Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2022, 09:35 AM   #1

Water smelling funky

Filled up the water tank. When I open faucets it smells really bad. Any suggestions on what I can do here?
Schilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM   #2

Drain everything - tank, lines, hot water heater, and anything else that uses fresh water - and sanitize the sytem. Bleach works well and is inexpensive. There are other products available to treat your fresh water sytem that don't contain bleach.

Check your owner's manual for the process and correct dilutions. Water left in the heater is often the cause of the foul smell.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:28 AM   #3

X2 on sanitization and why the smell occurs. We had this issue frequently on our 2003 Kiwi 17a, then again after we got our 2013 X20E. We started draining the water heater after each trip and we had no more odor.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #4

Just a thought to share, on an older RV I owned I thought I got a tank of stinky water and it turned out the smell was coming from the drain. If you are not sure, I would pour a Brandy snifter (or just a glass ) about half full of water, take it away from the sink and smell test the water again. Certainly you may have stinky water, but it is worth the test imo, and if the water is stinky, then sanitizing the system is in order, otherwise you need to treat the grey tank and drains. ~CA
Old 08-09-2022, 02:58 PM   #5

Make sure you use the right kind of bleach. You need the stuff with hypochlorite (sp?) and non-scented is best. The color safe is the wrong type. Use 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons. Run it through the lines and then leave it over night. Rinse well before use.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #6

Mine was smelling funky last year.
Drained it, lots of some kinda larvae. I probably got them at a state park, left water in tank for a couple of months after I got home.
Yech....
With water in tank and pump on, go to your low point drain and catch some of them (will be under pressure). Mine were about a 1/4 inch long or a little less.
Be sure and clean or change the pump screen after you finish cleaning out.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #7

If you are at a new place the smell could be sulfur in the water. Seen this many times with well water. If that's the case flushing your system will not do any good as long as you continue to use that same water source.

Otherwise flushing as mentioned with bleach should do the trick. I've always used 1 cup bleach to every 10 gallons of water. Measuring the water is important I wouldn't just guess. You can get a flow meter to connect on your hose on Amazon for well under 20 bucks or just use a 5 gallon bucket to measure the water (you'll probably need a funnel and a spare hand too).
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Otherwise flushing as mentioned with bleach should do the trick. I've always used 1 cup bleach to every 10 gallons of water. Measuring the water is important I wouldn't just guess. You can get a flow meter to connect on your hose on Amazon for well under 20 bucks or just use a 5 gallon bucket to measure the water (you'll probably need a funnel and a spare hand too).
I'm too messy and lazy to funnel.

Time how long to fill 5 gallon bucket. If 20 seconds and you want 10 gallons then run hose for 40 seconds, etc.

If sanitizing you want to fill tank anyway... and run some in lines.
I'd cut back to about 1/4 cup bleach per 10 gallons though. Messes up rubber and aluminum.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote