Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #1

Warranty Service - did not buy local

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have a two questions.

1. What issues has anyone had getting warranty service accomplished by their local dealer when the trailer was not purchased from them?
2. Has anyone been denied warranty service by their local dealer? I have heard of being put on the back of their warranty repair list behind those who purchased from them, but has anyone been denied.

I am looking at purchasing a new trailer and have seen some not very local for a couple thousand cheaper. I personally don't mind a road trip vacation to get one. The local dealer doesn't seem to want to work with the lower prices from other areas.

Thanks for your responses in advanced
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

You may get service but if you did not buy from that dealer you may not get timely service. They may put your repair behind those that purchased from them.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

Worse case you have a few thousand to cover, if even necessary, repairs you can't get finished in a timely manner yourself. Jayco has authorized independent repair shops if necessary. We purchased ours from the dealer in Middlebury Indiana, saving $3000 just in delivery fees plus thousands more...And we have not needed warranty service to this point, 15 months later. We did get some warranty items sent to us directly, by Jayco.

Save your money and don't worry. Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

We purchased from Tarrytown RV and live in SC. We saved several thousand on purchase, they flew us out for delivery etc. No miles on the unit. Went to our local camping world for some minor warranty issue and had no issues and was treated very well
Old 07-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I purchased mine from afar. Saved 6k. But found that in season they do put you on the back burner. In May I had a issue, called closest J dealer and they gave a appt in Feb,2017. The second closest said to call back in Sept to make appt. I was appalled and called Jayco customer service. He said they are independent owners and cannot tell them how to run their business and will let regional sales manager in that area know. He authorized me to take to any authorized RV dealer and would reimburse for repairs. Hope this helps.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #6

Some dealers have said no to others on the forum in a similar situation.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #7

In cases like this, I would hope Jayco would authorize any warranty service at a large independent RV repair facility.

There is one such place about 5 miles from my house. It's the most convenient RV service/repair facility to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Some dealers have said no to others on the forum in a similar situation.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

If they have a Jayco shingle hanging on there shop they have to honor the warranty. If they don't call Jayco. As far as how they treat you in respect to folks that bought directly from them, that could be a different story.

We bought our trailer from a different dealer 200 miles away because our local dealer didn't have the model we wanted and didn't want to order one. We had warranty work done twice by the local dealer. The problem is that the summer months are their busy months so all work, even if you are paying for it takes a long time.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #9

The shop I'm talking about only does service/repair. They are an independent shop. They do not sell anything.

They work on everything from $250 million plus diesel pushers down to the smallest pop up. And everything in between.

I'd have to call Jayco should I get a Jayco to get permission. I just hope they would give permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If they have a Jayco shingle hanging on there shop they have to honor the warranty. If they don't call Jayco. As far as how they treat you in respect to folks that bought directly from them, that could be a different story.

We bought our trailer from a different dealer 200 miles away because our local dealer didn't have the model we wanted and didn't want to order one. We had warranty work done twice by the local dealer. The problem is that the summer months are their busy months so all work, even if you are paying for it takes a long time.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If they have a Jayco shingle hanging on there shop they have to honor the warranty.
If you didn't buy from them they do not have to do warranty work for you. There are numerous dealers who only cover their customers.

Agreed if you do have issues contact JAYCO, but they will not mandate that the offending dealer take care of you. They usually find another dealer or service center, but it may not be as close.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #11

Our experience is that the dealers are not obligated.

We were unable to find the unit we liked locally and purchased out of state. The closest dealer does not do warranty work on units they did not sell. A second dealer a significant distance away would service but I needed to drop the unit off and they would service it when they had an opening. He mentioned it would be several weeks before they could realistically look at it.

It has not been a problem for us since I would prefer to do my own work. Jayco has provided some parts like a faulty converter but it is a process to get it approved since this is not their normal procedure. I also have been able to work directly with the equipment manufacturer on warranty items.
Luvthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

We bought ours in another state as we wanted the 2016 floor plan of the 355MBQS, not the changed plan of the 2017. Local dealer did not have one. We also saved $8000 over the quoted price of the local dealer.
Local dealer had a take it or leave it attitude in the sales process. They are the only Jayco dealer in 5-6 hours drive. When I mentioned the price I found what we wanted a couple of states away, the salesman said it wasnt' worth his time to sell us a 5th wheel for that price. Oh, and he said "Good luck getting service"
Well, we have the frame bracket bending issue on our 5th.
Sure enough, the local dealer said they would take my name and number but to not expect a call until winter, if then. They did say they could get me in the next week if I paid the $129 an hour shop rate.....instead of warranty....
Really makes us want to buy a rig from them in the future.....

So, all that being said, Jayco authorized us to take it to a local independent shop that only does repairs. Should be fixed soon....

So, we had to call Jayco and jump a couple of hoops, but we are getting the rig fixed.

Independent shop told me they get lots of work from the Jayco dealer that they can't/won't do....
Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #13

We bought locally. Before we bought the dealer told us that he could not match prices of the next nearest Jayco dealer( 250 miles away) and did service his customers first.
That was fine. Our unit is inexpensive and the dealer will store the unit in the winter. Plus we get a discount on parts and accessories
We have had a couple of minor warranty issues. From phone call to fix it was the same day.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #14

Warranty

Bought a 2017 whitehawk 27DSRL and was told the same thing from our local dealer. We bought from another dealer about 5hrs from us, saved approx. $11000. The Jayco rep explained that they can not force the dealers to honour the warranty and may we should have bought locally. My response back to him was would have if it was going to cost $11,000 more. No response back, found a dealer about an 1 1/2 way that will do work on it if needed'.
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #15

Maybe the trick in purchasing is to tell your local dealer that you live 500 miles away and are just looking for a good deal......

It seems that nobody but me is able to get what they believe is a fair price from their local dealer. At some point you would think there would be some overlap...

Just thinking out loud... carry on.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #16

Depends on what you mean by local.. The price 250 miles away was less. But what good is that when you want service?. In New England a five hundred mile day is a big deal east to west across two major mountain ranges.

You have to factor in the fuel cost to get the RV to the dealer for work. In our case there is no Jayco dealer to the east till you get out of the USA.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #17
BCK

We didn't buy local but have had outstanding service from the local dealer. The unit we wanted was dealer stock only and the local guy didn't have one so we didn't price it here and then buy elsewhere.

I expect it might make a difference if you buy elsewhere after working over your local dealer for a better price and then come back looking for warranty service that they don't make any money on anyway.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Depends on what you mean by local.. The price 250 miles away was less. But what good is that when you want service?. In New England a five hundred mile day is a big deal east to west across two major mountain ranges.

You have to factor in the fuel cost to get the RV to the dealer for work. In our case there is no Jayco dealer to the east till you get out of the USA.
Kim,

I guess what I meant was that it seems like a common theme is "I got a better price 500 miles away so I didn't buy local and now my local dealer won't service me" . I'm curious how the negotiation with the "local" dealer would have went if they thought you lived 500 miles away during the purchase process... would that effect the negotiated price?

I too understand that you have to consider lots of variables when determining value and there is a lot of value in purchasing a RV local. I'm fortunate in that I have a long-term relationship with a dealer who understands my expectations both before and after the sale. I in turn understand his business model, the type of customer he wants to do business with, and I respect his time. It's a two way street. After 20 years of doing business with the same dealer I didn't really search to hard on my current purchase. Of course I did my due dilligence to see what market was for my rig, but the dealers first offer was fair and reasonable.

I guess so many people approach this like they are buying a ford, chevy, dodge where there are hundreds of dealerships competing for business (service) in a relatively small area. The conundrum is after they realize that model doesn't quite fit, they have a major problem (as many RV's can have) and their world is ruined because the local dealer is backlogged for weeks if not months. Trust me, I spend a lot of time at my dealer, their tech's are busy seven days a week and every bay is full. I think that is the hardest part for people new to the RV world to understand is that the backlog is real, it's not an attempt to punish anybody, it's just business and at least they were up front in attempting to explain the price difference up front. Granted it may not be very tactful to say if you don't purchase here your last on the list... but at least they were forwarned.

At that point, as you said, each person has to evaluate the price and do their own risk assesment.

This whole discussion just got me thinking.... what if the dealer thought I was from 500miles away....would that affect the offered price, if he thought he was never going to see you again... (rvonline... rvwholesalers... etc)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #19

Warranty

What I did was gave the trailer spec sheet from the dealer I finally ended up buy from and giving it to my local dealer. I even told him what I was paying from the other dealer and he still quoted the MSRP price. What I don't get is they did not even lower the price a $1, what gives. Their is not much more I could do to buy from local dealer other then pay their price. It just does not make sense to me.

Dave
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecarol View Post
What I did was gave the trailer spec sheet from the dealer I finally ended up buy from and giving it to my local dealer. I even told him what I was paying from the other dealer and he still quoted the MSRP price. What I don't get is they did not even lower the price a $1, what gives. Their is not much more I could do to buy from local dealer other then pay their price. It just does not make sense to me.

Dave
Dave, I'd agree that doesn't make any sense. Nobody pays MSRP.

.... Or maybe in your dealers case they do... but that's a pretty far stretch in todays world.