Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Warranty claim versus insurance claim

I thought I'd start a new thread for this even though I have a lengthy post elsewhere describing my problems.

In a nutshell , I have a less than 2 year old X23b that suffered a blowout of one tire , whereupon we discovered that ALL of the four tires were worn down to the steel belts on the inside of each tire....disaster.

The trailer is at the dealer's now waiting diagnosis.... Possible bent axles etc....

My question here is: am I better off pursuing a warranty claim ( faulty axles etc.) or an insurance claim ( ran over something on the road)?
freemanbobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

I would go with warranty claim.

Tire insurance is generally pro-rated. They'll figure out how long the tire was supposed to last, how long it actually lasted and only credit you for the difference.

If you have some special insurance just for your tires, you *might* have an option there, but I would always go with warranty vs. insurance if that's an option for you.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanbobj View Post
I thought I'd start a new thread for this even though I have a lengthy post elsewhere describing my problems.

In a nutshell , I have a less than 2 year old X23b that suffered a blowout of one tire , whereupon we discovered that ALL of the four tires were worn down to the steel belts on the inside of each tire....disaster.

The trailer is at the dealer's now waiting diagnosis.... Possible bent axles etc....

My question here is: am I better off pursuing a warranty claim ( faulty axles etc.) or an insurance claim ( ran over something on the road)?
I don't see how warranty would cover damage from a blow out..
Are the axles bad causing the blow out?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

From my perspective "worn down" immediately excludes an insurance claim.

Normal wear and tear is the owner's responsibility.

However, abnormal wear caused by a defect in materials or workmanship COULD be covered by a warrantee claim. Though you'll have some trouble, since "consequential damage" is often excluded.

How many miles on your hybrid? How often did you inspect the tires, wheels, lug nuts, hubs, brakes and bearings?

IMO, totally uneven tire wear with no other faults, will get you new axles. But the rest will probably wind up on you. I would push for a credit of 1/2 the cost of new tires.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanbobj View Post
Or overloaded.. Have you had it weighed?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

There was a post about a week ago about the loading and situation.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...out-39490.html

Personally I would wait and see what the Dealer has to say, then make a decision from there.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

This is very timely... I wanted to cross post into here my earlier posts and replies about the original situation that made me ask this question, but didn't know how, so when you posted this to that exact post, describing all my trials and errors, it does what I wanted to do....so anyone interested can read what led to this question ...I think I will post this over there as well.....

freemanbobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
There was a post about a week ago about the loading and situation.

Personally I would wait and see what the Dealer has to say, then make a decision from there.
+1. Neither will speak to one another, but one will cost you (ins). Go the free route and see how far it gets you. Don't be afraid to fight a little either. Then based on the total financial outlay(estimate) see what your options are.

Ins adjusters might not value the work needed, so based on any deductible and prorating it might cost you more. Now you also have a claim which will lead to higher ins costs most likely.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #9

I will go with one other option. Will make more sense if others read past posts on the other thread. IF it is a bent axle caused by a road hazard, AND you know where, you MIGHT be able to claim against the municipality where it happened.

I considered this with my bent axle. Our city pays out several million $$ a year in claims related to poor road maintenance. They have a responsibility to maintain the roads in a safe condition, and are liable when their failure to do so causes damages.

Also, the insurance route might be difficult depending on how you are insured. In Ontario, towables are covered under your home insurance, not automotive. At least that is the only way I could find to insure mine; I have a rider on my home policy. That might make a damage claim either easier or harder depending on your policy - you might want to approach your insurer to see if this kind of thing might be covered.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote