Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1

Warranty Extension

We just bought a new 2012 Jay Flight 26RLS. Our dealer is offering the following extended warranty:

"extended warranty which many of our clients value knowing that they have piece of mind for many years. Your unit qualifies for up to an additional 7 years of extended warranty on top of the 1 year manufactures warranty, giving you 8 years of coverage which would include all your major mechanical workings, inclusive of parts and labor, and it is valid anywhere in Canada and the USA. A great feature with the extended warranty is should you not have to claim under your extended warranty and time expires and you are still in ownership of your unit, you can claim back the cash value of your plan including taxes. Below I have provide some pricing for your review on the Superior Plan $100.00 deductible (taxes extra)
5yrs $1534.00
6yrs $1564.00
7yrs $1594.00 "

My question is this worth it or not and what are mechanical workings? Does anyone else have any experience in one of these extended warranty offers.
baltimorebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Have not experienced or bought any extended warranties, but I question the "1 year manufacturer's warranty". Thought all Jaycos had a 2 year warranty. I could be wrong, but maybe you should check that to be sure. And if there IS a 2 year warranty with the unit, why is the dealer saying only 1 year ????
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

That was one of the question I asked when I got the e-mail from the dealer finance department offering the extended warranty along with the contract they wanted me to sign and return, the 2 year warranty was one of the selling features that sold us on Jayco. I'm awaiting the response and will post their reply.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Jayco does warranty their RV's for 2 years. Most others only 1. I may be wrong on this but I believe what you are reading, " 7 years of extended warranty on top of the 1 year manufacturer warranty" is the wording of an independent warranty company that your dealer is using or promoting. I do not believe that Jayco has an extended warranty program, just the two years. The independent company uses the "1 year manufacturer warranty" wording on its brochure because most all other RV manufacturers offer only 1 year. Check with your dealer on who is actually providing the extended warranty.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #5

Here was my thought process for NOT buying the extended warranty.

1. It does not cover leak detection or leak repair.
2. It does not cover water damage repair - this is where you will run into $5K-$10K repair bills. Since water damage repair is not covered - you will still end up paying these bills if your insurance does not.
3. Everything else is small change compared to water damage. In the 7 years I owned my previous trailer I probably spent $1000 total on minor fixes or replacements to this or that. Could you come out ahead? Yes. Might you be throwing money away? Yes. Since the odds seemed roughly equal I choose to keep the $1500 in my wallet and pay for my own repairs as they came up.

Again - the only REALLY BIG bills you will ever see owning a TT are for water damage...and that is VERY CLEARLY not covered.
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

These company's do not make money by paying out claims... they do everything they can to avoid paying out a claim. I would just take the $1500.00 and put it in a bank account for IF you have a problem later.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #7

X3
The other thing to consider is the dilemma you will be in if there is a problem with, lets say your furnace and it is going to cost $800 to fix. Do you pay the $100 deductible, have it fixed and then loose out on getting your $1500 back. I always thought that would be the worst part of that warranty, deciding whether or not to use it. Just my $0.02. Jeff

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

Just my 2 cents, but I purchased the extended warranty. On my previous TT, it seemed that something was always going wrong. I replaced the AC after warranty which cost me $800 installing myself. I had slideout issues and fridge issues each costing several hundreds of dollars. This is not to mention assorted other little things I probably have forgotten completely about. There is nothing worse than going on vacation only to find you are about to spend a lot more money than you had planned. I did it for the peace of mind. The other nice thing is my dealer is right across the street from the campground I store the TT at. More peace of mind there too. Like I said just my 2 cents. BTW, called Best Buy today to have them come fix my washing machine. I purchased a five year extended on that, and it went bad. Now they are fixing it for free. I don't use extended warranties often, only on major purchases.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #9

The one-year language almost certainly didn't come from your dealer but from the sales material given it by the insurer. As for the refund, a recent magazine article, I think it was Trailer Life, not sure, had a complaint from a person who was denied the refund.

Personally, I have saved enough $$ NOT buying these semi-bogus plans to pay for any number of repairs myself. You can bank that the dealership and the salesman are getting a substantial percentage of the premium or they wouldn't try so hard to sell it.

And it would bother me to walk out the door with a new purchase thinking I'd spent over a thousand dollars for repairs before I'd even taken possession of the new trailer/car/boat/etc.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

I appreciate all the feedback. Apparently it is a standard bumper to bumper Jayco 2 year warranty, they made an error in their e-mail to me. The extended warranty would kick in after the 2 years expire.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #11

An admitted error like that (dealer not knowing his product manufacturer's warranty period from the get go) would make me wonder what other errors might have been made in the sales pitch. I would really go over the ext warranty with a skeptical fine tooth comb before agreeing to it. As cekkk and others have said, whoever is pushing it probably stands to make some bucks on the deal, so check it out thoroughly.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #12

Check out the Good Sam extended warranty before you commit to the dealer's extended warranty. You will be surprised......
1 Wife
....and empty pockets
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

No extended warranty for me.

When you buy an extended warranty it is a gamble. The INSURER is betting you won't have a problem. YOU are betting you will. Guess who the odds favor. The insurer! Plus...NEVER underestimate the insurers' ability to deny claims.

Take the premium money....put it in an envelope.....make repairs with that if needed. No denial problem at all.

JMO

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
No extended warranty for me.

When you buy an extended warranty it is a gamble. The INSURER is betting you won't have a problem. YOU are betting you will. Guess who the odds favor. The insurer! Plus...NEVER underestimate the insurers' ability to deny claims.

Take the premium money....put it in an envelope.....make repairs with that if needed. No denial problem at all.

JMO
x2
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #15

As we are approaching the magic two year mark I am thinking about an extended warranty. You would not believe all the problems we have had with this POS trailer. With last summers warranty trip to a dealer we would have paid out close to $3000. I know that more issues are waiting because of bubbles in the siding on a slide and the same slide rubbing on the floor while traveling. It could be $1500 well spent for us.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
As we are approaching the magic two year mark I am thinking about an extended warranty. You would not believe all the problems we have had with this POS trailer. With last summers warranty trip to a dealer we would have paid out close to $3000. I know that more issues are waiting because of bubbles in the siding on a slide and the same slide rubbing on the floor while traveling. It could be $1500 well spent for us.
Now that sounds like a reason to pay for the EW. Just be sure and check it out thouroughly so you don't hear "preexisting condition" talk when you try to use. it. too bad about your troubles. There but for the Grace of God...
'14 Denali XL