Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Water on the table

I recently bought a used 2007 Jay Flight 25 RKS and tonight my wife went out to the trailer to put some things in it and found a few drops of water on the table. The water was directly under the air conditioner and there was a drip of water on the AC grill also. We had a pretty good storm blow through this evening and I was wondering if it is possible for water to blow through the air unit? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

Take the cover off the interior part of the AC unit and check to make sure the 4 bolts in each corner are snug. This has been an ongoing issue with many Jaycos and it is recommended to check these bolts at least once per year. Some units even managed to leave the factory without being torqued, and others back off loose over time due to the bumps and whatnot when traveling.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Take the cover off the interior part of the AC unit and check to make sure the 4 bolts in each corner are snug. This has been an ongoing issue with many Jaycos and it is recommended to check these bolts at least once per year. Some units even managed to leave the factory without being torqued, and others back off loose over time due to the bumps and whatnot when traveling.
Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow.

Dennis
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Water on the table

I just checked AC bolts and they were all very loose so I snugged them up. However, after further examination I don't feel that was my water source. The AC was not directly over the table as my wife had thought and all of the wood framing under the ac is dry. We had more torrential rains last night and again this morning there were puddles on the table. The floor around it is dry and I can find no wet or damp spots anywhere on the ceiling or walls in the area. The cushions on the dinette are dry. I'm stumped. Maybe someone is camping in our back yard!

Dennis

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372343215.103199.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	8786
Old 06-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #5

I hate water leaks. Had to deal with many on my 06 Keystone before upgrading to a new White Hawk in May 2013. One thing I've learned is the cause is more often not that obvious. The fact that it occurs after rain and you don't have the problem during hot humid weather pretty much indicates it NOT condensation. Water from outside is affected both by gravity and wind. It comes in thru cracks or penetrations but not necessarily directly above where the water is pooling. It can come in and travel along a roof support before dripping out of a light fixture. Usually there is a lite over the table so I would check that out. Also put a towel on top of the table after drying everything up. After the next rain [or make your own rain with a sprinkler] and it will be easier to see exactly where the drip is coming from. If the table is not exactly level, the water will run downhill on the table and the towel will prevent that.

If I had to place a bet, I'd check out the light. Water will typically not just soak thru a ceiling. If it rains and there is a drip, its getting in thru an opening or seam. Since you're saying there is no sign of wetness on the ceiling, I'd go with the light. That still doesn't mean that's where it coming thru the roof. Your problem is going to ultimately be somewhere on the roof or where the roof meets the trailer side wall. To isolate the leak, you can run your hose carefully on the edge of the roof on the side where your table sits. Run a gentle stream for a few minutes and watch the inside. If nothing, then run that same stream carefully around each opening [roof vent, plumbing vent, etc] one at a time. Give each location time for a leak to make it inside. Remember water will travel and not necessarily show up directly underneath where it is leaking. Be patient. And don't worry the little water that you get from your testing will not cause any permanent damage at least in comparison to what an ongoing leak would do. If it is happening everytime it rains, your testing with the hose will likely direct you to the problem. Solution will be easy once you find it. Don't use sylicon or regular household caulking. Get something at your RV service center that is designed for RV's.

PS; Is the table on or under a slide? I had a leak on the parameter of my slide at the tip where it had not been properly caulked causing water to pool on a window ledge inside. First thought it was a window leak but NOT.

Good hunting.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Was the AC running at this time? I'd imagine if it was you either have a blocked drain or bad seal. The mounting bolts get loose over time due to tha gasket gets settled or smushed more due to age and require to bolts to be snugged up. Inspect your seal and get you one of those AC storage covers to throw on it to keep rain out durring non-use periods. I'd start there anyways if your not seeing any signs of water entry elsewhere.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

Water on the table

I think I may have found my problem. The boot around the tv antenna was off.

I hope that's all it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372355965.800908.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	8788

Dennis