Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

warranty work

well brought our brand new 2018 jay flight slx 28.4 bhs back to the dealer today snow finally melted! microwave doesn't work and the converter not worker. they told me could be a few weeks?? its brand new never used I told them I got extra bumper to bumper warranty they said must be approved by jayco then they order the parts. service guy seemed very edgy like they have a lot of issues. maybe its just me but I'm not paying a dime!
dustyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #2

I purchased my 2018 Greyhawk last April and I too have had warranty work on a brand new unit. I contacted jayco and told customer service of the issues then I paid for the work (orphan RVer) and was reimbursed without question. Not happy about needing warranty work but incredibly happy with the easy of dealing with Jayco customer service. Btw, dealership treated me like a king when I told them I was paying up front for the repairs. Strange but true.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
solderwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrose View Post
well brought our brand new 2018 jay flight slx 28.4 bhs back to the dealer today snow finally melted! microwave doesn't work and the converter not worker. they told me could be a few weeks?? its brand new never used I told them I got extra bumper to bumper warranty they said must be approved by jayco then they order the parts. service guy seemed very edgy like they have a lot of issues. maybe its just me but I'm not paying a dime!
Nothing to worry about Jayco will fix everything. It takes some time to shake out the bugs, some have more than others. Sometimes its simple like a microwave just not plugged in or no power run to the converter, the dealer has to check it out then if needed order parts from Jayco. None of this will cost you a dime.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Rather doubt the service guy was edgy because of any particular issue with your model trailer. If I had to guess, he was probably "edgy" because he knows there's a chance it may take longer than a few weeks. Unfortunately, travel trailers are not constructed with much precision and/or consistency---making it difficult to accurately anticipate the workload necessary for many repairs. It can't be fun dealing with customers who come back in "a few weeks" wanting to know why their trailer is still not repaired. From my experience, a very common occurrence---especially at high volume dealers.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #5

I guess the guy was preparing me for the worst! hopefully it doesn't take to long we planned our first trip in may.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

well they are replacing the microwave and the converter both covered by the warranty waiting for parts should be in next week
Old 03-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
maybe its just me but I'm not paying a dime!
My last experiences with Jayco warranty were the service desk encountering many claims of broken items that should be covered under the warranty, but were more a result of abuse and not a legitimate warranty issue. That deal began to enforce an agreement upfront that if they "broken item" was abused, or really not broken just user error, then I would be responsive for a service fee for waiting their time....

Glad yours is legitimate and getting taken care of
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #8

I have a 17 284 bhsw and had it in quite a few time for warranty work. Trade winds Rv in Michigan never kept it more then a week. We did have to wait for a radio and all new decals but we used the tt while they waited for the parts and had them replaced at our convince. Have yet to pay a dime for any repairs. Don’t be afraid to contact dealer GM for the dealer about your concerns

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Rather doubt the service guy was edgy because of any particular issue with your model trailer. If I had to guess, he was probably "edgy" because he knows there's a chance it may take longer than a few weeks. Unfortunately, travel trailers are not constructed with much precision and/or consistency---making it difficult to accurately anticipate the workload necessary for many repairs. It can't be fun dealing with customers who come back in "a few weeks" wanting to know why their trailer is still not repaired. From my experience, a very common occurrence---especially at high volume dealers.
Tell me about it!

Dealers are geared for sales and not service. Service departments can only handle so much volume. That being said Jayco has excellent warranty. Its just finding time at the dealer to get it fixed. We are booking out in June right now at the place I work. Jayco has to authorize the repairs before we fix them.

I see a lot of damage caused by customers who think warranty will cover it. If you back your trailer under a tree and rips your roof rubber, Dont expect Jayco to cover it. If you put you awning out in a wind storm and it bends the arms, Dont expect Jayco to cover it. I get edgy when customers bring their trailers in and they have an attitude that their warranty will cover customer damage.

When you have an over voltage situation, the first thing to go is microwave then the converter. Is it Jaycos fault you did not have a surge protector on your camper? Not saying this is your case but it very well could be. They will be able to tell by looking at your converter.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #10

Then why doesn't Jayco require it's dealers to warn buyers about over/under voltage and the need for an EMS device? Probably all manufacturers and all dealers should do just that.

Not everyone knows about the need for having them. My friend who has had a travel trailer much longer than I have never knew about surge protectors, and had never thought about them. When he saw me hooking my PT EMS up, he asked about it. Later he bought one himself.

When I bought my first RV, Class B, I didn't use any kind of electrical protection. There had never been a reason to. It wasn't until I started frequenting RV boards that I was first educated about them. After thinking about it awhile, I concluded they were right, and bought one.

The thing is, I suspect the vast majority of RV'ers do not frequent RV forums.

And by the way, the OP said his trailer has never been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post

When you have an over voltage situation, the first thing to go is microwave then the converter. Is it Jaycos fault you did not have a surge protector on your camper? Not saying this is your case but it very well could be. They will be able to tell by looking at your converter.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:15 PM   #11

Quote:

He is right Jayco has to approve everything but they will make it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tinamariemo38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:06 PM   #12

My dealer,Richardsons (ca) and Jayco were excellent in replacing a defective window that would not latch. I sent pictures with measurements to the dealer and they were forwarded to Jayco. Jayco approved the replacement, the window was ordered and I took my TT in when the window arrived. They changed it while I waited. Took about 2o minutes. This was nice as the dealer is about about a 120 mile round trip.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #13

I purchased a 2017 23MRB in November of 2016. I have had the trailer in for warranty work 3 times. There was never a suggestion that I pay anything. My dealer (Manteca RV, in Northern California) has 28 service bays. That was the reason I chose them since I had 3 dealers within 100 miles or so.

I not only agree with Atlee, it really raises an issue that "voltage" can destroy a TT in an instant; why don't they just raise the price and install them in every trailer. Wholesale cost would be minimal; they could even just supply them with the trailer.

I think Jayco is a quality mfg. but they lose a few points on the scorecard when they sell a produce that a novice could "blow up" without ever understanding the issue.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #14

There was one dealer I was in contact with about buying a new trailer who actually supplied a surge protector as part of his "kit" he supplied all new RV buyers.

This dealer actually knew of, and was trying to protect new buyers, from the problem of over voltage, power surges.

I also agree with you about why doesn't Jayco, and all the other manufacturers, for that manner, simply add permanent EMS in each RV they build. I suspect Jayco makes over 200k total RV's per year. Such a large order would bring economies of scale to the purchase. It would cost Jayco a lot less per individual unit than it does for someone like us to buy one new after market.

Jayco could easily fold that into the cost of the RV, either the base cost, or add it to the "Family Value Package" mandatory option.

And it would be an advertising coup by Jayco, or which ever manufacturer does it first. Wouldn't it be great for Jayco if they added an EMS to every Jayco Rv they built, and then touted the extra value they built into every RV they made. Looking out for the customer, and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post

I not only agree with Atlee, it really raises an issue that "voltage" can destroy a TT in an instant; why don't they just raise the price and install them in every trailer. Wholesale cost would be minimal; they could even just supply them with the trailer.

I think Jayco is a quality mfg. but they lose a few points on the scorecard when they sell a produce that a novice could "blow up" without ever understanding the issue.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #15

Not just Jayco, but as with any mfg. They would install low bid, less than optimal devices. Look at the converters and chargers that are installed new and then upgraded by the purchaser. While in would be nice not to have to tear into your trailer to install one, it would be worse to tear out a subpar unit you just paid a mfg at purchase.
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #16

Bypass dealers. They are not franchised entities of Jayco. Jayco has no franchised dealers. You are in a league altogether different than car dealerships. Find a mobile RV repair outfit and they can do warranty work just like any dealer. They are busy to, but are more likely to fit you in faster than most dealerships. Dealerships are swamped and do not have nearly enough facility or personel to meet the demand. Many mobile RV services are techs who got fed up with dealer nonsense and struck out on their own. They can get Jayco approval just like any other place.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote