Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Water heater question

Hello all, new to the site and looking for some help. I recently purchased a new TT and already having issues. Seems that when I go to lite my gas Atwood water heater it doesn't want to stay lit. It will ignite and stay burning (roaring) for about 5-10 seconds then shut down. It does this a couple times. I have checked continuity to the t-stats and the thermal fuse and they all test good. I called the dealer that I purchased the unit from and got the usual , "drop it off and we will try to work it in". Camping season isn't that long to start with and I don't want half of it waiting to get "worked in". Any ideas? The unit is a 2016 Jayco Jayflight 267BHSW SLX. I love the TT and so do the grand kids!!! Thank you in advance!!!
Downs G-Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

Check for kinked hose.

I ran into this for the fridge. It would ignite and run for a bit then shutdown.

All of the propane hoses run to a single manifold. If a hose is pulled too tight, it'll kink and only allow a small flow. While the appliance is off, enough gas fills the semi-blocked section of hose. Light the appliance and it uses up that 'charge' in several seconds.

Get under there and follow the hose from the HWH back to the manifold. You'll have to tug the hose a little through the clips to get the slack from when it is to where it is needed.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #3

Thank you mike837go. I got under and looked at the propane line. Everything seems to be straight and I did have a slight bit of slack in the line. Nothing that looked like it would be kinked and no clamps that seemed extra tight. I got ahold of the manufacturer and they said it sounded like the circuit board. Guess I will try that. Thanks again!!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Downs G-Pa,

Welcome to JOF

I "assume" that your furnace and frig under LP supply are functioning properly, thus implying there is adequate gas flow out of the LP tanks to them.

The circuit board is a possibility........., but I would also check the air shutter (slide adjustment) for proper adjustment, to much air in the burner tube can create pilot flame issues. Initial set-up should be about 1/4 shutter open, then fine tune from there.

Also, a bad solenoid valve can be another possibility as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downs G-Pa View Post
Seems that when I go to lite my gas Atwood water heater it doesn't want to stay lit. It will ignite and stay burning (roaring) for about 5-10 seconds then shut down. It does this a couple times.
Had the same problem. When I turned the unit on it would tic-tic and light, then after 10 seconds or so, it would shut down. Turns out it was a bad igniter that wasn't sensing flame in the burner tube and relaying it to the motherboard. Replaced it and all is good. $25 on Amazon.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 AM   #6

Thank you for the welcome Rustic Eagle!!
Yes, the frig is working as it should be! I haven't tried the furnace but the stove and oven work as they should also. I will definitely try the shutter and see if that helps. Thanks !!
Old 07-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #7

Thank you TCNASHVILLE.!!
I will see if the circuit board fixes the problem and if not my next step will be to try the igniter. I appreciate the help!!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downs G-Pa View Post
I will see if the circuit board fixes the problem and if not my next step will be to try the igniter. I appreciate the help!!
You might try the igniter first as the boards are around $135. Also, make sure that everything from the gas line to the curve in the burner tube is as straight as possible. As mentioned above, adjust your air shutter to 1/4in.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote