it doesn't damage the floor, I have to be very careful when sliding it in and out and sometimes lift the trim away, the floor seems to sometimes be in contact with it, sometimes not, not sure if the plywood is swelling, or if its just how the frame happens to be twisted in a given parking spot, etc.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #2

I would make them fix it. They cut so many corners with craftsmanship with these things and you have the right to get what you paid for.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

I have a short list of things somewhat similar to yours that has occurred over the course of our first summer using our new trailer. I have no problem tapping a loose piece of interior trim back into place during the summer camping months, but no way will I surrender the rig for a month of the season while they make a few minor cosmetic repairs. After talking with the dealer, I am keeping a list of items and will have them fix it in the fall before I put it away for the winter. My biggest issue is some delamination of the countertop for the outside kitchen. Water seems to have gotten in the seam between the front edge and the top laminate and it has separated. By all means, use the warranty, you paid for it.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #4

Jsallman1,
Did you buy your trailer in DSM? I am anxious about having warranty work done as I've heard a lot of horror stories. Please let us know how it goes.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #5

If you have water damage and didn't have the dealer check & document it right away, you may be on your own.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
Jsallman1,
Did you buy your trailer in DSM? I am anxious about having warranty work done as I've heard a lot of horror stories. Please let us know how it goes.
No, we bought it in Davenport which means a little trip to get it serviced unfortunately
Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
No, we bought it in Davenport which means a little trip to get it serviced unfortunately
Contact the dealer and send pictures of the areas of concern along with a summary of the problems. I did exactly that and emailed it all to the dealership after first calling them to give them a heads up. They forwarded my email and pictures to Jayco to receive the authorization to repair under warrantee. I too was concerned that I didn't pass my 2 year coverage period. The dealer said that the date reported was all that was needed to lock in coverage and that when the repairs were actually performed did not matter. The authoration took about 3 weeks and then I was contacted to bring my TT in. Actual repairs took about 3 weeks but I was able to time it so as not to loose any actual camping time.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
With warranty we can go overboard too. If you have some cosmetic issues after two years of use (most of them are caused by occupants using the unit) why do you want warranty on that. Lets not get ridicules. The RV industry is what it is with quality but don't forget there is demand and everyone is still buying an RV. Everyone read forums and know there are some issues with quality. Jayco has been definitely been good to customers warranty wise and sometimes I think they went overboard. Because there are also RVers that misuse this warranty. But I guess it takes all kinds of people to make a world. Take responsibility for your own actions.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
With warranty we can go overboard too. If you have some cosmetic issues after two years of use (most of them are caused by occupants using the unit) why do you want warranty on that. Lets not get ridicules. The RV industry is what it is with quality but don't forget there is demand and everyone is still buying an RV. Everyone read forums and know there are some issues with quality. Jayco has been definitely been good to customers warranty wise and sometimes I think they went overboard. Because there are also RVers that misuse this warranty. But I guess it takes all kinds of people to make a world. Take responsibility for your own actions.
I hear what your saying, and agree. If its deliberate miss-use or operator error, it shouldn't be covered is my take. If its a design flaw or manufacturer error, completely different.

Some of the bottom of the cabinet damage I would really just like to understand HOW it happened, I speculated above, but I don't know. I originally thought may be it was just compressing the wood during travel, but after further inspection there are some indications of moisture at some point. I am scratching my head as to how it occurred, it being in the center area of the unit, roof leak doesn't seem likely. I think somehow a little water ran across the floor from somewhere and this stuff just soaked it up like a sponge, and the only areas I can possibly think are slide tops after being retracted after rain (which I do towel dry to the best of my ability), the tanks sloshed water out of the air intake vent (which does seem pretty low on the plumbing, I think the vent would leak before the sink backed up in the island) or a plumbing issue which I cant see. I only noticed it when I walked in and saw the bulges at the bottom of the cabinet woodwork. Baseboard would conceal it and will probably be what I do pending if Jayco does anything, but the root cause definitely needs to be determined.

Its somewhat encouraging to hear others having some of the same issues. I am starting a communication with the dealer. I know there are some issues (IE my refrigerator doesn't cool adequately anymore on LP Gas, front door lock is failing, etc) that I expect to be fixed as they are just failing.

Bassdogs, I have already started an email communication with the dealer so hopefully that covers it. I really don't want to take the trailer in during camping season unless its urgent, which most of this doesn't seem to be.

ProPride 3P

Old 08-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

Yes if you are still in warranty then take it straight to a Jayco dealer.. The cabinets tend to do that from time to time with moisture being the main reason.. As for the seam tape, the new units also do the same thing. And for the water run off when your slide closes. There not ment to repell water off the top as your slide comes in. Best thing for that case is to lower your Jacks on the slide side and let it run off that way.. Remember your slide roof is at a angle towards your unit. Slide toppers are the best remedy, for that..
Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucas77 View Post
Yes if you are still in warranty then take it straight to a Jayco dealer.. The cabinets tend to do that from time to time with moisture being the main reason.. As for the seam tape, the new units also do the same thing. And for the water run off when your slide closes. There not ment to repel water off the top as your slide comes in. Best thing for that case is to lower your Jacks on the slide side and let it run off that way.. Remember your slide roof is at a angle towards your unit. Slide toppers are the best remedy, for that..
Thanks for that verification. After 2 straight camping outings of having to bring the slides in DURING rain, i was thinking how nice slide toppers would be. Drying them off manually is nearly impossible, I honestly never thought about lowering the trailer, 1 time it was on the TV so it would have been a real pain especially in the rain. Toppers are definitely on the short list of upgrades.

ProPride 3P

Old 08-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #12

I have a running list of things for the dealer. Some of them cosmetic. Some of them aren't bad enough to stop us from using it. I'm going to wait until the season is over to take it in. If it were water damage as you say, I would contact the dealer via email and let him know that you're going to bring it in. Maybe ask some questions about why it could be happening. Send pictures. That way you have it documented. CYA.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote