Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2024, 01:13 PM   #1

Water Pump Running but not pumping water

Hello,
Just getting ready for the first outing of the season. Wanted to clean up the water lines and wash away the pink winterization antifreeze. I can move water through the camper with city water, but I can't pump from the tank, which I've filled up.

The pump is not set to bypass as I checked to make sure it wasn't trying to pull in through the winterization tube. I've unscrewed the intake side of the pump and can feel the suction, so it's trying to get water. Lowpoint drains were all closed as I found those when connected to city water as they drained to the ground. there were a total of 3 of those valves that needed to be closed.

The pump runs continuously, it's apparently not getting water. Any ideas of what I can do?

I have a 2022 Jay Flight SLX 8 242BHSW. The water pump is directly under the sink.
steigw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:15 PM   #2

If your water heater is empty it takes some time to fill before any water will come out of the faucets.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #3

^^^2
Also, check the strainer at the water pump, may be loose or cracked.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
If your water heater is empty it takes some time to fill before any water will come out of the faucets.
I was getting hot water at the faucet using city water; so I'm assuming it was all filled up?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
^^^2
Also, check the strainer at the water pump, may be loose or cracked.
I did pull the strainer out and cleaned it; I can feel the suction, but no water gets sucked in through the hose. I can't find where the hose disappears to. It would be under the range and behind the fuse panel.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:49 PM   #6

Is there another valve someplace that blocks water from the freshwater tank up into the camper?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steigw View Post
I did pull the strainer out and cleaned it; I can feel the suction, but no water gets sucked in through the hose. I can't find where the hose disappears to. It would be under the range and behind the fuse panel.
My only other guess is you have a valve partially open. The pump sounds like it is sucking air and not enough vacuum for the water. I would “cycle” you valve for for adding antifreeze instead of water, it may be partially open.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-05-2024, 03:03 PM   #8

One more thing, there is a check valve at your city water intake. There should be a pin on it, take a screwdriver and push on it, make sure it’s not stuck in the open position.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-05-2024, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
My only other guess is you have a valve partially open. The pump sounds like it is sucking air and not enough vacuum for the water. I would “cycle” you valve for for adding antifreeze instead of water, it may be partially open.
I just flipped the antifreeze valve open and then closed. No change in behavior.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
One more thing, there is a check valve at your city water intake. There should be a pin on it, take a screwdriver and push on it, make sure it’s not stuck in the open position.
Underneath the trailer, right under the city water connection, I have two white plastic "spigots" that when I first connected the city water, they both sprayed with good pressure. I've opened and closed those again. I don't see any other valve over there.

One thing I should mention, is that when the pump is running, it's not running super hard. It's reasonably quiet and the pressure I can feel when opening the antifreeze valve isn't really that great. Could it be after 2 years the pump is just wearing out? Or is there something I should be doing directly to the pump to cause it to have greater suction? I remember last season, when it ran, it was much louder than it is now.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:00 PM   #11

The valve I’m talking about is where you connect your hose for city water. It’s an inch or two inside there.
The valves you’re talking about on the bottom are your low point drains.
How much water do you have in your freshwater tank?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-05-2024, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
The valve I’m talking about is where you connect your hose for city water. It’s an inch or two inside there.
The valves you’re talking about on the bottom are your low point drains.
How much water do you have in your freshwater tank?
I just looked over the city water connection and mine doesn't have any recessed areas where additional valve's can be. It just sticks out on the side of the camper. Mine is black, but it looks like this white one I found on amazon.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steigw View Post
I just looked over the city water connection and mine doesn't have any recessed areas where additional valve's can be. It just sticks out on the side of the camper. Mine is black, but it looks like this white one I found on amazon.
Well it looks like the forum software is blocking the link to show the picture. But at on amazon if you type "JR Products 160-85-A-26-A Polar White City Water Flange with 1/2" MPT", you'll see what mine looks like.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:37 PM   #14

I saw it.
About an 1.5 inches inside that is where your check valve is.
How much water is in your freshwater tank?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-05-2024, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
I saw it.
About an 1.5 inches inside that is where your check valve is.
How much water is in your freshwater tank?
I have an 80 gallon freshwater tank and it's almost full. How would I access the check valve? Would I just take off the screen that filters the incoming city water? Or would I have to remove the entire valve? It looks like there is a putty or caulking layer between the valve and the trailer.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:51 PM   #16

Just pop the screen out.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-06-2024, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Just pop the screen out.
first I turned on the water pump, then I popped the screen off of the city water connection. Note that the connection wasn't leaking. I then pushed in on the check valve and when depressed, water squirts out. I release it and water stops squirting out. The pump was running the whole time (quietly) and the interior faucets don't have any pressure. They will let water dribble out without pressure. Any other ideas?
Old 05-06-2024, 12:58 PM   #18

It rather sounds like the pump has an air leak on the suction side, so it never draws any water from the tank. Check the strainer housing carefully to make sure it doesn't have any small cracks. Doesn't take much to break the suction.

watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:54 PM   #19

I’m about out of ideas.
At this point I would take the pump out, test it with a bucket of water, if it does pump water, then you know you have part of your plumbing that is letting it suck air, if it doesn’t, order a new pump from Amazon.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-06-2024, 11:27 PM   #20

Water pump check valve

Could be your water pump check valve. My lump is under my sink was doing the same thing. If you look at the pump there is a small corner with four screws on it I believe and holds the check valve assembly. Another symptom I had of a bad pump check valve was the city water filling up my fresh water tank because the check valve in the pump failed.
Cranb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water pump pulling air