Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Waxing an aluminum Jay Flight

Please share your experience with waxing the aluminum siding on a Jay Flight trailer. What do you use and why? I'm looking for some product that will last longer than standard car wax. Thanks.
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

In the 5 years we had our 26BH, I think I waxed it twice...just twice. I used Meguiar's M5016 wax. When we traded it in, one of the service techs commented on how well we maintained the TT. Glad I didn't buy into the dealer's sales pitch for cloth and paint protection because $15 worth of wax seemed to do fine.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Liquid Glass ...... it lasts! Sadly to say, can't get it here in Canada anymore. Put it on, wipe it off, than let the sun bake it into the finish. I used to tell the kids after i waxed it..... " smooth as a baby's butt"
Old 02-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

Used Meguires Cleaner wax on both the Jayflight 33rlds and the Bungalow. After waxing both looked like brand new. Even the decals, and both were 2011 and in Arizona
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

I wax my 2016 aluminum sided Jay Flight 38FDDS with Meguiars liquid cleaning wax every fall. My rig doesn't move so it really doesn't get that dirty but I protect the finish non the less. It goes on and off very easily and leaves a beautiful shine. My 38 foot box is a bear to wax just because of the size, but I'm always happy once it's done.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Used Meguires Cleaner wax on both the Jayflight 33rlds and the Bungalow. After waxing both looked like brand new. Even the decals, and both were 2011 and in Arizona
I use the same — it is for a RVs and boats. I wax at the beginning and end of the summer. Still get those nasty black streaks when it rains, but they wipe off easily with the aluminum waxed well. (This is after a summer with more than 70 days over 100*).
Attached Thumbnails
9D7866A9-6239-4D58-920D-45311239AB0C.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

I use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax. It is synthetic base and seems to last longer than others I have used. It lasts 6 months on our car. First time I used it I first used a clay bar mitt to clean the aluminum. With wax applied it was sooooo smooth.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one. We have a 2021SLX8 287 with aluminum siding; picked it up last August, and we love it. The owner's manual recommends waxing it a couple times a year, but doesn't suggest a type (other than avoiding combo wash/wax products.) I see many posts in various forum threads about people waxing their rigs, and a few folks on some of the posts above mention Meguiars Cleaning Wax.

I actually enjoy washing vehicles and trailers -- I'm not lazy, and this is our pride and joy -- but I hate waxing, or at least the laborious buffing process. Just thinking of doing it twice a year makes my shoulders ache.

I assume a liquid product would be easier than a paste, but then again, the manual says to avoid wax on weatherstripping and black-painted surfaces, so maybe a paste is easier to control. There seem to be a lot of choices out there, so I'm looking for recommendations -- both in terms of products and application means.

Is a power buffer in my future?

Thank you in advance.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #9

While it’s not at the top of my “fun” list, waxing the TT and seeing it gleam does give a certain pleasure. I’ll do it at the start of the season for protection, as we spend quite a bit of time at the coast. If I’m energetic, I’ll do it again in the fall before throwing the cover on it.

I wash it with a diluted automotive cleaner, then use Meguiar’s one-step cleaner wax for RVs and just buff it off by hand. (I’ve not seen a Jayco warning not to use cleaner-wax.) Goes on and wipes off easily. I’ve been applying it over the decals, too, and they are still good as new. I use an applicator pad and don’t get it on the weatherstripping or black plastic “fenders.”

For the TPO roof, I wash it only with a mild diluted bucket of Dawn detergent and use a very soft pole brush.

For me, I prefer the aluminum-sided rig. Waxing it is easier than dealing with fiberglass/gel coat. The sailboat gives me enough of that.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
While it’s not at the top of my “fun” list, waxing the TT and seeing it gleam does give a certain pleasure. I’ll do it at the start of the season for protection, as we spend quite a bit of time at the coast. If I’m energetic, I’ll do it again in the fall before throwing the cover on it.

I wash it with a diluted automotive cleaner, then use Meguiar’s one-step cleaner wax for RVs and just buff it off by hand. (I’ve not seen a Jayco warning not to use cleaner-wax.) Goes on and wipes off easily. I’ve been applying it over the decals, too, and they are still good as new. I use an applicator pad and don’t get it on the weatherstripping or black plastic “fenders.”

For the TPO roof, I wash it only with a mild diluted bucket of Dawn detergent and use a very soft pole brush.

For me, I prefer the aluminum-sided rig. Waxing it is easier than dealing with fiberglass/gel coat. The sailboat gives me enough of that.
My Jayco owner's manual says not to use the "one-step" type products:

"Try to avoid combination wash-n-wax products as these waxes can cause build up and are designed for smaller surfaces." I believe these may cause spotting if not wiped off before drying, as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2021, 07:18 AM   #11

Another vote here for Meguiars Cleaner / Wax. I do my trailer every March before the full season starts for us here in NY. I try to do it again around June but don't always pull that one off. I do wash it at least monthly using a foam cannon and brushes.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Another vote here for Meguiars Cleaner / Wax. I do my trailer every March before the full season starts for us here in NY. I try to do it again around June but don't always pull that one off. I do wash it at least monthly using a foam cannon and brushes.
(To all):

I'm a little bewildered by the recommendations for "Meguiars Cleaner Wax", as, looking on Amazon, there are at least 5 types with that name:

A1216 (red bottle)
M5001 (blue jug, a 1-step product)
M5032 (blue bottle, "Marine/RV, says for gel coat)
M0616 (beige bottle, Mirror glaze)
M6133 (black bottle, Flagship premium)

Clarification? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #13
CAG

Rejex. It was developed originally for aircraft. Can’t get more aluminum than that. Look at Rejex.com and search it here. You will find it recommended often.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
(To all):

I'm a little bewildered by the recommendations for "Meguiars Cleaner Wax", as, looking on Amazon, there are at least 5 types with that name:

A1216 (red bottle)
M5001 (blue jug, a 1-step product)
M5032 (blue bottle, "Marine/RV, says for gel coat)
M0616 (beige bottle, Mirror glaze)
M6133 (black bottle, Flagship premium)

Clarification? Thanks.
Granted, I’ve had mine for quite a while, so maybe they’ve changed the packaging and/or formulation. But this is it. The info on the back specifically recommends for painted and metal surfaces on RVs and trailers. I can’t argue with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
B6F3242E-8919-4841-8676-24625ACB7405.jpg   11387BFA-0D21-43B0-AA98-5480588D7704.jpg  
Old 05-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #15

Finally Able the cleaner wax I was talking about is in a can, red in color It is a paste and you put it on and then get some soft cloths and wipe it off comes out super nice
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote