Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

Water Leak, HELP

Ok so I made this account to pretty well get some info here from the die hards.

Im not an experienced trailer man, although I own a construction company and am no stranger to fixing things. I purchased a brand new 2022 267 BHSW a few days ago. I set this thing up for my brother to stay the night in last night and forgot to check the outside kitchen sink that sits in the cubby hole!!! The sink ran all night, quite slowly, filled the grey water tank, overflowed and began leaking into my brand new trailer. I caught it right in the nick of time. There was a 1.5” wide trail of water across the trailer and a small stream that ran along the exterior wall that ended being soaked up by the floor mat at the entrance door. I’m finding water trapped between the membrane underneath and the floor so I have cut that to let the water out. Currently have fans set up, all windows open, and am going to pickup some small dehums.

How is the outlook on this unit from the point of view of others with similar amounts of water damage? And or any tips for a guy to ensure 100% of the moisture is removed.

Cheers
267bhswdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't worry for one second about it. Let it dry out and in the lifespan of that trailer, it will not make a darn bit of difference.

It's happened to all of us at some point. Heck, I think that every single one of us that has been RVing for more than a day will admit that they have had a similar experience at some point. The ones that haven't yet will eventually if they do this long enough.

If it was black water out of your toilet, we may be having a slightly different conversation. But a little fresh water or even a little grey here and there will be no issue. Just let it dry to avoid mold growth, possibly sanitize the area if you so choose. Otherwise, just move on and enjoy.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #3

Moon is right — “stuff” happens. Good thing is you caught it quickly. Get plenty of air to it and use damp rid or similar items in places to suck up some of the residual moisture. If you’re in a hot climate like ours, it should dry quickly. Lesson learned!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #4

Bring it to eastern, KY put a FEMA claim in on it and get a new one.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #5

Welcome aboard!

Your on the right track! Get it dried up! Long term moisture is were the problem is at with these TTs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
Site Team

I have had it happen and I purchased a Dehumidifier from Lowes, Haier is the brand . I keep it running when we are at home to keep the inside super dry and it has really helped keep the rig from having any mildew problems since new.

I am on my 3rd one after 11 years. It was a good investment.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:54 PM   #7

Update!!

I decided to cut up a piece of floor just to be safe and found water soaked into the floor boards... Currently Spot checking under cupboards and in cubby's cutting into the flooring. Some wet some dry. Thinking the plan of attack is to remove all flooring, get a few dehumidifiers going, wait it out and re install new flooring...
Old 08-03-2022, 05:19 AM   #8

you need to be sure you get the insulation dried in the under belly. I did the same thing, but a lot more water, soaked it. Could not get it dried, called insurance and got a new trailer. Not trying to scare you, it just depends on how wet the underbelly is
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:33 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum! Man sorry to hear that it happens.

This is one of those things that's hard to determine how bad it is without seeing it in person. Sounds like your on the right plan of attack. Thanks for the update keep us posted on what you find.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:16 AM   #10

I had my hot water heater crack over the winter. (Long story as I was in the hospital a month Covid, Sepsis, Pneumonia, collapsed right lung and failing left lung, and low immune system from Cancer treatments. and got out just before Thanksgiving) Tried winterizing the trailer NOT IN THE RIGHT FRAME OF MIND) and may have forgot to winterize the Hot Water Heater.
Anyway, in the spring, de-winterizing the trailer and starting to flush stuff out, it seemed the water filling the hot water heater was running a long time. Went to investigate. Saw water running out the back of the trailer. Shut the water off. Had my family out getting stuff out of the rear storage and wiping everything down with towels, including the floor.

Then I cut open the chloroplast underbelly and also cut thru the plastic tarp like material and a lot more water ran out. I at that point could access the insulation and was able to pull out all the wet insulation. Stopped removing insulation where it was dry. (About 3 x 8 feet of wet insulation).
Wiped everything I could possibly reach down as much as possible. Then removed the under-shower access plate in the bathroom, opened the under-bunk storage access (inside the trailer) and got 3 fans blowing air for 2 weeks. If it wasn't raining, I had all doors and windows open. After 2 weeks, everything felt dry, so I went to Home Depot and brought a roll of insulation and replaced the 3 x 8 feet of insulation I removed, used underbelly tape to tape the black plastic tarp like material back up, then used Underbelly tape to tape the black chloroplast back up.

Had the Hot water heater welded by someone that knows how to weld and hot water heater does not leak at all. Every time I inspect everything that I can get access to. It all is looking good. Important thing is to get everything DRY!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #11

A similar thing happened to me. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize the leak. Four years later we were inundated with ants. Everyone told us we had rot in the trailer, but I wouldn't listen because how could that happen on a relatively new trailer with good maintenance?

A week later my wife was walking around the queen bed to get in, and her foot went thru the floor. The insulation below was completely soaked and a 2' x 4' section of floor was totally rotten thru.

I feel it was bad connections at the fresh water tank from the factory.

Let it dry out? Yeah Right. The floor was opened for 4 months and the rot continued to spread to the other side.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Man sorry to hear that it happens.

This is one of those things that's hard to determine how bad it is without seeing it in person. Sounds like your on the right plan of attack. Thanks for the update keep us posted on what you find.

Project almost complete!! So I cut up all the flooring inside where there was wet subfloor. Followed it until the subfloor was dry. It was all under the cabinets, in front of the entrance, under the bunks, and extended about 3” in front of the cabinets. I cut the flooring out 16” clean in front of the cabinets and am going to install a white vinyl tile after to make it look clean.

This model of jayco has a black membrane underneath, a silver insulated membrane, fibreglass insulation and then the underside of the subfloor. Unfortunately the water got all in between the black membrane and the silver. I pulled all the tanks and ripped open all the black membrane and am currently running some high power blowers underneath to ensure we dry out everything underneath. All the fibreglass insulation is dry.

Upstairs I ran a large commercial dehumidifier for 48 hours and it is dry as can be inside. I have 99% confidence that everything will be fine. Although there is always that 1%….

Tomorrow the underside will be tapped back together, all flooring re installed (currently ongoing) and this rig will be ready to roll.
Attached Thumbnails
7BC197EA-3871-406A-A65C-742A663372C3.jpg   D90A6DA2-01A6-4D83-A77D-E0C8883D26E2.jpg   25099688-CAFE-40D9-8DA6-619A041428D9.jpg  
Old 08-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 267bhswdude View Post
Im not an experienced trailer man
You are now!
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water damage