Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #1

Water pump silent

Jayco 2020 JayFlight 267BHS travel trailer
I tried to pump antifreeze for winterize, and when a jar was completed, the pump became silent. Any thoughts on my problem?
Its brand new trailer has only used the pump once in the nearest camp,
Work great,
Any help is greatly appreciated
weihuazhang8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #2

Do you have a faucet open? If not, it shut off since there is pressure in the line. It will also get quiet when it is not pulling any liquid.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #3

After pumping the first pot, we found that the faucet in the bathroom was open, and when we closed it, the water pump stopped

no, all faucet has been closed.

I will try and let you know
weihuazhang8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #4

That's why the pump stopped. You should open each faucet individually(hot then cold) kitchen, bath and shower one at a time until the ant-freeze comes out, then close. Then the toilet and don't forget the outside shower if you have one.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:24 PM   #5

If are referring to the pump running silently (or near silent) when the antifreeze ran out, the pump does that when it is out of liquid. Perfectly normal.
cwalker022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
Wsw

Pump runs on demand then builds up a little pressure. Turn faucet on, pump runs till you shut it off. It might run a few seconds for pressure build up.

When winterizing make sure you have every faucet off. If not you will go through 5 gallons of anti freeze before you realize it. Water heater bypass as well or you will fill your heater up quick.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #7

Gotta ask a question ... after reading this forum I thought the best way to go is to pump air through the lines and bleed out all of the water. After that, all one has to do is add antifreeze to the traps and toilet. Will admit I'm not an engineer, or a plumber, but I'm under the impression that if I evacuate as much water from the lines as possible, including the HW tank, that this would be sufficient. I say that as I would think that if by chance there was water left in a particular line, there is more than sufficient room for expansion as you have purged the lines. Am I missing something? Just had to ask the more seasoned vets here.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Gotta ask a question ... after reading this forum I thought the best way to go is to pump air through the lines and bleed out all of the water. After that, all one has to do is add antifreeze to the traps and toilet. Will admit I'm not an engineer, or a plumber, but I'm under the impression that if I evacuate as much water from the lines as possible, including the HW tank, that this would be sufficient. I say that as I would think that if by chance there was water left in a particular line, there is more than sufficient room for expansion as you have purged the lines. Am I missing something? Just had to ask the more seasoned vets here.
That’s the way I have been doing it for years without any problems. But then I live in Arizona and it seldom gets below freezing for more than a few hours.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:

The water pump cannot move air. Once it runs out of water to move and air gets into the pump, the pump will stop moving anything. Some air will get into the lines but not enough for Colorado (where I live). Perhaps fine in warmer climates where freezing is rare. If freezing temps is something to concern yourself with where you live, what you described will not sufficiently protect the water lines between the pump and faucets/toilet. Either purge the lines with an air compressor or use RV antifreeze. Your owners manual will describe how to do each in detail.
cwalker022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalker022 View Post
The water pump cannot move air. Once it runs out of water to move and air gets into the pump, the pump will stop moving anything. Some air will get into the lines but not enough for Colorado (where I live). Perhaps fine in warmer climates where freezing is rare. If freezing temps is something to concern yourself with where you live, what you described will not sufficiently protect the water lines between the pump and faucets/toilet. Either purge the lines with an air compressor or use RV antifreeze. Your owners manual will describe how to do each in detail.

Sorry, I was remiss in not stating that I do use a compressor to blow out the lines.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
I say that as I would think that if by chance there was water left in a particular line, there is more than sufficient room for expansion as you have purged the lines. Am I missing something? Just had to ask the more seasoned vets here.
In theory you are correct. For over 40 years I did both. The extra 15/20 minutes and $6/$8 for the anti-freeze assured me there would be no issues come spring. Why take a chance?