Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Water Heater usage

We recently new to TT Camping, we are the proud new owners of a 2016 28BHBE and are learning new things every trip. i have a question regarding running our water heater. Is it OK to leave it running during our hole trip (2 or three day weekend) or is it recommended to turn it on and off every time you need it. If it is OK to leave on should it be left on LP or Electric or both??
Skibum0780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

I leave the water heater on the entire time we are at a CG. If we are at an electric site, it stays on electric (I paid to use it anyway). There have been times during the hot summer when I was drawing too much electric on an old breaker and the breaker kept popping so I switched the water heater to gas to keep the AC running. The water heater element draws a ton of amps so keep that in mind if you are tripping a breaker. The only time I use gas and electric at the same time is if we want hot water right after we set up.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum0780 View Post
We recently new to TT Camping, we are the proud new owners of a 2016 28BHBE and are learning new things every trip. i have a question regarding running our water heater. Is it OK to leave it running during our hole trip (2 or three day weekend) or is it recommended to turn it on and off every time you need it. If it is OK to leave on should it be left on LP or Electric or both??
We don't boondock or dry camp - always have 30-amp service. So when we set up, we use electricity for the water heater. Only time we've used gas so far is right after arrival and setup when we needed hot water quickly, then I used them both for about a half hour.

We also leave it on 24/7. Not sure I would do that with gas only, but as one of the other posters pointed out in this thread, I'm paying for the electricity so I'll use that and not pay separately for gas.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

I full time and leave mine on electric all the time. I have never had a problem with this camper or the last one I had. I travel quite a bit for work, so I turn it off if I am going to be away from the camper for multiple days in a row.
jws0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Since you are new, be sure to study up on winterization of your water heater and, most importantly, dewinterization. You don't want to turn the gas or electric on your water heater if there is no water in it come springtime.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

It is ok to leave on but if you are running on gas turn it off. At only 6 gallons it takes very little time to warm up.that's what we,does
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #7

I always turn mine off overnight (propane only, not electric). I still have warm water in the morning for cleaning up.
electrostaticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #8

Talking

If we have an electric site, we always run the water heater on electric AND gas to heat the first time. The reason we do this is to use the propane portion to make sure it works and the critters are not plugging it up. After the initial heat up, we shut propane off and run electric only.

If we are dry camping, we run on propane and leave it on. It rarely ever kicks on at night and the couple extra dollars it costs me in a year is not worth fretting over. There is way too much money already invested in camping to worry about a couple bucks. When I want hot water I just want hot water!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

As mentioned, we leave ours on electric when plugged in the entire trip, or on gas if no electric h/u. Once the water lines and hit water tank are filled, I turn in the electric and usually by the time we are set up, and have cooked we have hot water. But if needed, I will turn the gas on also when there is a need for hot water quick, or when a few showers are going to be taken in a row.

Concerning shutting off the gas in between, that is a personal preference. Even when I had the old school, light the pilot yourself model I never shut the gas of at night.

Harbor Springs, as in Northern Mi??? If so an awesome area!!!

Enjoy the new rig!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #10

Water Heater usage

I've got the 10 gallon Atwood. I'm at a seasonal site. I turn on HW electric when we arrive and shut it off when we leave. Our stays can last from one weekend to two weeks. It cycles off and on as the thermostat calls for heat. I've never had an issue leaving it on for extended periods. I would think by letting the water cool down , then turning the heater ON when you need hot water would use more energy than leaving the the water up to temp and maintaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
water heater