Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
Site Team

On this last trip, we stopped in a rest area that required us to park on a slight down grade and I noticed that my pump would not pick up at that down angle. It was working fine at the last stop and when we arrived at our destination, I checked it and it worked fine, so on mine the pickup is affected by the angle of the rig. I may have to start filling it to 1/3 full in the future.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

I'm pretty sure that I have only 1 tank because I have only 1 drain valve. do you think that the drain valve and the pickup are on the same fitting coming out of the tank ???

Dave Tremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #13

I believe angle can effect the pickup but my unit was set up level and left 16 gals so out of the 46 gal available that hurts
Old 08-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #14

I appear to have the same issue with my 2015 264 BHW. When we get ready to pack up I put about 5 gallons in the fresh water tank to flush the toilet and rinse the black water tank after the initial dumping. But with that amount in the fresh water tank I get more air than water from both the toilet and the faucets.

Recently I took it to the dealer for service and reported this and a few other minor issues. When I went to pick it up they reported that the pump is working normally. But then I found out that they completely filled the fresh water tank.

We're camping this weekend and I'll do a full diagnostic and try to determine at what point the pump stops drawing water correctly. If, as I suspect, it leaves a significant amount of water in the tank, I'll take it back to the dealer.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #15

If you get underneath and take a look at the tanks (you might have to remove the coroplast if you have a belly cover), you may see that on many Jayco models, the FW intake for the pump is on the side of the tank, and not on the bottom. You may also see that the tanks tend to bulge downward between where the metal bars hold them in. And if you have 2 tanks, the equalizers between the tanks also come off the side of the tanks.

What all this means is that your pump is working just fine. The problem is that it cannot get to those 16+ gallons of water still left in your tank. And I'll be willing to bet it is more than 16 gallons, because if you are measuring what's left by opening your FW drain valves, you are not getting the water that is contained in the bulging portion of the tanks. Your drain valves ALSO may drain off the side of your FW tank.

This is just a poor design that gets perpetuated from year to year. I think they put the side ports on the FW tanks to have nothing hanging down below the frame so they can put the underbelly cover on and have it smooth across. I added additional 2 inch steel bars to my dual FW tanks to cure the bulging, but I still start sucking air when I start getting low on water, even though there are probably many gallons left.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #16

Could the assumption be made that both the intake and drain fittings are on the sides of the tank at the same elevation. And if so why will the drain allow the 16 gals to come out and not flow to the intake fitting so the pump will pick it up. I agree the tanks bulge or bow but 16 gal is over a 3rd of the overall capacity. So I guess a top mounted pickup system is unlikely. It seems like the easiest solution will be an extra water tank in the bed of my truck with a way to pump it to the camper. Wow I think I jumped around a lot with ?'s, ideas and solutions. Thanks to all who brought ideas to the discussion. I think I need to do a lot more checking of my campers water tank and I will post my findings.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #17

Buy or rent a Waterproof inspection camera,Endoscope or Borescope. may save you the trouble of taking your trailer apart. If you can get the scope in the fill pipe or at the pump inlet you can see what is going on. You may have to live with it due to the cost of repairs. The site below is just an example of what you can do with one of the above cameras. Good luck.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
If you get underneath and take a look at the tanks (you might have to remove the coroplast if you have a belly cover), you may see that on many Jayco models, the FW intake for the pump is on the side of the tank, and not on the bottom. You may also see that the tanks tend to bulge downward between where the metal bars hold them in. And if you have 2 tanks, the equalizers between the tanks also come off the side of the tanks.

What all this means is that your pump is working just fine. The problem is that it cannot get to those 16+ gallons of water still left in your tank. And I'll be willing to bet it is more than 16 gallons, because if you are measuring what's left by opening your FW drain valves, you are not getting the water that is contained in the bulging portion of the tanks. Your drain valves ALSO may drain off the side of your FW tank.

This is just a poor design that gets perpetuated from year to year. I think they put the side ports on the FW tanks to have nothing hanging down below the frame so they can put the underbelly cover on and have it smooth across. I added additional 2 inch steel bars to my dual FW tanks to cure the bulging, but I still start sucking air when I start getting low on water, even though there are probably many gallons left.
I think a lot of this is probably right. Except for the bulging issue, I don't think my tank bulges that much. I didn't get a chance to look last night so I will try this weekend...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #19

I had this happen with our current camper. We bought it last year and our first couple times out, we "ran out" of water with still at least 1/4 tank left (ours is floor mounted under a bunk so you can see it). So after a few times out and prematurely running out of water, I got home and pulled the FW tank out. What I found is on our tank, the outlet to the pump is on the bottom. I removed the 90 degree elbow and looked in the hole. What I found is there is a screen on the inside of the tank at the inlet that is about 4 inches tall. I managed to remove it (by distroying it) and found that the screen was completely covered in an alge like substance. I suspect the former owner never sanitized or drained the tank when they were not using it and this caused the water to allow growth. I reassembled the tank with out the screen and havent had a water flow issue since. I can now run the tank competely empty.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #20

That could be my issue also. that could also explain why the drain will allow the tank to empty as it would not have a screen on it.