Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #1

Water Pump Intermittent Operation

Hi! We just bought a 2019 245RLSW and I am noticing that the water pump will operate about every two hours for just a half second or so when we are dry camping and the fresh water tank is full and the pump is on.

Seems to me that in a sealed system this would not happen. Should I be concerned that a slow leak somewhere is causing water pressure to fall and the pump to briefly operate?

Thanks!
Jackson62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

I believe so.
When we ran first test in ours we didn't fully tighten the water heater plug so it was dripping and the pump was running for a second every few minutes.

Tightened that up and it stopped.
RandomJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #3

While it’s possible there is a leak I’d expect you’d notice water in places it doesn’t belong (under sink, floor, storage area) or drips coming from the TT underside. If you’re not seeing any clues like that the pump is probably leaking internally (the pressure it builds up slowly escapes back to the low side). If it only cycles every couple of hours it doesn’t sound significant and you can probably ignore it. You could also turn the pump off when it’s not needed. Also your pump is most likely rebuildable and parts are available.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

If the pump just runs for a second, you may be experiencing the fluctuation in pressure in the system as the water in the water heater heats and cools. We have this happen. It's normal for us to hear it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson62 View Post
Hi! We just bought a 2019 245RLSW and I am noticing that the water pump will operate about every two hours for just a half second or so when we are dry camping and the fresh water tank is full and the pump is on.

Seems to me that in a sealed system this would not happen. Should I be concerned that a slow leak somewhere is causing water pressure to fall and the pump to briefly operate?

Thanks!
Could also be a tiny piece of dirt/debris in the check valve on the inlet side letting the pressure bleed back into the tank. Or a weak check valve.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #6

I have had that problem a number of times. Typically it would get worse over time and the pump would finally quit.

Found an inexpensive fix that may solve the problem. See the link below for info.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...0-a-91737.html

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
While it’s possible there is a leak I’d expect you’d notice water in places it doesn’t belong (under sink, floor, storage area) or drips coming from the TT underside. If you’re not seeing any clues like that the pump is probably leaking internally (the pressure it builds up slowly escapes back to the low side). If it only cycles every couple of hours it doesn’t sound significant and you can probably ignore it. You could also turn the pump off when it’s not needed. Also your pump is most likely rebuildable and parts are available.
Wow, I never thought of that and it makes perfect sense. We don't leave our water heater on all the time. Typically we will turn it on when we start cooking so hot water is available after the meal for clean up, then we turn it off. Usually some time later we will hear the pump cycle for less than a second and maybe hear it again in a couple of hours. I had traced all the water lines numerous times and never found any wet or damp areas.

Thanks for the probable reason for the pump burps.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #8

Leaking backwards through the pump's check valve can sometimes be fixed by turning the pump off, turn on all of the faucets etc., turn the pump back on. This can operate the pump full-on and flush out "stuff." FloJet pumps have an inlet filter available.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #9

It took me seven years to find my slow leak. Pump would burp once ever 20 minutes or so.
The leak was at the outside shower faucet connection. You had to take a panel from under the bed to expose it.
The reason I found it is that the cracked fitting finally split enough to leak faster and we found a puddle under the bed (yes, water).

I would bet on a leak, myself.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote