Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Water Heater Not Igniting

Our water heater has decided to give me fits. I used it the other night and all was well. I noticed before I turned it off that the fault light was on. Next day when I went to turn it on the pilot won’t ignite. When I go to the cover I can smell the propane so I know it’s trying to light but with no luck. It’s the standard 6g Atwood/Dometic water heater. Thanks for any advice. This is our first RV and still learning the ropes.
Ecmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #2

The usual cause is spider nests in the burner tube between the air inlet slots and the flame exit.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

There can be a few reasons why it won’t light. The boards have been an issue in the past few years. There are a few threads where it has been discussed. My first bad board would try 3 times to supply propane and then would timeout due to lack of spark. I would have someone flip on the switch then light with a hand held lighter to get me through the camping trip. The replacement board for that one failed to the point that nothing would work. My 3rd board has worked well. There is also a troubleshooting section in the water heater manual that came with the camper.

Here is one of the other discussions. I have posted in a few so you can search my name if you’d like to find more.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...art-56454.html
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #4

Checked for spiders and other bugs and nothing is blocking it. Tried to manually light it and it did light but then kicked back off. Guessing it’s the circuit board. This is only the 3rd time taking it out.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

The only thing I would check is make sure the igniter is clean and able to sense the flame. Some people have changed to a dino board but I replaced with an Atwood/Dometic board from Amazon.

Dometic Atwood Mobile Products 91367 P.C. Board Potted Gas Only

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYSEX99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Knt.Cb9320DAF
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #6

Check your gas pressure also. If pressure is low it will not light. Pressure regulators are commonly known to fail.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

It took a mud dauber wasp about twenty minutes to put ours out of action by packing some mud in the jet hole. a small wire cleared it after about two hours of fussing trying to find out why no flame when all seemed to be working at giving us one. we now have bug screens on all the locations that use them.
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Turned out to be the circuit board. Had dropped it off at the dealer since its still under warranty and picked it back up this afternoon. One of the resistors ended up being bad. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #9

Glad it's resolved and thanks for letting everyone know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #10

Sounds like something we will suggest for our dealer...similar issues, but we cannot smell propane, just doesn’t work on propane, but does on electric.