Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #1

Water Pump Running Too Much / 26bh

My water pump seems to be working oddly in my 2017 26bh.

When I run water in any of the faucets, hot or cold, the water pump will begin to run, and will often run for a long time after I turn off the faucet. It might run 20 to 30 seconds or considerably more. Usually, by turning the faucet on and off, I can get the pump to stop after a few tries. It can run for several minutes if allowed.

-- This happens regardless of how full the tank is.

-- The low point drains are closed and not leaking

-- When I filled the tanks most recently, I opened the hot and cold taps in both sinks (but not the shower), and ran the water pump for a portion of the time I was filling the tanks. I wanted to make sure the water heater got full.

-- When using the system, there seems to be some air in the system. Faucets tend to spit before settling into a good stream. This may clear up after a while...I'm not in the trailer right now and will have to test this further.

-- As the pump continues to run, it is sometimes fairly quiet, and some of the time, very noisy like a water hammer situation.

-- I don't see any leaking in the trailer.

-- I don't see any leaking under the trailer

I don't recall this issue in my trailer from 15 years ago. We currently have a 28 foot sailboat with a water tank and similar pump. Pump will run while we run the water, but turns off within seconds of turning off the tap. The only time it will continue to run is when the tank is nearly empty. I should expect the trailer system to function the same as the boat system, right?

Before I start trouble-shooting the entire system, can anyone give me some wisdom on the probable cause?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #2

Are your bypass valves in the correct position??

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

I haven't checked them. You're referring to the bypass valves at the water heater for bypassing it when winterizing?

I haven't checked them, but the trailer's not where I can look at it right now. However, the water heater seems to be functioning well enough to provide a hot shower. Does that tell us anything in the meantime?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

It sounds like the pump check valve has some junk in it. When the check valve isn't holding pressure water bleeds back past the valve and the pump comes back on to build pressure. You need to take the pump apart and clean it out.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

I found a diagram of a typical rv water system online, and noticed a couple one-way valves in the system, notably, one between the pump and the water tank. When I looked up the Sure Flo pump online, I saw that it says it has a "check valve". That must be one-way valve in the diagram...i'm assuming for now.

So, with a little junk in the check valve, the valve fails to close, and pressure can't be built up?

Yup, sounds reasonable.

My wife has the trailer at the local campground where she's hanging out with her friends for a couple days. I'm looking forward to having it in the driveway in a couple days to have a look at the pump. Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

Make sure that you have opened the outside shower to bleed air from it as well. Remember air is compressible liquid is not. So air in the system will cause it to cavitate.
2013 F150 Super Crew 3.5, 3:31
2004 f150 Super Crew 5.4, 3:73 traded
silverark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

Perhaps your valve on your winterization hose is either not closed all the way or it is leaking. This would account for the air in the system.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Having had a few issues with my pump that I had to resolve, it could also be the cheap valve they use for the winterizing antifreeze intake. Mine leaked and would end up sucking a bit of air. My ultimate solution was to install a 5 gallon pressure tank and a Shurflo silencing kit. My pump is extremely quiet now and it rarely runs at night with the tank.

I have also dealt with the antifreeze valve and tightened the clamps on the hoses around the pump.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
My water pump seems to be working oddly in my 2017 26bh.

When I run water in any of the faucets, hot or cold, the water pump will begin to run, and will often run for a long time after I turn off the faucet. It might run 20 to 30 seconds or considerably more. Usually, by turning the faucet on and off, I can get the pump to stop after a few tries. It can run for several minutes if allowed.

-- This happens regardless of how full the tank is.

-- The low point drains are closed and not leaking

-- When I filled the tanks most recently, I opened the hot and cold taps in both sinks (but not the shower), and ran the water pump for a portion of the time I was filling the tanks. I wanted to make sure the water heater got full.

-- When using the system, there seems to be some air in the system. Faucets tend to spit before settling into a good stream. This may clear up after a while...I'm not in the trailer right now and will have to test this further.

-- As the pump continues to run, it is sometimes fairly quiet, and some of the time, very noisy like a water hammer situation.

-- I don't see any leaking in the trailer.

-- I don't see any leaking under the trailer

I don't recall this issue in my trailer from 15 years ago. We currently have a 28 foot sailboat with a water tank and similar pump. Pump will run while we run the water, but turns off within seconds of turning off the tap. The only time it will continue to run is when the tank is nearly empty. I should expect the trailer system to function the same as the boat system, right?

Before I start trouble-shooting the entire system, can anyone give me some wisdom on the probable cause?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #9

I agree with a check valve possibly leaking or the pressure set too high for shut off.

Another great mod is to consider an expansion tank. I have a 2 gallon tank on mine and it's serves 2 purposes.

1. water hammering and pressure softening on the shut off's of faucets.
2. water pump runs until the tank is full and pressure met then shuts off and I can flush or turn on a faucet without the pump kicking on for 15-20 seconds.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #10

All the replies are greatly appreciated. I just put the trailer back in the driveway, so I'll be able to get started trouble-shooting it, now.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #11

Results?!

Well, I know it's been 4 years, but how did the fix go? I'm having similar issues! Would rather not take apart my pump in -20°C weather but the cycling is quite annoying at times.
Farseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #12

I was having the same issue. Later on we ended up at a camp site that had water, so we hooked up the hose. Hours later the on-board water tank was running water out the overflow. Turned out the check valve on the pump was leaking by and backfilling the trailer water tank. Took the pump apart, cleaned it and now it works fine.