Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #21

First, a water filter does not take ou smells unless it has carbon, or activated charcoal. Even then the lfe is limited. Nexr, the water filter is rated in microns. A filter rated at 5 microns takes out particles 5 microns and above. 80 microns is a hair. So rusty red water (about 4 microns or less) will get past the filter meaning run the shore water to make sure it's clear. One place took 5 minutes. Now filters for city water are essentially useless because the standards for city water exceed bottled water. So, use a Brita for drinking,and coffee for taste, not microbes. Filter if you feel good to remove the rocks and rodents. If you don't good. I've never owned a filter. To let you know I am a chemical engineer that worked in water treatment. When we hook up, we run the camp faucet until it's clear, hook up, run to toilet for about a minute, then call it good. For tasty water we use a Brita to take out the smells and chlorine.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #22

Regarding hook up order here's how we do it. Run the camp faucet onto the ground until you think it's clear. Smelling chlorine is good. We went to on campsite that ran red (rusr) for over five minutes because the site was seldom used. Then hook up the hose and run some water to flush out the bugs. Now hook it to the trailer where you have the pressure regulator at the trailer. Two reasons: Take the pressure drop at the trailer not at the camp faucet. Makes for better showers. You won't forget the pressure regulator if it's plugged into the city water inlet. Oh a third reason, if you leave it onto the city water inlet there is less chance of a leak.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #23

Thanks for the input Thompson. We camp a lot in the national forests with hand or solar pumps usually with shallow wells. Any suggestions on how to deal with that?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
I don't know if there is a "right" way, but here's my 2 cents.
I start with connecting the filter to the bib to avoid running contaminated water through my equipment, keeps my regulator, hose, and trailer cleaner. Next, the pressure regulator; this way I'm getting clean water through the regulator and not exposing any expensive components to excess pressure. Then the hose, and finally a 90 degree elbow to the city water inlet on the trailer.
The Camco blue inline filter requires pressure regulator before filter.
E327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #25

The RISK w/ your rigid setup of having filter on elbow is YOU/ SPOUSE/ NEIGHBOR KIDS TRIP on hose and snap off your fitting; great RISK REDCTION to use the short hose there, or same use of short hose if filter installed at hose bib/ faucet.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #26

Your biggest concern is virus and bacteria. I don't remember the chlorine/bleach treatment. You can look it up. I would use about a cup of unscented bleach and then fill your fresh water tank. That should kill the bugs. Shower, etc. with that. Drinking use a Brita. It doesn't take the good minerals out of the water.but will take out bleach. The way to get the bleach into the tank is to run it into the hose before connecting. I have a filter housing and put it in there. Note I didn't say filter. Or if you have a tap to feed water, put the cup of bleach there and fill the tank.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #27

OK. Since a couple of you asked here's the order for an untrusted water source. Run the spigot until it is clean. Put an appropriate amount of beach into your fresh water tank. Fill the tank with the water. Run that until tank is MY. Repeat. Use a Brita for drinking and coffee to remove chlorine.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #28

For every 12 gallons in your fresh water tank use a teaspoon of bleach. So 36 gallons needs three teaspoons. Again, use a Brita for drinking. If you. Smell chlorine from the Brita, time to change the element
Old 10-07-2018, 12:16 AM   #29

First, run water from the bib to clear the .ud, blood, and rust. Then hook up the hose and run some water through it. Next the filter and run water through it. The connect it to the regulator that is permanently attached to the fresh water inlet. We don't use 90 degree as they add pressure drop.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #30

Thanks for the questions. It was good to help others. God bless.