Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #1

water in ceiling light fixture of Jayflight 26BHS

After a big rain, we found water in the light fixture above the bathroom sink in our 2015 Jayflight 26BHS. I've been on the roof and can't see where it could be coming in. I've seen on another forum that Jayco used to have a problem with porous roofing materials, but that was a few years ago. Any ideas where I should examine more closely? I'm planning to call the closest dealer tomorrow and seek help under the warranty. Thanks!
SailandPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailandPaddle View Post
After a big rain, we found water in the light fixture above the bathroom sink in our 2015 Jayflight 26BHS. I've been on the roof and can't see where it could be coming in. I've seen on another forum that Jayco used to have a problem with porous roofing materials, but that was a few years ago. Any ideas where I should examine more closely? I'm planning to call the closest dealer tomorrow and seek help under the warranty. Thanks!
It could be at the seam where the roof material laps over the back or side wall.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

Or it could be a cracked or poorly sealed skylight (if there's one near the light fixture location). If you have a skylight, remove the inside plastic dome and look for signs of water. It's easier to see cracks in the exterior skylight cover from the inside, too.

I have a lot of unhappy experience with the cracked skylight problem. Good luck finding your leak.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
It could be at the seam where the roof material laps over the back or side wall.
Also, pull the light cover off and see if the water is following your electrical wiring through that horizontal hole in the ceiling. Check your bathroom ceiling fan that could be the culprit by water dripping onto the electrical wire and traveling through that electric raceway to the light fixture.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #5

Above the bathroom sink is where the black/ grey tank vents are.. There is a cover over them..some where around there is your leak...it getting in and following a wire to the fixture..
Warranty either way...get it in asap and do something for heat and moisture to limit water damage..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Thanks everybody. I've ordered 50' of 4" eternabond and a Campo vent cover. To get ready, I cleaned the roof and seams with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I decided to try this before going through the effort to seek warranty work.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #7

if it were me, I would seek warranty work first, get the problem documented before doing anything
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
if it were me, I would seek warranty work first, get the problem documented before doing anything
X2

Let the warranty service claim process take place first thus identifying the actual "root cause".

The source of the leak could be close to the light fixture as mentioned.., or be 6 feet away (i.e., A/C gasket, antenna, etc..).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Site Team

I agree with the PP's. Get the problem looked at and documented before you attempt to fix it. This may make things simpler. Most roof leaks can be traced back to the source by an experience tech.

No need to start fixing stuff until you know where to start.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 AM   #10

X3. If you make an attempt to fix the leak and it is still under warranty, if you have problems down the road, they will blame your attempt to fix it and void your warranty.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #11

Guess I agree and disagree. If it's indoors like mine is, ok. If it's going to be inside at dealer, ok. If it's outside now, and will sit outside at a dealer for a bit before it gets looked at, better do something. You do nothing, it's your fault as well.

Documentation can consist of a written log, video timed and dated etc. I just did that with our old Norcold last year. A video and write up, sent to Norcold and Dealer, new fridge in less than a week. Never took it in for anything but getting the new fridge, which later crapped out but that's another story.

I hardly ever deal with dealers, BUT, a good dealer that you trust is key for sure.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #12
Site Team

I agree on stopping further damage.

Just don't go up there and start Eternabonding until the dealer looks at it if you want a hassle free claim.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailandPaddle View Post
To get ready, I cleaned the roof and seams with Dawn dishwashing liquid.
If you decide to do this before warranty inspection, make sure to follow the directions on what to use for cleaning the surface before applying Eternabond. I don't think Dawn is the recommended product .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #14

The leak can becoming from anywhere including the other end of the tt. The ceiling lights wiring all run across the roof structure, and the down to the light switch. If you do not see anything obvious when cleaning the roof. I would start at the rooftop AC. Check the bolts, they only need to be finger tight. Do not over compress the seal.

Parents had a water leak they struggled for a few years to find. It was coming in at the TV antenna transfered to a light wire and entered a ceiling light about 10 feet away. So so not rule anything out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #15

Thanks again for all the insights. I probably should have mentioned that about 10 months ago, I scrapped a section of the trailer's top on the bottom of a basketball goal. The damage included creasing the vent cover. I applied eternabond then to the affected area of the rubber roof and used a hose to test the vent cover and surrounding area. All seemed well until the water appeared in the light fixture. I'll admit that I shouldn't have assumed that the hose test would prove much and I probably should have had a pro check for leaks then. Going to the dealer after water appeared in the light fixture was going to be inconvenient and likely not until after the next rain. The chance seemed high that the leak would be located in the area I had damaged and therefore not covered by warranty. Maybe even after my latest DIY repair I should pay the dealer to check for leaks. Thanks again for all the advice, I've learned a lot from this forum.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #16
Site Team

Yes that may change everything but it still needs to be located.
Gator roll-up bed cover