Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1

Water Damage??!!!

We are currently camping and are disappointed to have noted a buckled ceiling above our master bedroom just in front of the cabinets (see pic). Inside the closet, we are really disappointed to have found the ceiling to be soft in one area as if water has penetrated the inside of the wall (see pic). What is odd is that we see no damage or cracked seals outside the TT. Has anyone experienced this type of damage before? The TT is only 1 yr and 9 months old.
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Thankfully you still have 3 months of warranty left. I would be getting it right into a dealer.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your leak.

If the roof seals look good, then I would say you need to look at the front marker lights. Remove the covers and then the screws. If the screws are rusty they you found your leak, however, the screws do not have to be rusty for them to leak as the manufacture drills a hole for the wiring too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like it may be the seam along the front cap/roof joint ........, or possibly the roof vent if you have one in the bedroom.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:12 AM   #5

When you did your outside inspection did you go on the roof to look at caulking?
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #6

Water Damage??!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donr827 View Post
When you did your outside inspection did you go on the roof to look at caulking?
Don
If you are talking when we purchased it, there was never a roof inspection during our orientation. If you are talking about me inspecting it, I check the roof after every camping trip.
Honda EU2000i Generator
Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

There are probably a lot of people here that will be interested to hear how Jayco handles this potential warranty claim. Really, please keep us posted.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

I wouldn't touch anything, and would head to the dealer immediately. Warrantee!!

Just looking at the pics, my guess it that the leak has something to do with the seam where the front cap meets the roof. Also could be the corner of the same seam where it meets the top of the side wall. It could be the marker light, but I would bet on the seam. Had a similar situation with my previous TT by Keystone. Must have been built on a Friday or Monday because the line crew certainly weren't paying to much attention to what they were doing. Discovered similar damage on 3 of the 4 corners of the roof but not until after the warrantee expired. Turned out that the rubber membrane had been trimmed to short on those corners and as the roof tightened over time, they opened up dime sized holes as described above [Front and Rear roof seam corners]. My damage was 95% on the exterior sidewall and front and rear caps delaminated. Have to point out that if you looked at the seam and corners you would never notice anything as it wasn't obvious until you removed the seam strip and exposed the seam. Don't mess around and go straight to the dealer. For the record, it is important that you are outspoken about your frequent inspections. Dealers like to try to blame the owner for not catching a problem before the damage gets bad. From my experience with the Keystone, the damage is pretty much done by the time you notice anything.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

Water Damage??!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Good luck and keep us informed.
So I did my routine post-camping roof inspection and am certain I discovered the issue...a crack along the seam as you suspected. See the pic. How dis-heartening for as close and frequent as I keep my eye on the condition of this TT. Upon arriving home and unloading it for the winter break, I pulled it directly to the Jayco dealer where I purchased it. I sure hope warranty covers it and I don't get the run-around. If I was aware of something I did to cause this, I'd admit to it, but I can't think of ANYTHING! I'll call them in the morning to explain why it's in their lot. I'll keep you informed.
Honda EU2000i Generator
Old 10-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #10

Good Luck....but I have a feeling it will be a losing battle.....keep us posted.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #11

Normally items like this are considered a maintenance problem and not covered by a warranty. Some manufacturer's warranty states that caulking is on only covered for something like 6 months. Hope that Jayco helps you out.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #12

Water Damage??!!!

Quote:
Normally items like this are considered a maintenance problem and not covered by a warranty. Some manufacturer's warranty states that caulking is on only covered for something like 6 months. Hope that Jayco helps you out.
Don
As I've looked around this site and seen other conversations about this topic, I've pretty much lost hope for any coverage. It also puts into question whether I'm cut out to own something like this. If the roof is this fragile after less than 2 years of owning it, and trying to prevent things like this from happening again requires daily inspection with a magnifying glass in hopes of catching it before the damage is done, it's a lost cause. Guess I'll look into lowering my insurance deductable from $1,000 to the lowest I can make it after this is fixed.
Honda EU2000i Generator
Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #13

Don't give up easy with the dealer. Stress the regular checks. Maynot do any good but worth a try. Dealer may cut you a break and do the repair at costs.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #14

Thanks for posting this, I will be taking a closer look at my roof on a regular basis. I know my dealer will inspect it for free, I am going to be taking them up on this as well.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Some manufacturer's warranty states that caulking is on only covered for something like 6 months.
I think you're on the money with that suspicion.

To be blunt and honest, after my experience with a water heater that was improperly installed during production and Jayco warranty's hard line attitude, I think you are going to be left holding the bill for the repairs. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but in my case I was unable to get them to take any responsibility for collateral expenses resulting from something that was clearly their fault.

Based on my experience, they might say "we'll re-caulk the roof, but all the water damage repair is on your dime."

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #16

Water Damage??!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Good Luck....but I have a feeling it will be a losing battle.....keep us posted.
I received a call from the Jayco dealer service department today. Although I didn't notice it in my inspection of where the seam split occurred, on the roof, screws apparently broke off causing the seam to split.

The entire front of my TT will be replaced under warranty. What a nice way to start the weekend.

I will try to get a better idea of what specific screws, and why they might have broken off.

Will keep you informed.
Honda EU2000i Generator
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #17

That is great news -- and sounds like a really good dealer willing to spend the time to find the root cause and not just take the easy way out that is seems most dealers are all to quick to do.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #18

Awesome! Glad for you....

Kudos to Jayco for standing behind workmanship...

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
I received a call from the Jayco dealer service department today. Although I didn't notice it in my inspection of where the seam split occurred, on the roof, screws apparently broke off causing the seam to split.

The entire front of my TT will be replaced under warranty. What a nice way to start the weekend.

I will try to get a better idea of what specific screws, and why they might have broken off.

Will keep you informed.
That is awesome! Glad to hear that something went right with the issue! Once again, keep us posted..
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #20

Go and buy a lottery ticket, it's your lucky day. I'm pretty sure that 9 of 10 dealers would have just stonewalled this and put it back on you. In my case, the top strip on the front [with awning] and rear of the trailer were installed without pulling the paper backing from the caulking strip. Clear manufacturer's error, but I was out of warrantee so it was all on me.

You're result was a WIN for all of us who haven't been so lucky. Really happy for you. Enjoy the repaired TT.