Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

Water heater question

The wife and I recently purchased a 2015 jay flight slx 264bhs We are the second owner and the people we purchased it from hadn't worn the new off of it. They did excellent explaining everything. I have looked through the manual (useless for most questions). I understand how to and have had success with the water heater running via gas. I have a monitor over the kitchen sink. That allows me to check my tank levels. And two rocker switches. One for the pump. One to ignite the hot water heater. I swear I think the previous owner told me the hot water would work on electric or gas. And even both. But for the life of me I can't find a electric on or reset switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polecat28328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

On my monitor I have a water pump switch, a gas water heater switch and an electric water heater switch.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #3

This is my switch

Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

According to the 2015 Jayco SLX specs the water heater is DSI gas only. Does not appear to be electric also.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

This is exterior water heater

Old 03-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #6

Looks like only gas.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #7

Water heater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
Looks like only gas.

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm pretty much a jack of all trades and that's my observation but I could have sworn he said it was dual.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

If you want to be positive look at the rear of the heater and you will see 110v electric line going to it if it has electric also. Based upon your pics and description is it gas only.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
If you want to be positive look at the rear of the heater and you will see 110v electric line going to it if it has electric also. Based upon your pics and description is it gas only.

Thanks. And that's what I came up with. Just wanted to confirm it

Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
Looks like only gas.

Thanks. That confirms what I thought

Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
According to the 2015 Jayco SLX specs the water heater is DSI gas only. Does not appear to be electric also.

Does the range have igniter I assume it has to be lit via a lighter

Old 03-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #12

You'll need a lighter... Also, when first using the propane on each trip, you will want to light the stove to get fresh propane in the lines. After you open the propane tank, go inside and turn one of the stove burners on. Hold the lighter up to the burner you turned on. It will take about 15 seconds to clear out the air before it will light. Once it lights, let it stay on for a few seconds to refill the lines with fresh propane. This will help to get propane to the water heater and fridge quicker (if you need to use gas for the fridge).
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

Quote:
You'll need a lighter... Also, when first using the propane on each trip, you will want to light the stove to get fresh propane in the lines. After you open the propane tank, go inside and turn one of the stove burners on. Hold the lighter up to the burner you turned on. It will take about 15 seconds to clear out the air before it will light. Once it lights, let it stay on for a few seconds to refill the lines with fresh propane. This will help to get propane to the water heater and fridge quicker (if you need to use gas for the fridge).

Thanks again

Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat28328 View Post
This is exterior water heater

I just purchased a 212QBW Jay Flight and my hot water heater is configured similarly to yours. A coworker, that owns a different model Jayco was telling me about being able to use either or both on his hot water heater, but I could not find the 100 lead to mine. But now I know.
Ron Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #15

Is it ok to leave the pump on for the water( if your using the water holding tank ) and the hot water heater on all the time ?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat28328 View Post
Is it ok to leave the pump on for the water( if your using the water holding tank ) and the hot water heater on all the time ?

Yes, it is OK to do so, but I don't.
Since you only have a gas water heater, it will use more propane running 24/7. We just turn it on for 15 minutes before a shower or doing dishes, then turn it off when we don't need it. We have an elect/gas model, so when we're not boondocking and have elect. hookup, we just leave it on all the time.

As for the water pump you can leave it on all the time if you want. The pump only runs on demand (when pressure drops in your water lines due to an open faucet). However, again, we error on the cautious side. When we are outside the trailer for an extended time (hiking, fishing, etc) we turn the pump off. That way, if there is a leak in the system (such as a fitting becomes loose) we won't pump the entire contents of the freshwater tank into the trailer. We also shut it off during several hour periods of non-use, such as at night, although sometimes have to flip it on for that 3AM trip to the bathroom.

Your water pump does NOT have to be on for your water heater to be on. The water heater maintains a 6 gallon (or whatever) supply in its tank. However, you must be sure that your water heater tank is filled before turning on the water heater or you will be needing a new water heater immediately.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Yes, it is OK to do so, but I don't.
Since you only have a gas water heater, it will use more propane running 24/7. We just turn it on for 15 minutes before a shower or doing dishes, then turn it off when we don't need it. We have an elect/gas model, so when we're not boondocking and have elect. hookup, we just leave it on. all the time.

As for the water pump you can leave it on all the time if you want. The pump only runs on demand (when pressure drops in your water lines due to an open faucet). However, again, we error on the cautious side. When we are outside the trailer for an extended time (hiking, fishing, etc) we turn the pump off. That way, if there is a leak in the system (such as a fitting becomes loose) we won't pump the entire contents of the freshwater tank into the trailer. We also shut it off during several hour periods of non-use, such as at night, although sometimes have to flip it on for that 3AM trip to the bathroom.

Your water pump does NOT have to be on for your water heater to be on. The water heater maintains a 6 gallon (or whatever) supply in its tank. However, you must be sure that your water heater tank is filled before turning on the water heater or you will be needing a new water heater immediately.

Thanks a lot. I just recently purchased it was used so I didn't get the whole walk through