Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #1

Water Heater - Gas or Electric?

Been using my trailer now and with 3 or 4 people wanting a shower wonder which setting, gas or electric, for fastest recovery time?

There may be no difference at all. It's only got a 6 gallon heater, so I'm not expecting much, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #2

Have always found that the gas setting recoverd at a much faster pace just like my home water heater to save money at night I will switch it over to electricity then back to gas in the morning
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM   #3

You can use both at the same time.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Yep, this will give you a faster recovery.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

Big expert here (NOT). But run your electric during normal times to just keep hot water around for dishes, washing hands, small things like that. Right before everyone starts their showers hit the gas button as well. Once finished go back to electric only. Our one and only outing with our new TT we did just electric the 1st night and it struggled over 3 showers. The second night I hit the gas and had plenty of hot for 5 showers.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Big expert here (NOT). But run your electric during normal times to just keep hot water around for dishes, washing hands, small things like that. Right before everyone starts their showers hit the gas button as well. Once finished go back to electric only. Our one and only outing with our new TT we did just electric the 1st night and it struggled over 3 showers. The second night I hit the gas and had plenty of hot for 5 showers.
That is what we do also!!!
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Hmmm good plan. I ran both at first then thought wait I pay for gas and eclectic is included in the camping fee...

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #8

I'm not sure how big my heater is on my 2012 29 RLDS but I think it's 8 gals. There is only 2 of us and I never use gas only electric and we never run out of hot water.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #9

Before you fiddle with the gas/electric, the best way to extend your hot water is to purchace one of these oxiginated shower heads. They double the shower length you can take. Definetly one of the smartest purchaces we have made for our RV. Here is a link to one at camping world..http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...it-white/68324

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
+1
6 gallon tank, 2 showers, DW washing her hair, dishes... Still plenty of hot water... Turn the gas off (leave the electric on) right before bed, and we're GTG.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm gonna try this thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
Before you fiddle with the gas/electric, the best way to extend your hot water is to purchace one of these oxiginated shower heads. They double the shower length you can take. Definetly one of the smartest purchaces we have made for our RV. Here is a link to one at camping world..http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...it-white/68324
Thanks, I'm gonna try this, if nothing else for better pressure!

I think I just located one at a store 7 miles from me! Gonna try and stop by after work today.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #13

We use electric all the time except when showering.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:39 AM   #14

We have a ten gallon HWH and get all the hot water we need for a long shower using just the electric side. With just two of us there's no need to rush the recovery with gas & electric. But when stopping for one-nighters I do use the gas for the initial warm up. I haven't timed it but the gas does heat the water up quicker than electric.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #15

X2 on the 10 gallon WH. In the summer, you can stand in the shower for 20 minutes and still not run out of hot water and that's on the electric side. I do run it on gas periodically to test that function as well.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #16

How long does it take to heat up using electric on Attwood 6 dsi? I have tried it today (dewinterizing), gas worked great, in 30 min hot water, electric did not want to heat up. This is a brand new Jayco and first time turning Wh on electric. I left it for two ours after running it on gas, I did let it cooled down before electric start. After two hours it was same. not even warm. I don't think its a heat element. proper procedure was followed before firing up. does it really take long time on electric?
zlaninomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

No, in most cases the HWH warm-up time is about the same (electric/LP). Check that the HWH breaker wasn't tripped in the breaker/fuse panel..., if nothing obvious then a visit to your RV dealer may be required.

I assume that you have the exterior 30amp shore power cord connected to an electric power source, and that the HWH isn't in by-pass mode (LP may have warmed some water in by-pass line).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yep, this will give you a faster recovery.
I just learned something new today. I never would have hit both buttons; thanks much.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Very interesting. I never thought of that. With my previous Lance TT, it had 6 gal quick recovery water heater. Also, I had the Oxygenics shower heads (one of the best upgrades in RV). The Water heater was always in electric mode- why use gas while I am paying for electricity at the campsite, right?

Anyway, while the Oxygenics helped a great deal in preservation of hot water still the water heater couldn't keep up with two full showers. I wish I knew the trick of turning on both gas and electric heater simultaneously back then.

Oh well, I just learned something new today.

Our new Jayco Eagle Touring is coming with a 10 gal quick recovery water heater. Hopefully, this would help keep up with only electric mode. If not, I am hitting both switches right before the showers.
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #20

I have found the biggest reason for slow heating is in coming water temps. In the summer when the water is hot we can usually get by on just electric. In fall, winter and early spring we use both.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote