Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #1

Water heater and pump

We have recently purchased a 2007 jayco 25rks. I noticed that when I turn on the pump occasionally it will cycle. I have recently repaired a leak at the city water connection and suspect this may have been the cycling issue but it raised a point. When boon docking do you turn on the pump as needed or just leave it on? The reason I ask is if you have the water heater running is it best to have the pump on to keep the heater full? I noticed when I turn the pump on u can hear gurgling from the hot water tank as though it has lost some water. I don't want to run the heater without water and I want to run as little as possible when I don't have a power supply to charge the batteries yet. What do you do? Solar system will be a project in the future.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
BCK

We nearly always turn the pump off when not in use.

Agreed on the water heater being full of water comment. We also keep it turned off when boon docking and only turn it on when we need actually need hot water. On gas the water heats up in minutes anyway and avoids problems like using propane for nothing or having one of the kids leave a bike or similar too close to the exhaust vent etc.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Thanks that is what I was thinking was best. Ran the hot water tank and timed it thinking I would leave it off until water was needed it as well and it took about 20 miss so not a real big deal.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote