Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Sorry Dannie0429! I misunderstood what was asked. I thought they were talking about the plug, not the annode.
Skids, no problem..
Dannie0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #22

On my TT, I was able to use a 15/16 socket on an extension to remove that plug. I could "straddle" the propane line that runs in front of the plug with my fingers (thumb over, fingers under) and get it started to ensure the plug doesn't cross-thread, then snug it down with the socket.

On my MH (same water heater), that line is positioned slightly different, so I don't have a straight shot to the plug anymore. Plus my fingers don't straddle it right any more.

So, while I have historically removed the plug as it was easy, I'm looking at other methods now...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

On my MH (same water heater), that line is positioned slightly different, so I don't have a straight shot to the plug anymore. Plus my fingers don't straddle it right any more.

So, while I have historically removed the plug as it was easy, I'm looking at other methods now...
On my rig (same heater too), I did the nylon nipple/braided hose with valve deal. I wanted to make it easy to drain the heater between trips (so it doesn't ferment), and removing and re-threading the plug each time, wasn't in the plan.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
On my TT, I was able to use a 15/16 socket on an extension to remove that plug. I could "straddle" the propane line that runs in front of the plug with my fingers (thumb over, fingers under) and get it started to ensure the plug doesn't cross-thread, then snug it down with the socket.

I have one of these wrenches for the drain plug. I do usually use a socket, but this one stays in the TT.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Water-H.../dp/B00BMRRZ94

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
On my rig (same heater too), I did the nylon nipple/braided hose with valve deal. I wanted to make it easy to drain the heater between trips (so it doesn't ferment), and removing and re-threading the plug each time, wasn't in the plan.
When we get to camp I do these 5 things:
* turn on the power switch and plug in the shore cord.
* open the valve on the propane tank.
* switch on the fridge.
* light the stove to purge gas, then turn off again.
* turn on the hot water tank.

(In Winter I also start the furnace, and of course the water tank is not lit because it's dry)

At the end of the weekend, I turn off all the stuff I just turned on, refill the fresh water tank And add 1 oz of bleach per 10 gal of added water.

I only use clean city water, and actually I drink it as well. Seems OK to me and I never saw any fermenting. The only time I drain the system is late October before the freeze sets in.

YMMV.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #26

Nice neat job. Brass into aluminum or galvanized would concern me. I used a nylon/plastic adapter to connect to the tank to be safe.
Mrlin10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannie0429 View Post
With the help of a friend made this water heater drain relief. Releases the water for winterizing. I attach a braided hose to end to direct the water flow. No more fighting with that plastic plug.
Any help on the part or thread that screws into the HWH? Where was it purchased? What department at Home Depot?
Scuba357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba357 View Post
Any help on the part or thread that screws into the HWH? Where was it purchased? What department at Home Depot?
When I did mine, my Depot didn't have it, had to order on Amazon.

Search for "nylon 1/2" nipple".
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #29

Quote:

A tip to prevent cross threading for those who don't know and this applies to screw threads of all kinds: Start by slowly turning by hand counter-clockwise until you hear and or feel a subtle "click." Now you are properly seated with screw thread properly started. Now turn clockwise as you normally do to tighten. Works every time! Especially good for plastic threads.

-Teddy
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #30

Water Heater Drain

You would have thought that the water heater manufactures and the trailer manufactures would have gotten together and installed a low point drain under the trailer to drain the hot water heater without all the mess. Also the water left in the water heater after it is drained , if it freezes will only rise in the water heater tank. It will not damage anything.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Dumb question, but my plug has the anode rod to help reduce corrosion. Is it ok to remove this?
Yes, I remove mine annually to drain and also inspect for replacement of necessary.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #32

I just have teflon tape on my plastic plug, and I only have to hand tighten it to prevent it from leaking. When it comes time to drain the tank, I just loosen it by hand. The teflon tape lasts a couple of years for me before I have to reapply it.

BTW, to the original poster, I see your spare key! I wonder how many of us hide the spare in the hot water heater?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #33

Great idea. Really hits a cord because I just soaked myself draining mine.

Could you share more details on the different fittings and sizes? Also, why the L instead of just putting the fitting on the end of the pipe before it Ls?
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #34

Yup. That’s all I do. Open up the 2 low point drains and everything from both the pipes and water heater comes out. What ever small quantity is left in the water heater doesn’t cause an issue.
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
A tip to prevent cross threading for those who don't know and this applies to screw threads of all kinds: Start by slowly turning by hand counter-clockwise until you hear and or feel a subtle "click." Now you are properly seated with screw thread properly started. Now turn clockwise as you normally do to tighten. Works every time! Especially good for plastic threads.
That's a good tip!
Thanks, Teddy.
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
. . . I did something similar. I installed a short nipple, and used a braided flexible sink hose, with a 1/4 turn valve like yours. When I drain, I just let the hose drop out of the compartment.
Thanks Jagiven.
Would like to see a couple photos of that. I like your idea.
Where did you shop for the parts?
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba357 View Post
1/2 inch male apex adapter. Home Depot.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I just have teflon tape on my plastic plug, and I only have to hand tighten it to prevent it from leaking. When it comes time to drain the tank, I just loosen it by hand. The teflon tape lasts a couple of years for me before I have to reapply it.

BTW, to the original poster, I see your spare key! I wonder how many of us hide the spare in the hot water heater?
We store our camper and have it delivered to campsite. So key is for them. Don't tell anyone .��
Old 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideo View Post
Great idea. Really hits a cord because I just soaked myself draining mine.

Could you share more details on the different fittings and sizes? Also, why the L instead of just putting the fitting on the end of the pipe before it Ls?
1/2 inch male pex adapter, 90 degree pex union. and 1/4 turn valve. The L was because couldn't screw in the cut off because of tight fit against gas line. Even if we had screwed in the adapter and then connected the cut off it would not unscrew if needed.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #40
SUP

The only problem with all these ideas, although great in theory, is that the plastic plug is plastic for a reason. If your pressure relief valve fails under pressure the plastic plug is designed to blow out instead of your water heater tank exploding.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote