Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

water pump?

Used the water pump and FW tank in our WH for the first time this week because of freezing overnight temps. It has worked great, but my question is about every 5 or 10 minutes the pump makes a little noise similar to the noise it makes when you turn on the water, just a a very short churning noise. Is this normal?
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #2

If you're saying that the pump makes an occasional little noise while you're not using water, you may have a leak somewhere.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
If you're saying that the pump makes an occasional little noise while you're not using water, you may have a leak somewhere.

Yes thats what im saying, not seeing any water under the trailer
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

That happens when the check valve in the pump is going bad, normally it holds pump pressure but as it wears out it allows water back into the tank then has to come on to build pressure again. You can replace the internal check valve or cut the line and install a Sharkbite check valve, much easier nothing to take apart, available on Amazon or at Home Depot
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #5

I would agree with Bullitt6283 that there may be a leak. It's losing pressure somewhere, causing the pump to detect a pressure drop and turn on to make up the difference. Air in the line may cause it as well since air can be compressed down (unlike water) and cause the pressure to fluctuate, causing the pump to respond to the change in pressure. Try turning on each spigot for a bit to purge air (including outside shower/kitchen spigots). If that doesn't work, maybe a back flow preventer or seal in/at the pump is failing, letting water seep back into the fresh water tank (that is, if no leak is found).

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Prime through the anti-freeze service line (with correct position of the valves).
In 55 years of camping I never lost a pump. Those pump are solid but like to have liquid in them even during none-use. So winterize them with RV-antifreeze in climates where it freezes.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #7

When checking for a leak, don't overlook the low point drains. I had one that had a very slow drip (actually still does if I'm not careful to fully seat it). Since it drips outside and underneath the camper, you really need to look closely to find that it's leaking.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

i would hope the pump is not out, trailer is less than a year old and first time water pump has been used. no air in lines , turn them all on after I turned on water pump, including outside shower. not seeing a leak under trailer. dont even know what prime through service line anti freeze service line means
Old 10-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
... dont even know what prime through service line anti freeze service line means
Look at the water pump. There will be an "extra" line attached to it. It may be about three feet or so (depending how much the factory left you, maybe two feet, maybe five feet) that is tucked in with the pump. Pull it out to get to the other end that will be open. That's the end designed to be put in a gallon of antifreeze. There is also a valve you can turn to allow the pump to draw from that short line rather than the fresh water tank. Become familiar with it if you decide to add antifreeze to your lines (although, you're in Texas so maybe not as pressing just yet).

You can also use that same short line to prime the pump by placing the line into a five gallon pail of water and turning on the pump. Your five gallon pail becomes your temporary fresh water tank to check the pump.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
Look at the water pump. There will be an "extra" line attached to it. It may be about three feet or so (depending how much the factory left you, maybe two feet, maybe five feet) that is tucked in with the pump. Pull it out to get to the other end that will be open. That's the end designed to be put in a gallon of antifreeze. There is also a valve you can turn to allow the pump to draw from that short line rather than the fresh water tank. Become familiar with it if you decide to add antifreeze to your lines (although, you're in Texas so maybe not as pressing just yet).

You can also use that same short line to prime the pump by placing the line into a five gallon pail of water and turning on the pump. Your five gallon pail becomes your temporary fresh water tank to check the pump.
Thank you, I will look at that in the morning.