Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Water damage on the floor

This yeawr we bought a used Jayflight SLX 195RB and it has been great until we recently noticed a soft spot in the floor. I thought I would be able to do a small repair in the floor, but I was wrong. I pulled up a section of the lenolium floor and found the damage is larger than I thought.

It runs from the door sill to about 1 foot in. It also runs from the closet to under the dinette seat. Looks like I will be using the camper cautiously for our last trip next weekend and taking it to a dealer for repair.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20211002_130505603.jpg   PXL_20211002_130424732.jpg   PXL_20211002_130429879.jpg   PXL_20211002_130434761.jpg   PXL_20211002_130439757.jpg  

Dreaded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #2

Did you find the source of the water coming in? I would like to know so I can inspect my 195RB as would many others. Plus I would expect the whole SLX series of many models have similar doorways. Also, could you post your year in case it is a date of production related problem.
As to the solution, my brother bought an older Airstream with the same problem. We pulled up the floor and found mushy wood. We cut a piece to fit a hole we made in the floor and supported it with treated 2 X 4's we attached to the frame. The pulled up all the linoleum and use a rubber snap together flooring throughout. Looked better than the original floor and rubber plank was easier to fit than roll flooring and not expensive.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:44 PM   #3

I haven' foud e source yet. Hoping they do when I take it in for repair. It's a 2018 SLX. We bought it used from a family friend and he hadn't used it very much.
Dreaded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #4

I thought Jayco uses 5/8 tongue and groove plywood in the Jay Flight floors; that looks like chip board. Did Jayco use chip board, or did a previous owner replace the flooring? Or does Jayco use osb in the slx 7' models?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded1 View Post
It runs from the door sill to about 1 foot in.
It seems if the water damage is only a foot deep from the door sill in, the water could be coming in from the wheel well...from the tire, road splash from rain soaked roads.

Makes sense to me, but what do I know, I'm a newb. I'm going to check my wheel wells later today on my 145RB.

Good luck.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

I seal all around the interior of the wheel wells with black OSI Quad. Like RTV, it has excellent resistance to grease, tar, asphalt, and other chemicals that splash up from the road. RTV would work also, but it's softer than Quad. RTV is a great choice for areas that are not has heavily bombarded with debris, like screws/fasteners, windows, doors, etc. Quad is my personal number one choice for a road impact area.

When in doubt, caulk it: rule #3 of RV ownership.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

We had the same problem with our 145RB. Floor at the door was spongy within weeks after driving about 1 hour through an extremely hard rain. We traded it in before I had to fix it. I think the water came up from the road during the hard rain as I was up to date on caulking mtce.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
We had the same problem with our 145RB. Floor at the door was spongy within weeks after driving about 1 hour through an extremely hard rain. We traded it in before I had to fix it. I think the water came up from the road during the hard rain as I was up to date on caulking mtce.
Click image for larger version

Name:	canvas.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	76078 Here is a photo I took from under our 145RB. On the left where is states STEP is the step and door into the trailer. On the right side of the photo is WHEEL WELL. In between where the arrows are is plastic and I can see where water could possibly enter in a heavy rain.

I am going to figure out away to cover that plastic in the center, possibly with a piece of sheet metal and then seal the heck out of it.

I hope that makes sense. Did my best to explain it.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #9

You explained it well. I added mud flaps on each side to displace road water but unfortunately did this after the heavy rain. Also vowed to pull over next time we’re caught in heavy rain.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote