Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #1

Water Pump Question

We are new to TT so another question. On our new to us 2011 Jay Feather the water pump (when using the fresh water tank) will come on for about a second every 30 minutes or so. I have checked all the tap and water heater joints and see no sign of any moisture anywhere. Is this normal?

On another note, after reading all the negative comments about the build quality of RVs in general I was actually surprised at the workmanship with the plumbing and cabinets , not residential but not as bad as I expected! Except for the really strange rectangular divot cut into the floor by the bathtub trap,, which seems to do nothing.

Thanks for the help.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

If you have checked all plumbing and fixtures carefully for even the slightest leak, it could be the water pump's outlet check valve slightly leaking back through the pump causing a drop in pressure over time and the cycling you experience.

One other place to check if you have not already - If you have a gravity-fill freshwater tank it probably isn't applicable, but if you have one of Jayco's water centers (where you hook up your water hose and then change the valves around to rearrange water flow) make sure the external freshwater hose connection isn't dripping slightly when the hose isn't connected.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Others have mentioned that they are suspicious of the toilet valve. Which is hard to detect.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Gravity feed system. I have put my hand on the water inlets on all the taps and hot water and every joint I could find. I shone a flash light on the floors under sinks and taps and saw no moisture at all. The only place I cannot look is any lines under the enclosed under belly but there is no water visable on it either. Is the check valve serviceable?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Team

Another thing that causes pumps to cycle sporadically is the water heater. The process of heating and slight cooling causes the water to expand and contract slightly, sometimes just enough to trigger the pump. This has been a normal symptom of all our campers. Just a thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
Is the check valve serviceable?
Most common RV pumps do have rebuild kits available, but you have to weigh how difficult it is to get to in case you have to change the entire pump in the future. You may decide to just go with a new pump entirely. But only you can decide that, since pump replacement or rebuilding may not be the root cause of your issue, just poking around in the dark.

This is just me talking, but if I had ruled out all other causes (leaks) such as those voiced here on this thread and had narrowed it down to pump bleed-through, I would probably forgo doing anything with it until it got worse, being vigilant for any signs of a leak.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

We had this issue the season before last. It was caused by the low point drains having a drip. I pulled them apart and lubed the o rings and the problem was solved. Just one more place to check. On ours it was dripping outside from the low point drain hoses under the trailer and was not detectable inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

Two more, kinda three more spots to check.

Outside shower faucet. It is really easy to bump the knobs when you are wrapping up the hose to shove it into its small home. I have done this a couple times.

Both low point drains. Most people do not even know where they are. Typically they are located in the bathroom under the sink. They have a Tee shaped handle, but you do not turn the valve, you pull them straight up a ½” or so. These valves are for draining your water pipes. When you find the valves look outside under the TT, if the pipe is a little wet, the valve is leaking a little. Often if they are leaking, you see the ground under them damp. PS they typically only leak if the system is charged and under pressure. If one of them is leaking, (drain the system first) remove the metal retainer ring, pull the valve stop out. Apply a little plumbers grease to the O-ring and reassemble. Easy to do.

Thought of one more spot. Check the pressure relief on the Water Heater tank. Open the outside access panel and you should see it. Best to check it while the system is under pressure.

If it is not any of these, work your way around looking at all the screwed fittings, such as connection between the piping and the faucets, they are known for loosening up.

I guess I thought of a few more things. Happy Camping!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #9

My money is on the low point drains.

Power down the pump, depressurize the system and cycle the valves a few times.

The re-pressurize and listen for pump activity when all the valves are closed.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #10

The mention of toilet leak into the bowl is so very slight that it could take a long time to be more obviously fuller than usual. If it gets a cup or so and then the toilet gets used, you don't notice. If you fkush the toilet dry, then turn water pressure back on you may see the trickle.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #11

All good stuff to try, my son and his family has the Trailer out camping for the week (my wife and I have not even used it yet! Go figure) and I will check all the above ideas when he gets back.

I told him just to turn the pump off when they are not using it. Any problem doing this with the hot water heater or should he shut that off too.

I don't think I understand the low point drains, we have 2 on the trailer, I thought they drained the fresh water tank but I guess not.

If it is the pump it's very easy to work on it's s right under the kitchen sink at the front of the lower cupboard.

Thanks so again for the help, so much to learn!
Old 07-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
My money is on the low point drains.

Power down the pump, depressurize the system and cycle the valves a few times.

The re-pressurize and listen for pump activity when all the valves are closed.
You can open the valves under pressure. That could blowout and debris that might be stuck in the o-ring.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #13

If there are no leaks, it could be, as mentioned earlier, expansion and contraction of the water (more likely the airspace in the water heater expanding and contracting), or even air slowly being absorbed into the water while under pressure. Or a leaking check valve in the pump.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #14

had a similar problem was the water heater plug leaking good luck!!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 AM   #15

Low point drains are for emptying the plumbing. On my unit they and the fresh tank drains are labelled the same. It's obvious under pressure which is which since the fresh tank drain will be a gravity drain whereas the low point will blast like an open faucet.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

Just an FYI, I just went out and turned on the water pump in my TT. It's been about 2 weeks since I had it on. When I turned it on it didn't even cycle at all so that means the pressure has held for those 2 weeks. When all things are right the pump should only come on when you open a faucet.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
You can open the valves under pressure. That could blowout and debris that might be stuck in the o-ring.
[potential argument alert]

Yes, you can open the pressurized system low-point drain valves while the system is pressurized. But, because of the on/off nature of the valves they POP open and closed when operated. It can be unsettling to those unfamiliar.

[back to our regularly scheduled reasonable discussions]

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote