Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #1

Water Larva ewwwwe!

So, a little over 50 years of tenting, tarping, nothing overhead, and RVs.
During this time I seldom drain the water tank, water jug, etc unless it is winter and I'm concerned about freezing.

I've always drank the water at whatever place I am, whether a filling station, RV park, city water dept, etc with absolutely no issues. Some would taste or smell better than others, but no biggie. Bottled water is somewhat new (who would believe people would buy bottles of water?). I had a 99-cent canteen that cost nothing to refill.

Two years ago in Tennessee water smelled- DW and I got a 3-day belly ache. Maybe related? Now we carry bottled water to drink if the local supply seems a bit 'off'.

In March I filled up at a state park after flushing out the winter water. Taste was fine.

Today I went out to top off my water tank in preparation for leaving tomorrow on a short trip. I thought I had drained the state park water when I got back home this time, but I guess not.

Ewwww! Water in the tank stunk, so I decided to drain, sanitize, and flush. While draining I noticed what looked like tiny grains of wheat on the concrete. Closer exam determined they were little critters that were full of a white creamy liquid similar to mayonnaise. After popping a few of them I decided to double up on the Clorox.

Anyone know what they might be?
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #2

Check your water pump filter, too. It might have caught some of these bugs.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:37 PM   #3

After topping off the tank, I turned on the pump and left the faucets off, draining under pressure from the low point drains. Got several from low points.

Cleaned pump screen. It needed it, but no creatures there.

Emptied the water heater (there were just a few in there).

Added more bleach than normal, almost two cups to 50 gallons instead of one cup. I let it sit for eight hours instead of four. When I ran bleach water into faucets no bugs made it through the screen. I'm surprised there weren't any in the lines...same water from the last trip.

Drained under pressure again. The few I found were dead.

I'll drive it a few miles tomorrow to a place we will stay a few days. That should shake it up a bit, so I'll drain it again tomorrow afternoon. I'll put a little water in it before I come home and flush again.

Maybe that will be enough?

Already smells better.

Anyone have the same issue? I can't get to the tank to visually look at it, so water may have a little 'body' to it for a while.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
After topping off the tank, I turned on the pump and left the faucets off, draining under pressure from the low point drains. Got several from low points.

Cleaned pump screen. It needed it, but no creatures there.

Emptied the water heater (there were just a few in there).

Added more bleach than normal, almost two cups to 50 gallons instead of one cup. I let it sit for eight hours instead of four. When I ran bleach water into faucets no bugs made it through the screen. I'm surprised there weren't any in the lines...same water from the last trip.

Drained under pressure again. The few I found were dead.

I'll drive it a few miles tomorrow to a place we will stay a few days. That should shake it up a bit, so I'll drain it again tomorrow afternoon. I'll put a little water in it before I come home and flush again.

Maybe that will be enough?

Already smells better.

Anyone have the same issue? I can't get to the tank to visually look at it, so water may have a little 'body' to it for a while.

After you setup, I'd run water through the whole system and just let it go for a while. Sounds like some kind of larvae.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote