Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #1

Water leak at kitchen faucet

Just got back from my first trip since this COVID stuff and got a leak from the kitchen faucet. It happened overnight and was only hot water. I turned off the water heater (was running on electric) and wrapped the faucet and watched it and nothing happened. So I turned the water heater back on and a couple of hours later it was leaking again. Is this an issue with the pressure regulator in the water heater or the faucet? Unfortunately when it first happened it was going all night and it has destroyed the countertop so I will be replacing that but don’t know if I need to replace the faucet or the water heater (or some component of it) this is a 2018 JayFlight 29BHDB so the warranty just expired... Thanks!
gtafair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
CAG

Go out to your water heater an flip the relief lever on the top. Be careful. Hot water! Just flip it for a half second. Just enough to let some water out. See if that fixes the problem. If it does the problem was the water heater lost the “bubble” at the top of the water in the tank. That can happen with altitude change and creates
pressure which forces water out the overflow or back through the pipes.

Just a guess but a cheap fix if it works.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #3

An idea. When you replace the countertop, take Momma to your (or her) favorite big box store and let her pick a real faucet for the kitchen. Nice solid metal not flimsy plastic.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #4

I will give that a shot. Just scratching my head why only hot so hopefully that’s it. No altitude change but it did sit in storage for 8 months in TX (which is not typical for us, we are usually out once or twice a month) so ����
Old 07-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #5

Happy wife.... :-)
Old 07-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtafair View Post
I will give that a shot. Just scratching my head why only hot so hopefully that’s it. No altitude change but it did sit in storage for 8 months in TX (which is not typical for us, we are usually out once or twice a month) so ����
I don't know if you did this but if you did not drain the hot water tank prior to storage there is also a possibility of sulfur dioxide gas build up. Was there a rotten egg odor?

I know that some do not drain between trips but in my part of the country that means a lot of black dirty water as bacteria grows in sitting water. We have temps in the 110+ and even enclosed water goes bad in a hurry.

Again may not be your situation but just in-case.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #7

I did not drain it but am planning to now. I did not notice any odor but am willing to try anything at this point.

Tags
kitchen, leak, water heater