Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #1

Water hookup - what order?

This is probably another dumb newbie question , but does it matter what order you hook up the pressure regulator, torpedo filter, and hose to the city connect? I’ve been attaching faucet to hose to the regulator to the filter to the coach with a 90-degree elbow (see photo). My thinking is anything (ie bad taste) in the hose gets filtered. But I’m seeing most folks with the regulator and filter right off the hose bib. Does it matter? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
D9617E6B-0CF7-46D0-AB14-D291C717C210.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
This is probably another dumb newbie question , but does it matter what order you hook up the pressure regulator, torpedo filter, and hose to the city connect? I’ve been attaching faucet to hose to the regulator to the filter to the coach with a 90-degree elbow (see photo). My thinking is anything (ie bad taste) in the hose gets filtered. But I’m seeing most folks with the regulator and filter right off the hose bib. Does it matter? Thanks!
Your setup is fine but the section hose from the bib to the regulator is at full pressure (whatever that is). Having the regulator at the bib like you've seen others do, means that the section of hose would be at the regulator pressure.

This season I've had the regulator attached to a Y that is connected to the bib. The Y gives me an attachment point for my 'brown' hose. Other seasons I've had the regulator at the trailer end.

I've not detected any taste from RV water hoses, but there is no reason not to do it your way. I do run water through my fresh water system and hoses before attaching them to the trailer just in case a bug made a home in there.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

Thanks! I just bought a “Y” for the bib and some quick connects for the fresh hose and my black flush. But should I put a back flow or something to prevent contaminating the “clean side” of the “Y”?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:31 AM   #4

I install the water filter at the bib just so the weight of the filter won't be on the TT connection hanging in the air so to speak.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Thanks! I just bought a “Y” for the bib and some quick connects for the fresh hose and my black flush. But should I put a back flow or something to prevent contaminating the “clean side” of the “Y”?
Lucky,
If it was me, I don’t know if I would leave my black tank flush line connected to the “y.” Maybe I’m just overly paranoid about such things.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #6

I don't know if there is a "right" way, but here's my 2 cents.
I start with connecting the filter to the bib to avoid running contaminated water through my equipment, keeps my regulator, hose, and trailer cleaner. Next, the pressure regulator; this way I'm getting clean water through the regulator and not exposing any expensive components to excess pressure. Then the hose, and finally a 90 degree elbow to the city water inlet on the trailer.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

We try to do it in this order:
spigot > water pressure regulator > water filter > fresh water hose > water hose elbow > water inlet on camper.

If the spigot is really low to the ground and we can't get the filter on straight, then we will attach it to the camper elbow.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
spigot > water pressure regulator > water filter > fresh water hose > water hose elbow > water inlet on camper.

If the spigot is really low to the ground and we can't get the filter on straight, then we will attach it to the camper elbow.
X2
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 PM   #9

We usually go filter regulator hose 90 degree elbow at camper. I always wanted to put clean water through the regulator and get my full 45psi in the camper inlet. Saw a guy the other day put the hose on the bib then the regulator and filter at the camper connection and seemed to work fine?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

I've burst a hose before, so I put regulator at the spigot.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:37 PM   #11

I put a Y on bib, regulator, filter, hose, elbow at trailer. I do connect my black tank hose to the Y, but not to the RV until ready to use it. I also use that hose (when we work kamp) to water grass, hose off Rv and Truck. Only time the black tank rinse hose is connected is when I am actually using it. Unregulated pressure since I'm really not concerned since the black tank is open, pressure does not build up like a standard pex hose. I want as little weight on the trailer connection as possible. I'm thinking of getting a larger filter that I will house in a 5 gal bucket..Have a 10 hose that will connect to the RV, and a longer hose that will connect to the regulator/bib.. I can use one filter for most of a season, plus, more choices in type of filter...perhaps even install two filters, one sediment and one for chemicals taste etc.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #12

Wag let me know if you find a bigger filter as some of these camp grounds have some nasty smelling water that gets through our little blue one?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
Wag let me know if you find a bigger filter as some of these camp grounds have some nasty smelling water that gets through our little blue one?
Camco makes a filter which is a whole house type, as do a number of other companies. They even make a "stand" to hold the filter upright. My thought was put it in a 5 gallon pail, drill two holes for the hoses to go out and with a top on it, it's protected from the weather. Price on the Camco is about $34 on Amazon...A bigger filter won't get clogged when silt is in the water, which happens at many campgrounds when on wells.

Camco EVO Premium RV/Marine Water Filter, Greatly Reduces Bad Taste, Odor, Sediment, Bacteria, Chlorine And Much More (40631)

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Lucky,
If it was me, I don’t know if I would leave my black tank flush line connected to the “y.” Maybe I’m just overly paranoid about such things.
I agree. I don't keep a BT flush line connected. There's no reason to. I only connect a hose when I'm going to flush it.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #15

Thanks Wags, will check it out.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

We carry a 6' piece of water hose in case the spigot is too low. I've only us it a few times but it's handy when needed.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #17

I put regulator at spigot & filter on 90deg elbow right at camper in front of white hose. Filters hose water that way. I always flush it out first when going to a new campsite right before I hook it up. Always notice dirty water flushed than clear. Must be charcoal remnants or something. New filter every year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #18

One thing I do is after connecting all the water lines, I open an inside faucet which has the drain open. That way you get most or the air out of the system when you turn on the water. Nothing like using the toilet when it is loaded with air pressure. I then let the air out of all the other faucets including the shower and toilet.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
One thing I do is after connecting all the water lines, I open an inside faucet which has the drain open. That way you get most or the air out of the system when you turn on the water. Nothing like using the toilet when it is loaded with air pressure. I then let the air out of all the other faucets including the shower and toilet.
Yep — DW discovered the toilet “surprise” last trip and thought I’d forgotten the regulator
Old 10-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #20

hook up hose, both ends, turn on
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote