Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #1

Water pump not working correctly

I installed a new water pump today because there’s no water coming out of any of the faucets or tub/shower. It’s a brand new pump.

If hooked up to City water, water flows just fine throughout the trailer. But when trying to use the full tank of trailer water the sinks sputter and nothing comes out except some air through the end of the faucets.

I’m at a loss👨🏽*🔧.

Any ideas?
inspectagadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:45 PM   #2

What rig? Do you have a docking station, are the valves set correctly? Also it may take awhile for the pump to prime.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

Depending on your setup, maybe the valve to the winterization hose isn't closed completely. That would cause the symptoms you're seeing.

The way mine is set up, there are two valves close to the pump. One opens the line to the water tank. The other opens the line that you stick in the RV antifreeze jug when winterizing.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What rig? Do you have a docking station, are the valves set correctly? Also it may take awhile for the pump to prime.

2013 Jayco Swift 264BH. I think the valves are set correctly, tbh there’s nothing in the stupid owners manual that tells you where or how the valves are to be set. I left the pump on and the faucets open for probably 15-20 mins and still sputtering! 🤬
Old 03-04-2021, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Depending on your setup, maybe the valve to the winterization hose isn't closed completely. That would cause the symptoms you're seeing.

The way mine is set up, there are two valves close to the pump. One opens the line to the water tank. The other opens the line that you stick in the RV antifreeze jug when winterizing.

There are Two valves close to the pump. One that comes up through the floor which i
Assume comes from the fresh water bladder and there’s another valve after that but before the pump which I assume is the winterizing valve. I believe they’re turned the correct direction. But there’s nothing in the Manual that shows what/how to do anything.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Did you replace the original pump because of the same problem? Is your water heater full from the city hose? Any leaks from the low point drains outside?

If you have a clear winterization hose near the pump, it'll have a 1/4 turn valve right where it transitions to the pump. That valve handle should be 90* to the hose. The valve at the pump to plumbing should have the handle in line with the water line/pipe/hose.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Did you replace the original pump because of the same problem? Is your water heater full from the city hose? Any leaks from the low point drains outside?

If you have a clear winterization hose near the pump, it'll have a 1/4 turn valve right where it transitions to the pump. That valve handle should be 90* to the hose. The valve at the pump to plumbing should have the handle in line with the water line/pipe/hose.
Yes I replaced the original pump because of the same problems. Water heater is full from city water. Got the valves set up exactly like that. And let the system try to get all the air out of the lines for about 20 mins. That's why I'm stumped? There's nothing else I can think of.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

In your message you say "Low point valves" as in plural. I think I only have the one, unless I'm looking at the wrong one/location.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	68583
Old 03-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #9

Had the same problem once. It would not pull a vacuum on the tank side. It turned out to be the water filter on the fresh water tank side of the pump . It had a small crack in the plastic threads that screw into the pump. You couldn't see it by looking at it. Changed the filter no problem after that. I have since read that it has happened to others. Hope it helps.
hwy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:30 AM   #10

sounds like a crack or a leaking pipe between the pump and the tank causing to pull air not water
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectagadget View Post
In your message you say "Low point valves" as in plural. I think I only have the one, unless I'm looking at the wrong one/location.

Attachment 68583
That looks like the Fresh Water Tank Drain. Low point drains, there should be 2 and they are likely just straight tubes / hoses that hang down. The valves for them will be someplace along the water lines. Mine are under my bathroom sink and they don't turn, they just pull up to open. They are used to remove water from the entire system.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #12

If the low point drains are not seated properly (very common because they are cheap push/pull T-valves), you'd see them leaking on city water.

I think the little particulate filter before the pump would be the next most likely culprit that you don't mention having checked. Those things are tricky and finicky. Take the little housing off, clean the screen (even if it looks clean) and closely inspect the housing and the fittings for cracks, and inspect any O-ring for damage or wear.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #13

Update: So others may learn from my problem of the pump never priming and pulling water from the tank. It wasn't any of the great suggestions you all gave but it was a clogged line right at the tank where it comes into the trailer.

Fix: we connected my compressor's air hose to a blower attachment, connected that to the water line and blew it out. I got a clog about 3"-4" in diameter that looked like a pile of cat poo!!!! I know disgusting! (I think it was actually very fine saw dust)

Thank ou to everyone who gave suggestions/tried to help!