Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #1

Water heater temp adjustment

We have a 2013 198rd. Our water is a little hotter than we'd like. Is there an adjustment we can do?

Thanks!

Marty and Kristina Parmer
mparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Probably not. Check the knob on the gas valve if there is one...it will say cold/warm/hot, if not then most newer water heaters have a fixed temperature sensor that is mounted to the surface of the tank. It is possible that you might be able to install a sensor with a different setting...see your dealer or maybe someone who has changed one will chime in.

We simply turn the cold water on a bit to moderate the temperature to our liking.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Water Temp

I took my new TT out for the first time Friday. I fired up the water heater and on mine there is a temp adjustment. At first it WAY too hot but I dialed it back and now it is tolerable.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

Some folks have said that if there is not thermostat control (and many TT don't have one) you can lower the temp by adjusting the HW bypass valve. Open up the bypass a bit and some cold water will bypass the heater and mix in with the hot.

I've not tried it yet, but it sounds do-able.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #5

Usually the gas/electric wh will have pre-set thermostats attached to the tank wall. Whereas the gas only models will be similar to a house wh with the temp control on the gas valve.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

When we are bathing our children we always use all the hot water in the tank when filling the tub and then turn off the HW until they have finished soaking/playing. Hot water temp is definitely at scalding temps for a child straight from the tank. When we are not on full service hook ups, I simply turn off the pump once the tub is full and kids are in it.

The best fix/ mod would be to install a thermostatic mixing valve to temper the hot water, but I have not got around to doing that. On our model the water lines run under the sofa to the hand sink and tub at the back. It would be pretty simple to install it under the sofa I would think, and still have straight, scalding hot water at the kitchen sink.

That is how I have set it up at our house, I have a mixing valve on the hot water line in such a location that the laundry room and kitchen get hot water straight from the tank, but all washrooms are on the other side of the valve and get tempered hot water that is not hot enough to accidentally scald a child (last I checked it maxed out at about 48'C (118F), but my hot water tank is at about 66'C (150F))
Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Some folks have said that if there is not thermostat control (and many TT don't have one) you can lower the temp by adjusting the HW bypass valve. Open up the bypass a bit and some cold water will bypass the heater and mix in with the hot.

I've not tried it yet, but it sounds do-able.
x2
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #8

Some have an adjustment and some heaters don't.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

If you want it colder just turn on cold water more, unless you are in The Phoenix area, then there is not any cold water, coming thru the water hose. It is all hot.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #10

if you have a winterizing bypass you should be able to temper the water by just barely opening the valve between your cold water inlet to heater, and hot water outlet from heater. This will allow cold water to mix with the hot water coming out of heater. Would adjust until you get desired temp.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #11

I would think that opening the water heater bypass valve would be a poor solution at best. Think of water flowing towards wherever there is low pressure. If you opened a cold water tap, hot water would flow into the cold water side. If you open a hot water tap, cold water would flow to the hot water side. This is not a permanent solution, as you would have to open the bypass valve each time you wanted to use the hot water, and then close the valve. Installing a mixing valve is the best idea. I read somewhere that many trailers come with one, if the water temperature at the water heater is not adjustable.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, temperature, water heater