Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #1

Water tank sanitizing

Hey All,
I have a 2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS. Looking to finally use the water tanks, do they both fill at the same time or one at a time (2 x 40 gals). Tank fill is on back wall with tanks under the fill. I want to sanitize them but I want to make sure I get both equally clean...
As always, respect any and all advice...

2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS
2018 F250 CCSB 6.2
2015 F150 SCSB 2.7TTEB (gone)
Equalizer WD
JJVDAV98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

Our 2016 Jay Flight also has a pair of fresh water tanks. They are connected at their bottoms so fill equally from the fresh water fill connection. There is only 1 fill port for both tanks, but there are 2 drain ports; one for each fresh water tank.

The way I sanitize:
Calculate the amount of bleach needed for the total amount of fresh water; 80gal. Half-fill a 5gal water jug with water. To that, I add the amount of bleach needed for 80gal. Top off the 5gal jug water/bleach solution with water.

With both fresh water tanks empty, pour that 5gal water/bleach solution into the fresh water fill connection. Then, at the fresh water fill connection, add fresh water to completely fill both fresh water tanks. Run the pump and fill all the lines and water heater.

Let it sit. How long depends upon the strength of your bleach solution.

Then you can drain the trailer's water tanks, refill the tanks with fresh water, and run the pump with a hot water tap open to remove the bleach solution from the water heater.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #3

My Jayflight manual stipulates bypassing the water heater when sanitizing the water system. Anyone have an idea as to why this is the case? Thanks.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

Water from your hot water tank should not be considered potable. This is not true just with your RV, but with any hot water tank, as the sediment that forms over time could be harmful.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
Water from your hot water tank should not be considered potable. This is not true just with your RV, but with any hot water tank, as the sediment that forms over time could be harmful.
Thanks. I understand it is not potable, but will not bypassing it during the sanitizing process in some way damage it? If not, why does the manual state to bypass it during the sanitizing process, other than to save on your water bill perhaps? One member in this thread says he also sanitizes the water heater as part of the entire water system in his trailer, which is why I asked the initial question. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #6

Any time we fill our fresh water tanks, we dump about a tbl. spoon of bleach in the fresh water hose before we fill.Still kicken been doing that routine since 2006!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote