Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #11

Just drilled 4 holes in the box

fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #12

I have done the same. but check where you drill the holes to ensure they are not too close to the corners. you don't want the holes right were the box sits on the angle iron the supports the battery box.

tim

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fill The Coolers View Post
We have a '15 28 BHBE and that was one of the first things I noticed besides that god awful strap. I drilled 4 small weep holes in the corners and haven't had an issue since.
Yeah, that strap is really something special isn't it?

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #14

Here's how I fixed the water in my battery compartment. I purchased a diamond-plate pickup truck, box edge mount tool box. Its the only one I could find that would fit between the front of the TT and LP tanks. Most tool boxes are 20" deep...too big. Since it locks, I know my battery will not walk away:

The battery, in the box fits neatly and tightly inside. I installed a West Marine fuse block to separate circuits that previously all ran to a common connection at the battery. I plan to attach the fuse panel to the battery box yet:

At the battery, I eliminated the totally garbage factory connections that used wired nuts and fabricated a terminal block for the positive terminal. I did this mod when the TT was brand new and the connections were already corroded and rusty from the wire nuts. Wire nuts are NOT designed for outdoor use unless these are used:
Waterproof Wire Nuts 8-22 Ga (20-Pk) Obviously they cost more so Jayco doesn't use them.

The orange 12V+ cables are something I purchased at a local car stereo install shop. I believe its 10ga and used for high power car amplifiers. The terminals are designed for home electrical breaker boxes. You'll notice I have two spares. All fasteners are stainless steel. Everything is soldered and has heat shrink tuning to protect the connectors. Just below the orange cables, you can see where the hot wires exit the box, through a grommeted hole. A bonus is all connections come off the (+) terminal with one nut.

When the TT is in the driveway or campground, the WD hitch bars and anti sway store in it. During travel, the longer leveling boards stow there, keeping dirt, sand and insects out of the TT. It has worked out very nicely.

Hopefully this helps give someone ideas on how to spend more money. At the very least, unscrew the wire nuts on your trailer and check the integrity of your connection(s). My guess in may cases is, they're not good.

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #15

Hmm, I had 3 images in the above post that were there when I "Previewed Post". Wonder where they went?

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I replaced my strap with a higher quality nylon strap with an easier to use adjustable buckle (was like $3 for a pair of them on Amazon). I remove my battery during storage, so I wanted it to be easy to remove the box and all and toss it in the truck.
My strap broke last year, as we were getting ready for the first trip of the year. I grabbed a length of solid stranded 12 gage wire with black insulation. Wrapped it around, give it a twist or two, and it has been on ever since.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
My strap broke last year, as we were getting ready for the first trip of the year. I grabbed a length of solid stranded 12 gage wire with black insulation. Wrapped it around, give it a twist or two, and it has been on ever since.
What is it they say? "Necessity is the mother of invention". Sometimes, field repairs end up being better than the "accepted" repair!

Since mine came in a two pack, I'll just grab the other one out of my "miscellaneous" box in the trailer. UV is hard on plastics, so it's just a matter of time before it degrades and breaks.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #18

As far as the water issue - make sure it is water! Sprinkle a bit of baking soda into it. If it foams, it is not water, but battery acid! Probably splashed out going over rough roads. In which case, you may not want to drill drains in the box, as it will then drip all over whatever is underneath in the future.