Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #11

A couple things you might try or check:

The water heater could have an air bubble. Turn it off and let it cool down. Then go out and open the pressure relief valve (with the pump ON). That is located at the top of the tank and will burp out any air, if there is any.

I had a similar problem on my previous TT. It turned out that the check valve behind the city water inlet (where you hook up the hose) was leaking a little bit, and the pump would cycle for a couple seconds every 5-10 minutes. Those check valves are plastic and sometimes have a flaw in the valve seat or the check stem. Sometimes a piece of debris gets caught in it, preventing a tight seating. And sometimes the return spring can get awry, doing the same thing. Try pushing in on the stem a couple times (after carefully removing the screen from the threaded connector). Stand off to the side, because it will squirt water out at you. (You should also do this when you winterize, too, to ensure the antifreeze fills that short hose between the pump and the city water inlet.)

The only other thing I can think of beside these and the other stuff people have suggested, is the pump pressure switch is adjusted right on the edge. The dealer might be able to help you on this one.

Hope I helped!

Mike

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #12

Yes thank you very much! I will check out and report back

2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

Unbelievable!!!!

Scoutr2.....YOU SIR are a steely eyed missile man.

I went outside to the city water connection, carefully removed the little screen, pressed the little white check valve, got sprayed in the face just as you indicated, and PRESTO....the cycling has stopped!

Thank you...... and to everyone who was so helpful.

I hope to someday answer questions for people as well.
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Glad I could help. I know that drove me nuts until I figured it out! LOL!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Air doesn't compress like water and could cause cycling like that? Just a thought ...

That is backwards. Air is compressible, and water is not.

We have had this happen a few times. We currently have a low point drain that is dripping a little. Our low point drains are under the bathroom sink. It is not uncommon for a little construction debris to be in the water lines. If it get stuck in the valve it will cause leakage.

We had a thumb screw connection for one of our supply lines to a sinks that was just a little loose. Easy fix.

We had a warranty repair, the screen filter housing between the pump and FW tankwas full of spider Web fractures. The fractures allowed air into the housing, but water could did not escape.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #16

The pump will cycle as the water in the water heater cools down. Several times over 3 to 4 hours. I've noticed that my pump will cycle (under 2 seconds) about 10 to 15 seconds AFTER I've shut off a faucet.

I read the manual on these new 'bypass' pumps and I am not pleased with the added complexity just to provide a smoother water flow.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
Sorry one more thing. I have had the A/C running and there's water coming off the left front of the roof....I'm assuming that's condensation. I just thought I'd mention that however.
The condensate drain on the air conditioner will run off the roof at the lowest point, not a problem. The question persists, how is it running if you are dry camped?

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #18

I also had the FW pump cycling occasionally. After having the city water connection used on a trip it got more often. I had no leaks. I did some research and decided to check the pump. I removed the pump head and found the internal check valve stuck. Just touched it and it snapped closed. Put back together and have had no problems. It even runs quieter.
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That is backwards. Air is compressible, and water is not.

snip ...
I see where I screwed up. I meant to say that their compression properties are dissimilar. What I meant to say was that air will compress more readily than water. If you have air in the system, the pump will keep trying to compress it to get to the specified system pressure. If there's a lot of air, the pump will run a lot, if there's just a little air, it will expand and contract quickly, causing the pump to cycle periodically.

That was my theory anyway. I'm glad OP found the problem, and I've added that knowledge to my own "database" for if/when it happens to me.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #20

I may have missed an answer to your question about leaving the water heater on. If you have shore power leave it on electric. I'm not sure what dry campers do when using propane. Either way, make darn sure your WH tank is full before you turn the heater on. I forgot to switch from bypass after dewinterizing one year and fried the heating element.

And the roof drip would be from the ac, no problem.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote