Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #1

Water line repair

Hello,

I discovered a leaky valve right behind my water heater yesterday. I'm not familiar with the types of clamps used to secure the water lines in my Jayco. They are metal and have a little hoop on one side. Is there a specific tool I should use to unfasten the clamps? I also cannot seem to find a Jayco parts website.

If anyone has experience with these things and can provide some useful links to steer me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks much!
-John
jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #2

Is it possible to upload a pic? Pinch clamps have been used before and require the tool or a good pair of channel locks. The pic will speak volumes!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #3

Pictures are attached

The pics are attached
Attached Images

jdrumsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

They are one time use pinch clamps. Usually factory stuff. You may have to cut the hose to get them separated. Use regular worm clamps when you fix it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
They are one time use pinch clamps. Usually factory stuff. You may have to cut the hose to get them separated. Use regular worm clamps when you fix it.
I would try removing the clamp by cutting with a dremel tool at the crimp. If you use a worm gear hose clamp, make sure it is not too big or it will not be the right curve under the clamp.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #6

You can pry the pex fittings off by placing a flat screw driver under the end near the loop. A worm drive clamp wont work on pex you can't get enough pressure with them. Either use a pex fitting or replace with a shark bite fitting. Worm gear fittings work on poly pipe that is pliable, but pex is a semi ridged pipe which requires the much higher strength of the pex fittings.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

The tool and rings are cheap. I bought them from Home Depot last fall. The tool and rings were in the plumbing parts section. It was really easy to use.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
You can pry the pex fittings off by placing a flat screw driver under the end near the loop. A worm drive clamp wont work on pex you can't get enough pressure with them. Either use a pex fitting or replace with a shark bite fitting. Worm gear fittings work on poly pipe that is pliable, but pex is a semi ridged pipe which requires the much higher strength of the pex fittings.

Good Luck.
That is good to know. Sorry that I gave non technical advice. Luckily, I have never had to work on pex. (knock on wood)
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

Pex can be confusing.. there are 3 different types of pex... one type uses the expansion procedure someone mentioned. You expand the pex, push it on the fitting and it shrinks. Power tool is needed to expand it to the proper shape. Other two types use the rings or clamps and use the same tools. Much greater pressure than you can get with a worm drive clamp. Those kinds of clamps work on softer type tubing, but not pex. Pex is a semi ridged pipe not soft.

Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #10

I used shark-bite connections when re-working toilet supply line. EASY!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrumsr View Post
Hello,

I discovered a leaky valve right behind my water heater yesterday. I'm not familiar with the types of clamps used to secure the water lines in my Jayco. They are metal and have a little hoop on one side. Is there a specific tool I should use to unfasten the clamps? I also cannot seem to find a Jayco parts website.

If anyone has experience with these things and can provide some useful links to steer me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks much!
-John
You can buy identical clamps and tool needed at Lowes for pex plumbing.

You don't want to use 'regular' clamps as was suggested on pex. That's what you have..............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Use regular worm clamps when you fix it.
I wouldn't. Not for PEX. I'd use proper pex fittings. They can be had very cheap. PEX is fairly hard, unlike most hoses, making it less than ideal to try and clamp it down with a hose clamp.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #13

Definitely want to make sure you use proper PEX fittings, as has been mentioned the older worm drive will not work and you'll probably end up with a bigger leak than you started.

The tools and supplies are cheap. If in doubt do some YouTube searching you'll find lots of great info on the basics of working with PEX.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #14

This might fit the bill at a reasonable price ... from Amazon

IWISS PEX CINCH Crimping Tool Crimper for Stainless Steel Clamps from 3/8"to 1" with 1/2" 20PCS and 3/4" 10PCS SS PEX Clamps
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20180511-200556.jpg  
pschriro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #15

I have done many water pipe repairs on my camper for various reasons and have always used shark fittings. Its so much easier than the pex fittings, clamps, etc. also you can buy a 5 foot stick of 1/2" pex and just cut out the leaking stuff and replace with new. The shark fittings have never given me a problem and can easily be remove and refitted if needed. They even make much nicer ball valves than the cheap plastic stuff that comes in the campersLook in home depot or lowes
Old 05-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #16

The only issue with the shark bite fittings is cost. You soon surpass the cost of the tool needed to install pex rings or clamps. As to the tools for pex fittings, you do get what you pay for. The cheap tools are more difficult to use, they can be a tad sloppy. I had a cheapee crimper and wound up replacing it with a shark bite tool, much tighter tolerances and overall easier to use.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:56 AM   #17

Quote:
The only issue with the shark bite fittings is cost. You soon surpass the cost of the tool needed to install pex rings or clamps. As to the tools for pex fittings, you do get what you pay for. The cheap tools are more difficult to use, they can be a tad sloppy. I had a cheapee crimper and wound up replacing it with a shark bite tool, much tighter tolerances and overall easier to use.
Exactly what he said......
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Exactly what he said......
Also, occasionally a steel PEX ring causes a leak because it is not fully tightened. If you have a PEX clamp tool, and you can get at the PEX ring, all you have to do to fix the leak is to tighten the clamp.

You can easily carry a small selection of clamp rings, 1/2 inch elbows, plugs, and couplings. They don't cost much or weigh much, and don't take up much room.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks for the insight.
pschriro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #20

Very helpful thread, thanks folks. Here I sit in a campground with a valve (supply to water heater) that broke off at the stem. Thankfully not leaking, but DW is disappointed at having no hot water. Never used pex and don't have the tool. If I open that line and can't completely fix it, we'll have no water at all, so this will wait until we get home.
AncasterDuo is offline   Reply With Quote