Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #1

Water Issues

This is my first post on the site. I have a 2019 287 BHS travel trailer. I have had issues with the water pump. We bought the trailer new and are in our fourth season. I have had to fix many minor issues but this one has me stumped. Starting this season, after dewinterizing, I couldn't get the water to flow. A lot of sputtering and a buildup of air pressure in the lines. I should mention I'm using the water tank and not full hook-up. I primed the pump which seemed to help and of course bled all the air out of the lines. Now the water comes out fine when you first open the faucets and the pump runs as it should. If you leave the water run, the flow diminishes until it stops. The pump runs the whole time. It takes about five minutes before the flow stops. I have not detected any leaks anywhere. I'm thinking new pump. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
mapesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #2

Welcome Aboard

That is a little odd. You can order a rebuild kit for the pump.

Have you checked the inlet filter screen? Make sure it is in good condition, micro fractures can occur. Had that happen and I had some weird pump behavior, but not the same as you are describing. Also check the o-ring on the filter screen. Have you ever cleaned the filter screen?

Do you have a winterizing hose at the pump? If so, check the valve position, make sure it is fully turned to the tank. Also try putting your thumb over the end of the hose, and see if that cures your issue. maybe the valve is acting up.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I did clean out the filter and checked the o-ring but didn't check for cracks. I will try putting my thumb over the hose.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #4

Check the impeller too.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

Might it be possible you're building a vacuum in the FW tank, and the pump can't pull hard enought to overcome it?
Check your vents to atmosphere. If a hose is kinked, or blocked somehow, you could very well be trying to pull against a vacuum buildup.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #6

What you said about the vacuum makes sense. I will do a check of all the lines from the pump to the fresh water tank. I'm also going to disconnect the outlet line from the pump and see if the water flows normally. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

Water Issue Still

I'm still having an issue with my 287BHS. I replaced the water pump and still having water problems. This is about the fresh water tank using the pump. Right now the water comes out like gangbusters at first but slowly goes down to a trickle. I couldn't find any leaks and the faucets don't sputter like there is air in the lines. I'm assuming if water comes out of the overflow tubes the tank is being vented. Is that correct? One other issue I don't understand is if when the I have the water running in the trailer and I open the tank drain, the drain is sucking air and the faucets start to sputter. I didn't think that was possible. Before I cut open the underbelly to inspect the tank, does anyone have any other suggestions.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:38 PM   #8

If it happened after dewinterizing, i would double check all valves. Ours still confuses me after 3 years. I basically turn valves until everything works.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:47 AM   #9

It did happen after de-winterizing. I use two bypass valves at the hot water tank and the valve at the pump to put in antifreeze. I will do a check of those again. One gentleman suggested I'm pulling against a vacuum and that seems like that's what it's doing. The overflow tubes are letting water out so I'm assuming air can get in to vent. I have checked for kinks in the line coming from the tank as far as I could reach as it goes behind the stove/oven. My last resort is to cut open the underbelly to check for any kink in the line or clogs where the water comes out of the tank. Even though we've been camping since 1974, this is only our fourth season with a travel trailer. This was our retirement dream. Seems like it's something to fix all the time. We have to keep it at a storage lot so not easy to work on. Thanks for the post I will check the valves again and hopefully avoid cutting the underbelly. Don't know why that scares me.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #10

Just returned from a trip out for 5 days. Planned on looking at the water system while at the campground. When we arrived and set up the water worked just fine the whole trip. Go figure.