Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Water heater won’t stay lit

Atwood 6gal water heater. I have read and re-read the owners manual. It is an absolutely terrible owners manual, just like every manual that comes with Jayco RVs. I can’t even determine which model of controller I have (white Rogers or Robert Shaw).
My water heater will not stay lit. The LP is turned on and I flipped the switch. It will light for about 10 sec then shut off. It will try this 3 times then stop. I checked my LP and one tank is empty and the other is about 25% remaining. I don’t know how to work my LP regulator/switch valve as I have never used one before. I just use 1 tank and when it runs out is close it and open the other. I did turn the arrow to the tank with LP remaining and opened that tank. I checked my fuse by the pilot and it seems perfect. I don’t have a backup. We lit the stovetop for about 5min and it burns clean. Have 2 lights on the control panel when it is on. One light stays lit as long as the switch inside is On and the other blinks when the pilot is lighting or trying to light.

PS, I did get the pilot area a little wet today while I was cleaning and conditioning the roof and exterior. But most of it seems dry
The last photo should be rotated 90degrees clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
746E8868-F029-41BE-B9F3-8606CAF45D69.jpg   6073160A-6DC8-4EB4-A151-B3BB50AFC970.jpg   4D01A3DA-E63E-40AB-A223-8D78026B50FB.jpg  
kirkdl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #2

Can I take my 20lb LP tanks and just exchange them anywhere just like a BBQ grill? For example I believe the Walmart here carries Blue Rhino. I’d prefer to get full talks before I troubleshoot anymore. I heard low LP can cause the pilot to not want to behave.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #3

Yes you can exchange it just like a BBQ. But its always cheaper to refill what you have. Do you have a Tractor Supply near by they all do refills
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdl9 View Post
Can I take my 20lb LP tanks and just exchange them anywhere just like a BBQ grill? For example I believe the Walmart here carries Blue Rhino. I’d prefer to get full talks before I troubleshoot anymore. I heard low LP can cause the pilot to not want to behave.
Yes, you can exchange tanks like you do your grill. Having full tanks should eliminate low LP as a possible problem. When you do install your new tanks, remember to open the tank valve(s) SLOWLY.

You can also have your tanks refilled.

BTW, do you have electronic ignition on your water heater? Many water heaters are. Our 2015 JayFlight does. There is NO standing pilot light with electronic ignition. The burner will quit when the water is up to temp. The burner relights when the water temp drops.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Yes, you can exchange tanks like you do your grill. Having full tanks should eliminate low LP as a possible problem. When you do install your new tanks, remember to open the tank valve(s) SLOWLY.

You can also have your tanks refilled.

BTW, do you have electronic ignition on your water heater? Many water heaters are. Our 2015 JayFlight does. There is NO standing pilot light with electronic ignition. The burner will quit when the water is up to temp. The burner relights when the water temp drops.
Yes I have electronic ignition (2015 Jayflight SLX 264bhw). However it is not gas/electric heater combo it only heats using LP. I will go exchange them and see what that does. I will update ASAP.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

UPDATE: I took both tanks off so I could go exchange them and I noticed one tank was still 3/4 full. So I just swapped the 2 tanks’ positions. I then pointed the regulator to the 3/4 full tank. Before I attempted to light the pilot I also lit a burner on the stove for a couple min. While the stove was still lit I turned on the pilot and it worked and stayed lit after the 2nd try. I don’t know what happened. I do know from BBQing that gas lines can behave oddly. I also know that I am very ignorant with regards to the regulator and switch-over valve. Any suggestions would help
Old 12-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

You probably finally managed to purge the gas line to the water heater. All my gas appliances take several tries anytime the gas has been off for a while.

As for the tank switch-over, use it as it's intended. Leave both tanks on and when the indicator changes color switch the lever toward the other tank and refill the empty.

I refill my tanks at the local feed store until they are rusty or out of date, then use the propane exchange to get a re-certified tank.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

UPDATE: We went to use the water heater again this morning and again had to light the stove in order to get the water heater to stay lit. Any clues as to why we had to do this again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
You probably finally managed to purge the gas line to the water heater. All my gas appliances take several tries anytime the gas has been off for a while.

As for the tank switch-over, use it as it's intended. Leave both tanks on and when the indicator changes color switch the lever toward the other tank and refill the empty.

I refill my tanks at the local feed store until they are rusty or out of date, then use the propane exchange to get a re-certified tank.
Thanks for the info. I don’t really know how to work the regulator / switchover valve. So I point it toward the tank I want to use and when nothing lights I go out there (should be red) and turn it to point towards the other (full) tank?