Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2021, 02:51 AM   #1

Water heater

So I just purchased a 30 ft 1993 25th anniversary edition jayco eagle series travel trailer. I bled the gas lines and get the pilot lit I feel heat coming out the exhaust and it stays lit sometimes for 1 min other times 5mins then I hear click and it's out. I blow compressed air right into the housing for everything do I need to take certain things off to blow out. Should I even use compressed air. And it also has some thick black hard stuff on where the gas comes out to the igniter could that be the problem and if so how do I clean it off. With out damaging anything. I just started outdoor services company so money right now is tight and I live in this full time and would like to shower in my camper instead of some of these bath houses. Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated.
Fulltimer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

Sounds like you have incomplete combustion due to one of several causes. Watch a couple youtubes on water heaters.

A quick check should show that you don't have blockages in the flue such as a dead mouse or a bunch of stink bugs. If it is blocked that I would gently brush the flue the loosen the soot and blow it out. The burner should have a nice clean blue flame. If it is dark yellow/orange you may need help determining why.

Before you do anything but check for obstructions get some education.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #3

If your flame doesn't look blue, there may be spiders making a nest in the gas line near the air intake vent. Spiders love propane and it doesn't take much to interrupt the proper flow of gas. It's pretty easy to take it apart and clean it--just don't bend anything.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Spiders love propane and it doesn't take much to interrupt the proper flow of gas.
I wonder if they get stoned by the fumes and have little spider parties?
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #5

Full timer, you mention a pilot and igniter. Likely it isn’t both. Being a 93 I’d kinda expect a pilot but can’t say for certain.
As pointed out critters like to nest in the burner tube.
Since you’ve blown out the burner tube sounds like that’s not the issue. Just to be clear, the burner tube is where the heating flame goes, not where it comes from.
I’d suggest lighting it and watching for a few minutes. As pointed out, the flames (I’m assuming you have a pilot) should be a blue color.
The hard black stuff you mention may be soot which may be causing a problem.
Let us know what you find out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilot light