Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Wattage Required to Charge 174BH Battery

Greetings,

First time posting to the forum, but I've browsed for awhile now and have learned a lot of tips from you all, so thanks! Anyways, I can't quite find the answer to what I'm looking for. I was given a honda 650 watt generator, which really isn't too helpful with a trailer since so many things require more wattage, but would this 650 watt generator be enough to charge the batteries using my 2018 174bh's on board charging system? Just trying to see if this generator could charge up my battery the next day after running the furnace at night while boondocking.

Thanks,

David
DJS685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Your generator will be just fine running your onboard charger/converter but you're right--it won't run much else. Hair dryers, air conditioner, coffee pot, and microwave will be off limits. It will charge your battery, run lights, charge devices, and play music and tv.

Keep in mind, your furnace blower, if used off and on all night will put a pretty serious dent in your battery charge. Batteries charge slowly. Your generator will power your furnace blower without a problem if you're in an isolated area where noise is not a problem.

What we do is to run the furnace while we're getting ready for bed to keep things cozy. Then your sleeping bags have to do their work. If things start getting nasty you may want to "bump" the furnace once or twice during the night. In the morning you should be able to run your generator and furnace.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Your generator will be just fine running your onboard charger/converter but you're right--it won't run much else. Hair dryers, air conditioner, coffee pot, and microwave will be off limits. It will charge your battery, run lights, charge devices, and play music and tv.

Keep in mind, your furnace blower, if used off and on all night will put a pretty serious dent in your battery charge. Batteries charge slowly. Your generator will power your furnace blower without a problem if you're in an isolated area where noise is not a problem.

What we do is to run the furnace while we're getting ready for bed to keep things cozy. Then your sleeping bags have to do their work. If things start getting nasty you may want to "bump" the furnace once or twice during the night. In the morning you should be able to run your generator and furnace.
What he said x2
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the information, very much appreciated. Going to give it a shot and see how well it does maintaining the charge. Eventually will step up to a 2000 watt generator. It looks like the on board charging system takes anywhere from 3 to 15 amps to charge, depending on battery level. If the charger is wanting to use 15 amps is there any issues with that? Since my generator will only be able to supply roughly 5 amps (I think)?

Thanks!
DJS685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS685 View Post
Thanks for the information, very much appreciated. Going to give it a shot and see how well it does maintaining the charge. Eventually will step up to a 2000 watt generator. It looks like the on board charging system takes anywhere from 3 to 15 amps to charge, depending on battery level. If the charger is wanting to use 15 amps is there any issues with that? Since my generator will only be able to supply roughly 5 amps (I think)?

Thanks!
Those 650 watts are about 6 amps on the 110VAC side of the house. Those same 650 watts on the 12VDC side of the house will be a lot more, like around 50 amps available, converter permitting.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #6

If you go to this site

https://www.inchcalculator.com/watts...ps-calculator/

It has a computation of watts to 12 volt amps.

Looks like 15 amps at 12 volts equals 180 watts. But that does not allow for charging inefficiency, any other loads (lights and such) but your genny should do the job.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote